• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Post Your All-Star starting lineups

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, this could (and likely will) change many times between now and next month...

NL
C - Posey (not close)
1B - Goldy (not close)
2B - Gordon (really a toss-up between Gordon, Wong and Panik)
SS - Peralta (Although, I am ignorant about Peralta's defense. Crawford is elite defensively, and close-ish offensively)
3B - Frazier (toss-up between Frazier and Carpenter)
OF - Harper, Pederson, Upton

AL
C - Vogt
1B - Fielder
2B - Kipnis
SS - Semien (Iglesias did not win only because he has 60 fewer ABs)
3B - Donaldson
OF - Cruz, Trout, Bautista
DH - F-You. I refuse to honor it.
Update...

NL
C - Posey (not close)
1B - Goldy (not close)
2B - Panik (really close between Gordon and Panik)
SS - Crawford (He has over-taken Peralta)
3B - Frazier (not close)
OF - Harper, Pederson, Stanton

AL
C - Vogt
1B - Cabrera
2B - Kipnis (not close)
SS - Iglesias (based almost entirely on his defensive reputation. AL SS sucks this year)
3B - Donaldson
OF - Cain, Trout, Kiermeir

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
American League
C: Stephen Vogt
1B: Miguel Cabrera
2B: Jason Kipnis
SS: Jose Iglesias
3B: Josh Donaldson
OF: Mike Trout
OF: Yoenis Cespedes
OF: Jose Bautista
DH: Nelson Cruz

National League
C: Buster Posey
1B: Paul Goldschimdt
2B: Dee Gordon
SS: Jhonny Peralta
3B: Todd Frazier
OF: Bryce Harper
OF: Joc Pederson
OF: Giancarlo Stanton
DH: Anthony Rizzo

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update...

NL
C - Posey (not close)
1B - Goldy (not close)
3B - Frazier (not close)
OF - Harper, Pederson, Stanton

AL
C - Vogt
1B - Cabrera
2B - Kipnis (not close)
SS - Iglesias (based almost entirely on his defensive reputation. AL SS sucks this year)
3B - Donaldson
OF - Cain, Trout, Kiermeir

That would have to be the worst offensive starting outfield in the history of the all star game. Brett Gardner is more deserving than Cain and Kiermaier. Dude has a .730 OPS. that's pretty awful. And yes, I understand both are good defensively.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would have to be the worst offensive starting outfield in the history of the all star game. Brett Gardner is more deserving than Cain and Kiermaier. Dude has a .730 OPS. that's pretty awful. And yes, I understand both are good defensively.
Only dealing with the players that are available. I don't argue that it is defensive-heavy, but past Trout, there is not a CLEAR AL OF candidate, so I basically went by WAR.

I don't follow the AL that closely, though, so I can't get into a big debate about it. If you don't like my AL picks, that's cool. I am probably wrong. :)

I feel strong about my NL picks, though.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only dealing with the players that are available. I don't argue that it is defensive-heavy, but past Trout, there is not a CLEAR AL OF candidate, so I basically went by WAR.

I don't follow the AL that closely, though, so I can't get into a big debate about it. If you don't like my AL picks, that's cool. I am probably wrong. :)

Maybe Bautista? Has an OPS of .935 second behind only Trout.

And if you're going basically by WAR shouldn't Gordon be the leader for the NL at 2nd then?

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your NL picks are definitely solid. Personally I would have Peralta and Gordon but both Crawford and Panik are deserving. Pretty sure the last time I voted, I went with Crawford over Peralta.

Nothing to do with the starters, but I really want Frazier to overtake Carpenter. If Carpenter gets in, Kris Bryant will likely get knocked off because the Rockies need a representative and Arenado will be their clear choice.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it's essentially the same comparison when it comes to 2B and SS this year...

At 2B, Panik's been a bit better than Gordon offensively, but Gordon's been rated much better on defense
At SS, Peralta's been a bit better than Crawford offensively, but Crawford's been much better on defense

I know WAR tends to be kind of unreliable for small sample sizes, but fwiw, Gordon has the better WAR at 2B (by a good amount) and Crawford has the better WAR at SS (by a good amount).

Last edited:

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And if you're going basically by WAR shouldn't Gordon be the leader for the NL at 2nd then?
He said he was only going by WAR in the AL because he doesn't watch as much AL baseball.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again, BASICALLY by WAR. Not STRICTLY by WAR. And I am not defending my AL picks. I don't watch AL baseball.

Gordon and Panik are very close. I watch Panik every day, and I know he brings an amazing glove. I also know Gordon started super hot, but has not continued. He has no power and his OPS is quite a bit lower than Panik's. I will not argue someone else voting for Gordon, though. The numbers are close, and I will admit that I do edge towards Giants when it is very close. I don't vote homer if there is not at least a strong argument.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's essentially the same comparison when it comes to 2B and SS this year...

