• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason Practice

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cole is a rover, Frye is a FS....two completely different positions.

I understand they're different positions, but the coaches move guys around between them, and I'm pretty sure Cole was listed as the 2nd FS on the spring depth chart. Looking at the latest roster, you're right, they have him as a rover. Anyone else think it's odd that Bonner is the only non-freshman listed at FS right now? It's asking a lot for a true freshman to come in and take all the 2nd-team reps at a position that's as complicated as FS is in our system. I realize if Bonner were injured it's more likely one of the other starters would shift over there, but still... Not saying the coaches don't know what they're doing, just looks a little odd to an outsider.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually speaking about Michael Cole in the earlier post. Didn't he have a recent injury or was I thinking about Spring??

EDIT: Found some articles. Cole had a hamstring issue that he struggled with this spring. Would like to think that is well healed by now, but probably put him behind a little bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cole had a hamstring issue that he struggled with this spring. Would like to think that is well healed by now, but probably put him behind a little bit.

Thanks. Should be ok by now, I would think, and he wasn't one of the hamstring guys they mentioned yesterday. I don't know.

How far behind a true freshman can you fall before the first day of practice? :)

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan turned me on to these, but some pics from the first practice, here for free from TSL:

http://www.techsideline.com/wp-content/gallery/2012-august-vt-first-football-practice/img_1103.jpg

Some highlights:

Caleb is jacked and looks the part (15):

img_1087.jpg

Our DL:

img_1103.jpg

Deon Clarke:

img_1125.jpg

Fuller, Manning and Riley

img_1131.jpg

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our DL looks massive, Kyle Fuller looks like a beast

Ray

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's a good walk on. but tookes and riley may beat him out before season comes. and manning isn't as small as i thought

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
from the looks of some tweets, seems as if some depth at OL may be coming along (specifically, acree may be in line for some playing time)

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know what happened to Luther Maddy? He left practice early....then tweeted this..."Everything happens for a reason, this gotta be a sign from God."

dngrcnnn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know what happened to Luther Maddy? He left practice early....then tweeted this..."Everything happens for a reason, this gotta be a sign from God."

I don't know, but it sure doesn't sound like a good thing.

Edit: Scratch that, further tweets say "he's doing good", whatever that means.

Last edited by a moderator:

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scratch that, further tweets say "he's doing good", whatever that means.

I'm still worried here. I hope "doing good" isn't just referring to his state of mind after suffering a devastating injury.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
more on yesterday's secondary position changes:
Tech’s coaching staff made some moves on the defensive side of the ball, mostly involving younger guys. Freshman Dahman McKinnon was moved from free safety to whip linebacker. With senior Wiley Brown currently not with the team because of family issues and with his future in question, the Hokies had just three whips on the first two days of practice. McKinnon, from Hope Mills, N.C., was pegged as a whip when Tech’s staff recruited him, so the move makes sense.

Additionally, redshirt freshman Michael Cole was moved from rover to free safety and ran with the No. 2 defense today. Freshman Greg Jones, a walk-on from Lorton, Va., who had an interception during the pass skeleton drill yesterday, has been moved from free safety to rover, while freshman Davion Tookes, from Fairburn, Ga., was moved from the boundary corner to the field corner and redshirt sophomore Carl Jackson went from field corner to the boundary corner.

Jackson has been in Tech’s system for two years now, so he possesses a better grasp of the defense and figures to be able to better challenge Tech’s receivers until the young guys get caught up. Competition makes everyone better.

Five observations from Tech's practice

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TheClubhouseKB
QB Coach Mike O'Cain says that Fr. WR Josh Stanford is more ready to play right now than Fr. WR Joel Caleb.

Torrian Gray says anyone worried that Fr. CB Donaldven Manning being 155 lbs. should know that he was 141 lbs in the spring.

That's intriguing stuff.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't be asked to do too much bump and run for a couple years im assuming.