• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question for WVU fans

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, in your opinion, which conference is tougher in basketball? Big 12 or Big East. IMO, I've always thought the Big East was overhyped. Don't get me wrong, it is/was a good basketball conference, I just didn't think it was as tough as ESPN made it out to be.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question.

The Big East was a huge monster. Unfortunately, you only played 3 teams twice in a season. The bottom of the BE was like the bottom of the Big 12... the teams were not good, and you likely didn't have to play your best to win against them.

IMO, the BE was the best basketball conference in the country. Yes, there were 16 teams, but every year there were 8-10 really tough opponents to face.

The Big 12 has a true round robin, and this makes navigating it a challenge.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas simple answer comes in a quesion.

How many Big 12 teams made it to the final four since 1990?
How many Big East teams made it to the final four since 1990?

Here's some with some answers.

How many Big 12 teams won the NC since 1990? answer 1-Kansas
How many Big East teams won the NC since 1990 answer 3 UConn Louisville, Syracuse 5 NCs total.

Go back to 1984 Big East 8 NCs for the BE 2 for Kansas.

Other than Kansas, the BE blew away the B12 in BBall.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing with the Big East is that you always had 4-6 worthless teams on the bottom. But at the top you would have a number of schools that were final four worthy. Even though WVU won the Big East and made it to the final four in 2010, I doubt we were the best team in the conference.

I'm not adjusted to Big XII hoops yet, but it seems like we have a lot of teams that are sweet 16 worthy, and then Kansas. *shrugs* Maybe times are changing and I haven't caught up yet.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, in your opinion, which conference is tougher in basketball? Big 12 or Big East. IMO, I've always thought the Big East was overhyped. Don't get me wrong, it is/was a good basketball conference, I just didn't think it was as tough as ESPN made it out to be.

That's what everyone said last year, before Louisville won the title.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BigEast, different kind of animal. More physical than the Big12 overall but the new rules have whittled some of that type of play away now. This years Big12 imo is the best conference in the country but its still different than some of the bloodbaths that used to occur when the BE was "right".

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas simple answer comes in a quesion.

How many Big 12 teams made it to the final four since 1990?
How many Big East teams made it to the final four since 1990?

Here's some with some answers.

How many Big 12 teams won the NC since 1990? answer 1-Kansas
How many Big East teams won the NC since 1990 answer 3 UConn Louisville, Syracuse 5 NCs total.

Go back to 1984 Big East 8 NCs for the BE 2 for Kansas.

Other than Kansas, the BE blew away the B12 in BBall.

Meh, that just sounds like SEC sack swinging (riding the backs of just a few teams and really, UCONN is the only reason the Big East has been relevant in the NC picture; kinda how Team SEC rides Bama's jock). I only ask b/c WVU is getting worked over in basketball in the Big 12 worse than they ever did in the Big East.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, that just sounds like SEC sack swinging (riding the backs of just a few teams and really, UCONN is the only reason the Big East has been relevant in the NC picture; kinda how Team SEC rides Bama's jock). I only ask b/c WVU is getting worked over in basketball in the Big 12 worse than they ever did in the Big East.

Didn't Louisville win the NC last year?

WVU struggled in the BE at times. You clearly have no clue…

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Couldn't the same thing be said about the Big 12 and Kansas???

BE even has a NC over the Big 12 when the Cuse beat Kansas in '03....if memory serves me right, they also beat Texas on the way to the final.

Since 2000 6 different teams made it to the final four for the BE(Cuse, WVU, GTown,UConn,Ville,Nova) with 3 teams doing it multiple times... same period 4 teams from the Big 12(Kansas, Ok ST, Oklahoma, Texas) with only Kansas doing it multiple times.

Big 12 is some solid basketball this year and I hope it contimues down that path, but for me the BE was just a awesome bball conf.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, WVU is 7-6 in conference play, 1/2 a game out of 4th place. Is that really "Getting worked over"? Also, WVU is a bunch of Freshmen and Sophomores. This team has ZERO Seniors. EVERYONE comes back next year. MOST come back the year after that...

UConn is the only reason? I hope you mean at present...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UConn ain't even in the BE anymore.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dont forget about Georgetown, Villanova, Syracuse, and Louisville who have NCs in the Big East. And BTW, when we got to the BE, we were a doormat for many years before we were able to compete. The B12 has just never been a basketball conference. This year is the first time I have heard of anyone in the B12 being relevant outside of Kansas.

WVU is only playing with 9 scholarship players. Not being in the Big East is a big hit to our recruiting expecially in NYC where we don't play a conference championship anymore. Yet with a team full of Freshman Sophomores and walkons, we are middle of the pack in the B12. If we had this team in the old BE we would be near the bottom.

That being said, we have one of the best coaches in the business and we are now in arguably the weakest power conference (historically, not this year). If Huggins gets his recruits in here, look for WVU to win more conference championships.

