• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Power Five Breakaway - Is the Sky Falling?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What good are they?

If players are getting paid there is nothing for them to do but collect money. The Final Four is a billion dollar windfall that the P5 could rip away anytime they want.
And the author is saying this may be that "anytime". Makes sense to me. I've always wondered why they didn't do it before now.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the author is saying this may be that "anytime". Makes sense to me. I've always wondered why they didn't do it before now.

But they have never done it.

He makes some valid points however, he is pointing more toward the majority of schools leaving the NCAA, not just
the Power 5 teams. I still doubt whether all the Power 5 schools would bolt, let alone another 25 or 30 schools.

The Bottom half of each P5 League cannot compete with the top half of that league now for recruiting.
Most of the leagues are very top heavy.

Here's a quick look at recruiting between 2013-2016 of the Power 5 leagues.
Top 7 of the SEC signed 59 4-stars the bottom 7 signed 8 5-stars
Top 7 of the SEC signed 328 4-stars...the bottom 7 signed 140

ACC Top 7 22 5-stars Bottom 7 3 5-stars
ACC Top 7 179 4-stars...bottom 7 26 4-stars

Big10 Top 7 11 5-stars...bottom 7 0 5-stars
Big10 Top 7 199 4-stars...bottom 7 27 4-stars

Pac12 Top 6 21 5-stars...bottom 6 0 5-stars
PAC12 Top 6 183 4-stars...bottom 6 40 4-stars

Big12 Top 5 4 5-stars...bottom 5 0 5 stars
Big12 Top 5 115 4-stars...bottom 29 4 stars

If they bolt there will be no 1-aa's to help a team's record and very few mid-majors for the teams
to schedule. If you're Vandy are you gonna bolt just to be pummeled every week.

TV money is all but maxed out. With streaming becoming more mainstream TV money may vanish in
10 years, or be severely lessened. Then what do they do?

Schools after just one year of this stuff are already dropping a number of athletic teams at their institutions.
The female problem is with us to stay and that is going to eat up any profits.

The P5 achools formed the Playoff to satisfy both their bottom feeder members and the rest of the
mid-majors, rather than allow the NCAA to do it, because they would have put in ALL the conf champs.

It has always been known that the P5 could take the majority of money with them, but they have never
done it. There has to be a reason why they have never done it. I don't know what it is, bit I kinda
think that they believe that many of their member institutions would not bolt with them and they would be stuck
with just 40 or 50 teams total having to play each other and lose their appeal.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schools after just one year of this stuff are already dropping a number of athletic teams at their institutions.
Dropping athletic teams is one thing. But here is the "Oh Shit" IMHO!

"If the financial reckoning becomes severe enough, entire athletic departments could go away. Already, the Mid-American Conference is slashing budgets and sports. Never mind athletics, Akron cut six of its 11 departments within the university."

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should do it and see the outcome.

Are schools really about education, or is it athletics?

we all know the answer about the Power 5 schools, it isn't education. They pretend it is, but when athletes are coddled and gifted everything, whereas the smart students have to pay and pay and pay and pay and pay and pay for everything, it is not about education.

When your public universities have thousands of employees making over $200,000 salary and the school DEMANDS more money from the state and raising tuition three times faster than the rate of inflation every year, that money is not going to education.

The current public university system has straddled the youth with hundreds of thousands in debt, and provided very few students with the education and ability to get rid of the debt, all they gave them was a worthless piece of paper.

BTW, I am not a fan of public universities. yes, I did attend a public engineering college, but I paid for and received a valuable, marketable education.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should do it and see the outcome.

Are schools really about education, or is it athletics?

we all know the answer about the Power 5 schools, it isn't education. They pretend it is, but when athletes are coddled and gifted everything, whereas the smart students have to pay and pay and pay and pay and pay and pay for everything, it is not about education.

When your public universities have thousands of employees making over $200,000 salary and the school DEMANDS more money from the state and raising tuition three times faster than the rate of inflation every year, that money is not going to education.

The current public university system has straddled the youth with hundreds of thousands in debt, and provided very few students with the education and ability to get rid of the debt, all they gave them was a worthless piece of paper.

BTW, I am not a fan of public universities. yes, I did attend a public engineering college, but I paid for and received a valuable, marketable education.

One little note...

Raising the cost of tuition rates, isn't about sports or education. It is a sound business practice under the current
situation. The moment that the Federal Government took over student loans and all but guaranteed every prospectivce student a chance to get that money, it was an open invitation for colleges to jack up the price of tuition and they did just that. What has hurt the schools was when they had to send all the students home because of the virus and have to
reimburse them their money for room and board. That devastated many of the schools and they are currently struggling to survive.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope not. It's fun watching your team winning 40-0 at the half and going to 2nd string early in the 3rd quarter. It's pre-season games.

We need to form 3 more major conferences of about 16 teams each; move a few of the teams in the power 5 to the new conferences and then play ball.
examples

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hadn't really thought of any. As far as power 5 teams moving, I could see Arkansas, Missouri, Texas AM and Nebraska, forming the nucleus of one new conference and fill it in with other teams like Cincinnati, Houston, maybe two MAC teams, Tulsa, Utah State, Utah and Colorado.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hadn't really thought of any. As far as power 5 teams moving, I could see Arkansas, Missouri, Texas AM and Nebraska, forming the nucleus of one new conference and fill it in with other teams like Cincinnati, Houston, maybe two MAC teams, Tulsa, Utah State, Utah and Colorado.
so 6 p5 teams?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so 6 p5 teams?

in reality based on your suggestion we would need 8 P5 teams per 8 new conferences with 1 of them having 9. to get to 16 teams each you pull from a bank of 65 more teams. the math concludes leaving out 2 teams and has no room for expansion or teams to move up to FBS (or whatever we call it now).

my suggestion for the conference that gets 9 is pair it Notre Dame with a historically weak Rutgers or Kansas.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think those schools would attract the same revenue they do from being in the SEC and B1G?

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of those 4 teams would be willing to give up the money they get from the SEC/B1G. What you just typed isn't going to happen. And, while the P5 might split off, the conferences won't start splintering - they simply believe in different things. The B1G and PAC actually care about education, the B12 and SEC not so much. The SEC isn't going to share the wealth generated by their crazy ass fans with the PAC. So, the umbrella organization might change, but the member conferences won't go away.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of those 4 teams would be willing to give up the money they get from the SEC/B1G. What you just typed isn't going to happen. And, while the P5 might split off, the conferences won't start splintering - they simply believe in different things. The B1G and PAC actually care about education, the B12 and SEC not so much. The SEC isn't going to share the wealth generated by their crazy ass fans with the PAC. So, the umbrella organization might change, but the member conferences won't go away.
I agree. and if for some reason there was some sort of overhaul and it went the way i said from the math its pretty hard to split it evenly and still have any amount of competitive balance.

for the record my 2 i left out were UCONN and Umass

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in reality based on your suggestion we would need 8 P5 teams per 8 new conferences with 1 of them having 9. to get to 16 teams each you pull from a bank of 65 more teams. the math concludes leaving out 2 teams and has no room for expansion or teams to move up to FBS (or whatever we call it now).

my suggestion for the conference that gets 9 is pair it Notre Dame with a historically weak Rutgers or Kansas.

Notre Dame and North Dakota State would be allowed to join. Also Montana. There is definitely room for this. It would involve 128 teams.