• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Probably too early for this...

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...but at what point this year do the Broncos see what they have in Lock? I realize Flacco isn’t the problem, and because I don’t give 2 schitts about the business/contract side of this game I am not clear on what Flacco’s restructure means to the team going forward. Also, there’s the minor detail of Lock being sidelined while recovering from that preseason injury.

With all that said, let’s say this team manages a couple wins but is still 2-7 or so going into the bye week. They have got to get their rookie some reps! At that point the future needs to be now! The remaining games can prove valuable for his development going forward.

What say the fans? Is it too early to have this discussion? I say no. At 0-3 this team is clearly in a place of transition. I don’t think it’s entirely broken, but there is a lot of work to be done. If they’re heading for another post season miss I’d prefer to see as much of the rookie as we can.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has to be healthy first.

This is my biggest problem with how Elway has handled the QB position. He signs a veteran then drafts a project. Manning/Osweiler, Sanchez/Siemian, Keenum/Lynch, Flacco/Lock.

The problem is, the veterans he signs are mediocre and the Bronco fan base is not a patient one. We get restless when a team we expect to be good starts losing. Happened with Orton and Tebow. Happened with Manning and Osweiler. Happened with Siemian and Lynch. Happened with Keenum and Lynch. And will happen with Flacco and Lock.

And that leads to the biggest issue. These guys end up having to start well before they should.

Tebow wasnt ready (and most would argue he never would be), yet he had the most success taking a mediocre team to the playoffs.

Osweiler was pressed into duty on one of the most stacked Broncos team in franchise history, and did well under the circumstances, however his career has shown he is not a prime time QB.

Siemian was a 7th round pick. Expections shouldn't be high for a guy of his pedigree, but with a premier franchise, expectations are going to be high regardless. In any case, Trevor also floundered.

Osweiler 2.0 went nowhere.

Keenum was never any good, which forced Lynch into the starting role well before he could develop. We all know how that turned out.

Which leads to Flacco and Lock. Flacco is a known quantity in the NFL. No NFL defensive coordinator sees Flacco and worries. We're at 0-3, fans are already getting restless, and once Lock is healthy fans are gonna be chanting for for him.

Only problem, he isn't ready. From what I saw in the preseason, Drew Lock's just as raw as Lynch was. He's got physical tools, sure, but he hasn't translated them to NFL speed yet.

I'm guessing Lock gets thrown to the wolves too early and if I had to put money on it, I'd say it's much more likely that he sinks rather than swims.

Long story short, Elway's plan to have a project sit behind a veteran has not worked out. He really needs to find a new track. Broncos fans give Elway a lot of leeway. But they won't be afraid to voice they're displeasure if something doesn't change soon.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
too-soon-gif-1.gif

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he gets a year.
iknowftbll Flaco can be cut and still cost us the same is all from what I have seen 18 million this year just gets spead out. not positive on this.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do what do you want to do if we go into the bye at 5-4? Then what do you want to do? What about 4-5?

I think this team is close to taking a step and breaking through. Only time will tell though and once they get 1 win it could be contagious just like sacks.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do what do you want to do if we go into the bye at 5-4? Then what do you want to do? What about 4-5?

I think this team is close to taking a step and breaking through. Only time will tell though and once they get 1 win it could be contagious just like sacks.

At 4-5 I’d say this team will have shown some serious resiliency and maybe sticking with Flacco post-bye would be okay. Definitely 5-4.

I think 3-6, definitely 2-7 and maybe time to give the reigns to the roomie, assuming he’s healthy by then. Expectations would be non-existent and the team would get a good look at what they have.

Personally I hope the Broncos right the ship. The Texans were 0-3 last year and finished 11-5. Colts were 1-5 and finished 10-6. Chiefs a couple years ago were 1-5 before finishing 11-5.

I’m hoping for something along those lines with this team.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why there's all this talk about "see what we've got" with Locke.

We have what we had in preseason. Nothing has changed, except right now he's injured and rehabbing.

It's as if we expect some miracle growth spurt in 8 weeks and all of sudden he's not a rookie.

Kid's raw. And you throw him out there in week 6, 12, or 17 he'll still look raw.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kid's raw. And you throw him out there in week 6, 12, or 17 he'll still look raw.
How do you get him unraw? Sitting on the bench?

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. If they reach a point where they have to make the switch I’ll officially have zero expectations of the team the rest of the season. It’ll take, like ive already said, a 2-7 or so record at the bye week for them to go to Lock. At that point I’d not expect him to suddenly reverse the team’s fortunes. I’d expect him to get some growing pains out of the way in a season that is more or less already lost.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did Mischew look in preseason. He was threw in the fire by accident and has looked good so far.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You give him reps in practice. In a controlled setting. You give him reps in camp. You let him play with the starters. And then he starts next year.

You don't put a kid out there who never had to call a play in the huddle before this year and expect him to do anything well. All he'll learn is how to get hit, how to force throws, and how to frustrate the hell out of the others on the team.

You really want to kill morale? Put in a kid at QB who can still eff up the play call.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I now think the Broncos should play Drew Lock, as soon as he's able to return. I don't necessarily think Flacco has been our biggest problem. He's actually done okay but we need to get this kid live action reps to see what we have. The organization needs to know if we'll be using our high first round draft pick on a quarterback or not next year and understanding if Drew Lock can be the guy is a huge part of that. I know we'd take a cap hit on Flacco but so be it.

I also think our defense if our biggest problem right now. It's been a long time since I felt that way but it's becoming more clear. Whereas, the offense seems to have a number of bright, young players that look like our future core. I just don't think there's much that can be done with the defense this year, so let's get Drew Lock some time on the field. Now, it's more about rebuilding for next year and in order to do that, we need to go into full evaluation mode.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s time to start considering that we have a real shot at drafting Justin Herbert.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let Lock start. He needs to be mentally strong anyways to succeed. Rams threw Goff in went 0-7 then Super Bowl.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not given up on the season yet. I will admit that this year has not gone as planned but it is not a lost cause yet. The Dolphins closest game was last week losing by only 20. If you are losing like that then I would have a different opinion. The team does need to go on a run between now and the bye.
At Chargers - They can win this one. The Chargers are not a bad team but they are beatable.
Vs Titans - This game is one that the team should win at home.
Vs Chiefs - I think this could be a win, but maybe too much to even hope for given the way they have lost so far.
At Colts - A tough game but one that they can win. More then likely a loss though.
Vs Browns - The Browns are up and down and I think in Denver they are beatable.

If they can beat the Chargers, Titans, and Browns then they are sitting at 3-6 at the bye and 3-2 in their last 5. Not great but not bad.