• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason magazines

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athlon is available now
Steele is delayed until like late July and wont be on shelf this year. you can preorder. I believe digital may already be available or at least partial.
Im pretty sure i saw Street & Smith the other day
havent seen sporting news or Lindy's
those are the ones i usually see.

I have Athlon on the way.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athlon is available now
Steele is delayed until like late July and wont be on shelf this year. you can preorder. I believe digital may already be available or at least partial.

Oh no, whatever will we do without Steeles 500 page book about how wonderful he is with his 5 notes in the back about actual football.

THUNDER

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athlon is available now

Juggs magazine is available tho.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh no, whatever will we do without Steeles 500 page book about how wonderful he is with his 5 notes in the back about actual football.
I dont mind steele he has a good breakdown but i generally skip to where he mentions last season or this season.
I skip the back in 2005 team x had rb doe. And for the next 15 years they did this.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm eagerly awaiting for my postwoman to deliver this.. It's the bible of Texas Football.. from HighSchool to the Pros.

2-6117485.jpg

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm eagerly awaiting for my postwoman to deliver this.. It's the bible of Texas Football.. from HighSchool to the Pros.

2-6117485.jpg
Meh

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the best.. because it covers the best state for football in the union. Send me a link to the oregon greensheet that covers the state of oregon football.. i have ten minutes to kill

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2-6117485.jpg
Wish LA had a high school football magazine that came out before mid-August.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the best.. because it covers the best state for football in the union. Send me a link to the oregon greensheet that covers the state of oregon football.. i have ten minutes to kill
just seems very over the top. i only really like college tho. dont go to highschool games since i left highschool and just never got over the top for NFL

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just seems very over the top. i only really like college tho. dont go to highschool games since i left highschool and just never got over the top for NFL

And there ya go. Football in Texas is like a religion. And playing a team in Texas like Oklahoma does every year puts those games on the level of a religious war, not like the cute little tiff Oregon has going with Washington. I know Oregon and Washington like the back of my hand and the football fever in those two states gets hot but it is never to the same level it gets to in the RRSO. It doesn't come close. People HATE losing that game. Coaches are hired and fired over that game. And the rivalry is even better because no one has any foggy idea who might jump up and beat the other team even when the matchups look uneven on paper. So, Texas prints its annual Bible and those of us who live and die on recruiting in Texas read it too from cover to cover.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Goldbug nailed it. The more I got into recruiting the more I really enjoyed watching THSFB. If you ever have a chance to be in Dallas (Arlington) during the state championships, do yourself a favor and attend one of the days. You'd be amazed how quickly you get to know a name, then in a few years you'll hear that same name having some real success at a university.

I'm from Austin, my schools sucks, they only made the playoffs twice since I graduated in 98, but I still root for the local schools in the area no named Westlake.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there ya go. Football in Texas is like a religion. And playing a team in Texas like Oklahoma does every year puts those games on the level of a religious war, not like the cute little tiff Oregon has going with Washington. I know Oregon and Washington like the back of my hand and the football fever in those two states gets hot but it is never to the same level it gets to in the RRSO. It doesn't come close. People HATE losing that game. Coaches are hired and fired over that game. And the rivalry is even better because no one has any foggy idea who might jump up and beat the other team even when the matchups look uneven on paper. So, Texas prints its annual Bible and those of us who live and die on recruiting in Texas read it too from cover to cover.
feels like you missed my post altogther. I said i prefer college football to anything then you go on about college football.
My typical preseason is reading 3 of these magazines cover to cover. I have 3 tvs set up to watch games sometimes add in computer. there are 130 teams in FBS i watch at least 1 game by each of them yearly or get as close to it as i can. im west coast so i wake up at 6am for gameday and watch all day til Hawaii ends sunday morning if they are on tv.
i travel coast to coast when i can to watch games even if means redeye friday night and sunday to back to work on monday. been to Hawaii to Army and lots in between. Ive sailgated 2 of the big 3. 2 games in 1 day (seems easy watching on tv but going is a different experience) have yet to go to a conference championship but have been to bowls including Rose.
trust me i get passion.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
feels like you missed my post altogther. I said i prefer college football to anything then you go on about college football.
My typical preseason is reading 3 of these magazines cover to cover. I have 3 tvs set up to watch games sometimes add in computer. there are 130 teams in FBS i watch at least 1 game by each of them yearly or get as close to it as i can. im west coast so i wake up at 6am for gameday and watch all day til Hawaii ends sunday morning if they are on tv.
i travel coast to coast when i can to watch games even if means redeye friday night and sunday to back to work on monday. been to Hawaii to Army and lots in between. Ive sailgated 2 of the big 3. 2 games in 1 day (seems easy watching on tv but going is a different experience) have yet to go to a conference championship but have been to bowls including Rose.
trust me i get passion.