In the BE, we won football championships because it was easy, but basketball was hard and winning the BE one year was big accomplishment. That has flipped in the B12. Football championships will be darn near impossible for WVU but we will get some in bball.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont forget about Georgetown, Villanova, Syracuse, and Louisville who have NCs in the Big East. And BTW, when we got to the BE, we were a doormat for many years before we were able to compete. The B12 has just never been a basketball conference. This year is the first time I have heard of anyone in the B12 being relevant outside of Kansas.

WVU is only playing with 9 scholarship players. Not being in the Big East is a big hit to our recruiting expecially in NYC where we don't play a conference championship anymore. Yet with a team full of Freshman Sophomores and walkons, we are middle of the pack in the B12. If we had this team in the old BE we would be near the bottom.

That being said, we have one of the best coaches in the business and we are now in arguably the weakest power conference (historically, not this year). If Huggins gets his recruits in here, look for WVU to win more conference championships.

In the BE, we won football championships because it was easy, but basketball was hard and winning the BE one year was big accomplishment. That has flipped in the B12. Football championships will be darn near impossible for WVU but we will get some in bball.

Doubtful on that part. Seton Hall, USF, Rutgers, DePaul, St. John's and Providence are all pretty weak. This WVU team would be middle of the pack as well in the Big East. BTW, I'm glad WVU is in the Big 12; I just thought WVU would be competing for Big 12 titles in basketball immediately and help dethrone KU. With one and doners today, being young is very common now. Hell, Texas starts 3 freshmen, a soph and a junior. Last year, we started 3 fresh and 2 soph. I just think the Big East received waaaay too much hype by the media over the years. Doesn't mean it was/is a good conference, I just don't think it was as great of a conference as ESPN made it out to be.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just thought WVU would be competing for Big 12 titles in basketball immediately and help dethrone KU.

Just shows you that you are uninformed about WVU basketball. WVU had a tough time in the BE in its last year of competition... finishing with a 9-9 record. Last year, it's first in the Big 12 was void of leadership and had some bad chemistry affecting its practice and game performance. Huggy told 3 kids who would be juniors this year, they were not welcome back... and helped them transfer to another school.

WVU had only 5 returning players this year. They are competing well in the Big 12 with its inexperienced squad. It would not be competing this well in the old BE this year.

With teams like Pitt, SU, UConn, UofL, Cincy, Nova all ranked.... SU, Nova and Cincy and UofL are all ranked in the top 10 or just outside.

The Big 12 just doesn't have the same quality depth.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we will ever be a threat to unseat KU as far as a national brand/power ect. we are talking about one of maybe 4-5 best programs in CBB history if not THE best. Will we have our years (like everyone else in the conference) where we will win it and get #1 seeds in the dance ect. sure but give credit where it's due, KU is special when your talking hoops, and always will be.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just shows you that you are uninformed about WVU basketball. WVU had a tough time in the BE in its last year of competition... finishing with a 9-9 record. Last year, it's first in the Big 12 was void of leadership and had some bad chemistry affecting its practice and game performance. Huggy told 3 kids who would be juniors this year, they were not welcome back... and helped them transfer to another school.

WVU had only 5 returning players this year. They are competing well in the Big 12 with its inexperienced squad. It would not be competing this well in the old BE this year.

With teams like Pitt, SU, UConn, UofL, Cincy, Nova all ranked.... SU, Nova and Cincy and UofL are all ranked in the top 10 or just outside.

The Big 12 just doesn't have the same quality depth.

Lots of media hype, IMO. I mean, the Big East sent 8 teams to the tourney last year. 5 were eliminated in the 1st round. The year before, Big East sent 9 teams to the tourney; 6 were eliminated by the 2nd round. In 2011, the Big East sent 11 teams and 8 of them were eliminated by the 2nd round (to be fair though, 2 teams were eliminated by 2 Big East teams). Still, take those two away and half of the Big East teams were eliminated by the 2nd round. I guess this is why I've thought the Big East has been overhyped the past few years in basketball.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we will ever be a threat to unseat KU as far as a national brand/power ect. we are talking about one of maybe 4-5 best programs in CBB history if not THE best. Will we have our years (like everyone else in the conference) where we will win it and get #1 seeds in the dance ect. sure but give credit where it's due, KU is special when your talking hoops, and always will be.

Oh, I do. KU would dominate in any conference, I'm just tired of watching KU win the Big 12 every year. Anyway, I'm sure WVU will starting winning Big 12 titles in basketball. I was just ready to see it from day 1. In your opinion, do you think the Big 12 is tougher than you thought it would be in men's basketball?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I probably should have changed the title of the thread to, "Question for WVU fans, do you think the Big 12 is tougher in basketball than you originally thought?", although I still believe the Big East receives too much hype.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's one thing. WVU has never been a dominant hoops power. Even when we were in the Atlantic 10 we rarely ever won it. WVU was, is, and always will be a spoiler.