At 2B, Panik's been a bit better than Gordon offensively, but Gordon's been rated much better on defense
At SS, Peralta's been a bit better than Crawford offensively, but Crawford's been much better on defense

I know WAR tends to be kind of unreliable for small sample sizes, but fwiw, Gordon has the better WAR at 2B (by a good amount) and Crawford has the better WAR at SS (by a good amount).
I watch Panik. He is AMAZING defensively. That is the one thing I was most surprised about when he came up last year. The bat was kinda surprising, but the glove, I had no idea.

I also agree that Craw over Peralta is more clear than Panik over Gordon. Especially after the start Gordon had. But offensively, Gordon really only has BA that is left as a dominant stat, and that is about the 17th stat that I look at. Even his SBs are suspect since they go along with 9 CS. That is only about a 2.5/1 ratio, if that is one of your weapons, you want that to be higher. The other top 5 guys in the NL are closer to 3/1 (Hamilton 32/5; Revere 18/4; Blackmon and Polanco both 17/6)

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
d70f7ff2b6da3bbb76f4044c0e031591.png

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Peralta's offensive WAR is lower than Crawford's because he is rated as by far the worst baserunner in the NL. Any idea what the reason for that would be? He's attempted just 2 steals and been caught once. I honestly haven't seen enough of him to give a reason.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watch Panik. He is AMAZING defensively. That is the one thing I was most surprised about when he came up last year. The bat was kinda surprising, but the glove, I had no idea.

I also agree that Craw over Peralta is more clear than Panik over Gordon. Especially after the start Gordon had. But offensively, Gordon really only has BA that is left as a dominant stat, and that is about the 17th stat that I look at. Even his SBs are suspect since they go along with 9 CS. That is only about a 2.5/1 ratio, if that is one of your weapons, you want that to be higher. The other top 5 guys in the NL are closer to 3/1 (Hamilton 32/5; Revere 18/4; Blackmon and Polanco both 17/6)

His baserunning value is more than just steals....55% of the time this year has Gordon taken an extra base on hits by teammates (ie - 1st to 3rd on a single or 1st to scoring on a double). Panik's percentage in that stat is 24% by comparison. Obviously, Gordon needs to do his to compensate for his lack of power, but he's doing it quite well.

Last edited:

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His baserunning value goes is more than just steals....55% of the time this year has Gordon taken an extra base on hits (ie - 1st to 3rd on a single or 1st to scoring on a double). Panik's percentage in that stat is 24% by comparison.
That's good for 156th in baseball among qualified starters. With Gordon being 26th.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His baserunning value is more than just steals....55% of the time this year has Gordon taken an extra base on hits by teammates (ie - 1st to 3rd on a single or 1st to scoring on a double). Panik's percentage in that stat is 24% by comparison. Obviously, Gordon needs to do his to compensate for his lack of power, but he's doing it quite well.
The Giants as a team are rather concervative on the base paths (except when going home, where they tend to be more aggressive). Not an excuse, just a fact.

But, as you stated, speed is the primary weapon in his offensive quiver, so he SHOULD be elite/near elite in those numbers. Panik simply is "not slow".

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants as a team are rather concervative on the base paths (except when going home, where they tend to be more aggressive).
Well Panik has scored from second on a single just 4 times out of 12 chances, compared to 8/11 for Gordon.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Panik has scored from second on a single just 4 times out of 12 chances, compared to 8/11 for Gordon.
Again, Gordon is elite speed. He SHOULD be elite in these numbers while Panik is "not slow".

What douse the "12" consist of? Times he is on 2nd when there is a single hit? Any differentiation of how many outs or how often there is a runner on 3rd? 11 chances and 12 chances seems pretty insanely SSS.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
" Leading off...leading off at second base...second base AND starting for the NL team...team...Pete Rose...ROSE, "Charlie Hustle"! Most hits, two baggers AND bets placed EVER in the NL!
"Let's give Pete a big hand sports fans, he did it his way!"

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, Gordon is elite speed. He SHOULD be elite in these numbers while Panik is "not slow".

What douse the "12" consist of? Times he is on 2nd when there is a single hit? Any differentiation of how many outs or how often there is a runner on 3rd? 11 chances and 12 chances seems pretty insanely SSS.
Just because Gordon should be elite in these numbers and Panik shouldn't, doesn't change the value in Gordon's baserunning abilities.

And it's every time he is on 2nd and a single is hit. I'm not sure what "SSS" stands for honestly.