• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Positions that need to be addressed pre draft edition

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Offseason is about half over and the all important draft is less than one month away.

The Lions have lost Suh, get over it, and gained Ngata, like the price or not.

For a team that won 11 games and made the playoffs they probably have the most holes to fill from the playoff teams. But, what are the holes and which ones are the most important to address?

As I see it:
1. Guard/tackle - They have not replaced Sims and going into the draft they have a glaring hole on the depth chart. Some may argue that this is the most pressing need or not, but for a team that wants to run the ball and eat of cloak they have got to address it and with more than a stop gap. If they draft a new LT and move Reiff inside fine but one way or another a quality O-lineman is the top of my list. Very, very, very, important.

2. A solid rotational DT. Even if Walker pans out the Lions will need a guy to keep the 31 year old Ngata fresh and be able to step in if an injury occurs. I think a solid player keeps the unit above average and the defense a really good unit. I would actually like to see 2 DTs but a guy that gets consistent minutes and contributes is the most important thing. Very, very, important.

3. A slot DB. I get the Lions signed Wilson from Atlanta and he may be the answer but I have zero faith in Bentley or Lawson and with teams using so many multiple wideout sets they need a guy that can cover. It is important but not as pressing as it was before signing Wilson. Important.

4. A RB. As much as I want to see a guy like Gurley or Gordon this position does not need immediate help. Between Bell, Riddick, and Winn as well as a UDFA they could get by. Concerning.

5. A third receiving option. Not as important if Ebron decides to actually hold onto the ball or if the offense actually opens it up but important to a degree. It would make me happy.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GM

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O-line and probably another DT.

Developmental DB.

Developmental safety.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had my 4 needs on another thread. With the small signings mine may have changed a little.

I see OL and DT as the two glaring holes. You can get both taken care of in first two rounds.

Then for me it depends whether you see RB or CB as a more pressing need. Can you roll with Bell Riddick Winn and as you said UDFA? Can those guys grind out games with a improved line already addressed? Bell did late in many games last year. He is just not a true 3down back with homerun speed.

I have also gave up on Bentley. Not Lawson or Siesay yet. So can you roll with them and go RB?
This is the year if any for that trade back scenario everyone always wants. Get the extra early pick and hit all four needs. As I have said I just don't see Mayhew going back in early rounds. Never has as of yet.
I am looking at Nick Marshall CB Auburn for a gamble in the 6th if he drops. He converted from QB back to CB. Is athletic and his foot work looked a little rusty during senior bowl week. But you could see the technique was there. Just seemed he needed reps to get back to speed as he showed up at senior bowl to be a QB and asked Phil Savage if he could play CB as he felt it would be his best chance in pros. I just wonder what Austin could do for this kid? As he has been a DB coach forever before being our DC. Be nice to see a late round CB actually pan out for the Lions. As Mayhew is about Ofer 6 at the moment.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting caliber G or Center. A coverage first DB, could be a safety, a nickel or a rookie with potential to start. A three down running back, or one with potential to be. Must not have chronic fumbleitis. A pass rushing DE/OLB. A DT with the potential to get into the backfield e'ry now n then. An offensive lineman capable of playing either tackle position.

Would have been nice to see Gaurd, Center or Tackle addressed during the initial phase of FA.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the earliest a GM would be addressed next off season.

What position needs do you have and what priority pre draft Rob? Even a new GM would still need your help.

There's no one out there left to get. Unless you like Rob Sims.

'fraid this is it until the draft.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I dislike Mayhew you can't fire a GM before the draft, after a 11 win season.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I dislike Mayhew you can't fire a GM before the draft, after a 11 win season.

No, but you can put him on the hot seat after promising season ticket holders that Suh would be back then fail to deliver on that promise.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It won't happen, don't get me wrong. But good franchises aren't giving a GM 7 years to win a division or a playoff game.

