• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason Practice

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is a medical redshirt a possibility? I'm not very knowledgeable on what is necessary for that but I would think now would be a good time to seek one.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a medical redshirt don't you have to miss like 60% or more of 2 different seasons?

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Josh Stanford is getting a lot of love from the coaches. This is awesome given how thin we will be at WR in the near future.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dorian Johnson is quickly becoming the most important prospect of 2013. We pretty much need all of our OL in the last few years to pan out or we are going to have major depth issues in 2-3 years

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think that if he were to miss another season for medical reasons that he could petition the ncaa to get his fifth year back (pretty sure that's the reason dyrell got a medical redshirt). from what i understand, when you step on campus, you have five years to fulfill four years of eligibility .. if he were to get injured, he could get that FIFTH year ... so in short, he'll have 2 yrs of eligibility left starting next season, not three.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think that if he were to miss another season for medical reasons that he could petition the ncaa to get his fifth year back (pretty sure that's the reason dyrell got a medical redshirt). from what i understand, when you step on campus, you have five years to fulfill four years of eligibility .. if he were to get injured, he could get that FIFTH year ... so in short, he'll have 2 yrs of eligibility left starting next season, not three.

Dyrell didn't redshirt during a healthy season. Acree did.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Look for a few more shakeups in the secondary this week. Also, looks like between 1-3 freshmen WR may see the field. Wouldn't be surprised to see Meyer earn a Scholarship for 2014 or 2015, dude is having a monster pre-season thus far.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is so special about today that has the NFL teams showing up?

I guess not all practices are open to scouts, today's is. Obviously some are looking at LT but I imagine a lot are there to look at the guys on defense and maybe Marcus Davis.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What is so special about today that has the NFL teams showing up?
Happens every year during preseason, they come in and take a look, evaluate, etc. This year there "seems" to be more teams, that may not be the case but it sure feels like it. Doesn't hurt having a potential first round QB on the field...

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So with Dorian Johnson seeming more like a longshot now I'm reminded of how bad the 2013 O-line might be. I can see Carlis Parker starting as a true freshman and being used mainly as a rusher in a platoon with Leal sort of like Tyrod was. If that happens at the very least Beamer might finally get rid of some dead weight (ahem Newsome) Of course I'll change my opinion of Newsome if the O-line is decent the next 2 years. We'll see

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with Dorian Johnson seeming more like a longshot now I'm reminded of how bad the 2013 O-line might be. I can see Carlis Parker starting as a true freshman and being used mainly as a rusher in a platoon with Leal sort of like Tyrod was. If that happens at the very least Beamer might finally get rid of some dead weight (ahem Newsome) Of course I'll change my opinion of Newsome if the O-line is decent the next 2 years. We'll see

If you were banking on Johnson being a saving grace for the O-line then you were sadly mistaken. Don't write off anyone when they have a year to improve. Its getting really old that you don't give anyone a chance.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If you were banking on Johnson being a saving grace for the O-line then you were sadly mistaken. Don't write off anyone when they have a year to improve. Its getting really old that you don't give anyone a chance.

No wasn't counting on Johnson making a difference immediately. I was just reminded of how this team struggles with the O-line, recruiting and performance. Newsome has been coaching O-line at VT since 2006 and during that time I'd also hope that he has been given the responsibility of picking out who he wants for his O-line. Just going by the results most head coaches would've made a change already or would be seriously contemplating it. I don't know if Beamer is though. Like I said even I think he deserves the next 2 years to show something.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our OL was pretty good last year, and may be better this year. Looking ahead to 2013... both our starting OGs and C should be back, and with pretty good depth behind them. Shuman (who was a 4 star) will likely step into the vacated LT spot. We'll need someone to step up and man RT, and that is definitely a concern. But it's not like things are going to completely fall apart over the next 2 years. There are certainly some things to work on, but I'm hopeful that it's trending the right direction.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look for Conte to step up in a year or 2. He performed well enough in the camps they wanted him there now, not as a prep. A full year in the program could be huge for him.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
honestly, 2015 and beyond is when i really start to worry ... hopefully, the two we got in '12, the two we have for '13, benedict works out, willenbrock works out .. we'll be fine but there's not a huge margin for error .. these guys have to pan out. we can't afford this "painter a 4* prospect and finally showing his shit ... as a senior" ... we need guys to start showing up as r-so ... some of them able to start. but that's a long time from now. we could recruit 4 4* OL by then who can contribute as true freshmen...you never know.

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't generally have a negative outlook on our program whatsoever, but I have to agree that our OL recruiting is a weak point. Recruiting 2 linemen per class is never going to bring the depth to have a good OL (unless you plan on switching half of your TEs to the OL), it's just simple math.