Oly, you are a rare bird (pun intended) among the typical Ducks fans. You actually know something about the game and you wear a loss or a win for longer than your next trip to downtown Portland so you can march in another ANTIFA protest. People like you don't waste time on that crap. The vast majority of Oregon fans couldn't discuss the intricacies of an onside kick if you paid them $100. People on this board give you a hard time for your unceasing support of the Ducks but I applaud it. It's exactly what the typical OU and UT fan does 24/7/365. It's damn important to you to kick Washington's ass unlike most of your fellow Ducks fans who just shrug off a loss and switch over to whatever is their Fad of the Week. If Oregon had more fans like you, I wish we could play you guys every year.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Goldbug nailed it. The more I got into recruiting the more I really enjoyed watching THSFB. If you ever have a chance to be in Dallas (Arlington) during the state championships, do yourself a favor and attend one of the days. You'd be amazed how quickly you get to know a name, then in a few years you'll hear that same name having some real success at a university.

I'm from Austin, my schools sucks, they only made the playoffs twice since I graduated in 98, but I still root for the local schools in the area no named Westlake.
Not a High School football fan as an adult, but that is such a great point! I do know how big it is in Texas and some other places!

On a much smaller scale - when I was a kid in Birmingham, I loved High School Football in the Magic City and suburbs - especially my neighborhood Berry Buccaneers! I saw all the teams play and enjoyed games @ Legion Field, Lawson Field and all of the High School stadiums.

I saw players like Jeff Rutledge, Tony Nathan, Major Ogilvie, etc. have great High School careers and go on to Alabama and do big things. I'll never forget the Nathan game (Woodlawn @ Vestavia Hills in 1974). Woodlawn won 14-7. Nathan scored both TDs. One on a long run, and the other on an interception return. My neighbor (who graduated from Woodlawn) took me to see the future Alabama and Dolphins star.

Once I left Birmingham, I stopped giving a hoot about High School ball except for my High School games in Orlando (Boone). Just went to them to have fun with my friends.

Since I graduated from High School, I have only been to 2 High School Games. A Playoff Game in Ames (@ Cyclone Stadium) and a Playoff Game in Orlando (@ Citrus Bowl) - when my High School (Orlando Boone) played Miami Northwestern with Jacory Harris & Co for the Big Boy Championship in Florida. The future Hurricanes (5 starters from that team went to the U) whipped my boys something fierce! Funny thing, that was the last football game I went to with my Dad before he passed. Therefore, it is a great memory even in defeat!

P.S. The Dave Campbell Mag is the bomb! When I had annual Cotton Bowl tickets, I received a comp version each year. That was way cool!

Thanks for the memories!

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Highschool football is also where you find a lot of these cutting edge offensive coaches from too. Briles and his steroid raging OL transformed his system at Stephenville to college. Chad Morris, Todd graham, David Cutcliff, Lovie Smith, David Beatty, Mike Jinks, David Bailiff etc.
Texas high school football is special.. very competitive and the coaches are elite. Bad news is that the schools are so advanced that many of the players pretty much are developed as far as they will go. Unlike other places where they finely tune their skills in college.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Highschool football is also where you find a lot of these cutting edge offensive coaches from too. Briles and his steroid raging OL transformed his system at Stephenville to college. Chad Morris, Todd graham, David Cutcliff, Lovie Smith, David Beatty, Mike Jinks, David Bailiff etc.
Texas high school football is special.. very competitive and the coaches are elite. Bad news is that the schools are so advanced that many of the players pretty much are developed as far as they will go. Unlike other places where they finely tune their skills in college.
I read somewhere, but it is so true, I would have to think there aren’t many coaching positions more difficult than running a high school defense. You can literally play 5 games and see 5 completely different offenses.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athlon is available now

I've seen Athlon, Sporting News, and Smith and Street in the stores. I've yet to see Lindy's. Phil Steele's magazine is mostly for gamblers.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to get these things but have really fallen out of buying them. A lot of these places used to have really well known writers, but in the last 10 years they've all fired their best contributors. ESPN is the best example of this. Now anything ESPN has a name no one knows attached to it. I've been getting the Mgoblog version of a preview mag that basically focuses on Michigan only, with opponent previews. I honestly don't need 500 pages on G5 teams.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen Athlon, Sporting News, and Smith and Street in the stores. I've yet to see Lindy's. Phil Steele's magazine is mostly for gamblers.
Its my understanding that Steele wont be in stores this year

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to get these things but have really fallen out of buying them. A lot of these places used to have really well known writers, but in the last 10 years they've all fired their best contributors. ESPN is the best example of this. Now anything ESPN has a name no one knows attached to it. I've been getting the Mgoblog version of a preview mag that basically focuses on Michigan only, with opponent previews. I honestly don't need 500 pages on G5 teams.
i dont know about magazine but the site still has Rittenberg, Maisel, Luginbill, Bonagura, Adelson, Schlabach, Low and Dinich