Then again, good franchises don't wait 7 years for division championships and playoff wins.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It won't happen, don't get me wrong. But good franchises aren't giving a GM 7 years to win a division or a playoff game.

Then again, good franchises don't wait 7 years for division championships and playoff wins.

I think only Rich McKay in Tampa has/had a worse 5 year run than Mayhew.

It's literally unheard of to keep such an obviously shitty ass GM for so long.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think only Rich McKay in Tampa has/had a worse 5 year run than Mayhew.

It's literally unheard of to keep such an obviously shitty ass GM for so long.

Was McKay still in Tampa when Mayhew was playing there? I know they were under .500 every year he played for them. 5,6 or 7 wins a year. They couldn't win in Wisconsin either. Lucky for them the NFL changed it's Georgraphy.

Not in Allen Park... I give you one Matt Millen.
How many years was Mayhew with Millen as GM? Maybe he wasn't the firstfew years, idk. Maybe he was there the entire time, just not Senior VP till the last. I honestly don't know, and never have found anything on his initial hiring. But I'm pretty much going to lump the two together in my memory as time goes by. VP's should be counted on do more than just wait around for their boss to die or get fired. Marty may not have been in charge of an 0-16 team, but he was a big part of it. (We haven't won a playoff game since he helped his 'Skins win big that cold day in January '92. He's a dream crusher.)

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mayhew drafts a RB, in the first or second round, it will be his 3rd running back selected with a high pick. It looks like RB has been a priority for the Lions.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many years was Mayhew with Millen as GM? Maybe he wasn't the firstfew years, idk. Maybe he was there the entire time, just not Senior VP till the last. I honestly don't know, and never have found anything on his initial hiring. But I'm pretty much going to lump the two together in my memory as time goes by. VP's should be counted on do more than just wait around for their boss to die or get fired. Marty may not have been in charge of an 0-16 team, but he was a big part of it. (We haven't won a playoff game since he helped his 'Skins win big that cold day in January '92. He's a dream crusher.)

I understand you lumping them. This test this time was to read the question and answer. The OP was
imying a GM only. I did not want to get in trouble, yet again.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We only have so many picks to fill several huge holes. At this point I think you have to seriously consider signing Wis and look to Swanson for the LG spot.

That opens the door to flowers, Collins, or Humphries in the 1st for us. That should create quite a bit of versatility among the players and spots that ultimately fill. I don't see any other way to at least try and improve there.

I think Coleman is there for us in the 2nd rd. if they go that route then maybe it forces Mayhew to make what is now clearly his best option and bring Mosely back for depth at DT.

No idea as to their 3rd pick

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mayhew drafts a RB, in the first or second round, it will be his 3rd running back selected with a high pick. It looks like RB has been a priority for the Lions.

Well, when every high pick RB you choose is out of football within 2 years... It will remain a priority. Maybe RB is going to be the page Mayhew takes from the Matt Millen book of busted picks. Just using RB instead of WR.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We only have so many picks to fill several huge holes. At this point I think you have to seriously consider signing Wis and look to Swanson for the LG spot.

That opens the door to flowers, Collins, or Humphries in the 1st for us. That should create quite a bit of versatility among the players and spots that ultimately fill. I don't see any other way to at least try and improve there.

I think Coleman is there for us in the 2nd rd. if they go that route then maybe it forces Mayhew to make what is now clearly his best option and bring Mosely back for depth at DT.

No idea as to their 3rd pick

I do not mind bringing Mosley back. He was a good run stuffer. I also would not mind if Bennett or Jarrett are there in second round you can possibly get depth and a possible starter for four years.
Are you ready and give up on Waddle and Lucas as a future RT? Move on and let one be a swing tackle is what I getting from Collins and Flowers.

I do have a idea for the 3rd. David Johnson... Just not sure he is there in late 3rd.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't have a developmental GM do we? We've seen how that works out.

Who is the right hand man for Mayhew? Does he even have one? Just want to know his name, so I know not to want him as a future replacement.