• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Pre-Draft

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A day away...and still no clue on how I think this plays out.

The more I think about it, the less I think they go OL.

If one of the top 2 TE's fall to them (Kincaid/Mayer) I think they go TE..

If not - and they have several options at DE, I think they go DE and look to grab a CB in round 2. The defense is in need of both for depth this year, but also in need of guys for next year as the defense looks to get hit hard with the number of contracts coming due: Hendrickson, Reader, Awuzie, Wilson....grabbing a pass-rush and CB in the first two go arounds would be pretty good.

That being said - I could also see them grabbing a WR in round 1 if someone falls to them. A premier position with a potential 5th year add means they not only hedge against Higgins not signing, but gives them a year to get them in the system, adds depth for this year, and makes this offense really scary - also with the option to still grab a TE in rounds 2 or 3. Great depth at TE this year.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A day away...and still no clue on how I think this plays out.

The more I think about it, the less I think they go OL.

If one of the top 2 TE's fall to them (Kincaid/Mayer) I think they go TE..

If not - and they have several options at DE, I think they go DE and look to grab a CB in round 2. The defense is in need of both for depth this year, but also in need of guys for next year as the defense looks to get hit hard with the number of contracts coming due: Hendrickson, Reader, Awuzie, Wilson....grabbing a pass-rush and CB in the first two go arounds would be pretty good.

That being said - I could also see them grabbing a WR in round 1 if someone falls to them. A premier position with a potential 5th year add means they not only hedge against Higgins not signing, but gives them a year to get them in the system, adds depth for this year, and makes this offense really scary - also with the option to still grab a TE in rounds 2 or 3. Great depth at TE this year.
This is my guess, and granted, I am not going out on a limb here either, because they just gave themselves so much flexibility.

The positions I think they target in round 1 will be:

TE / OL / CB / DL

The exception to this rule will be if Bijan Robinson falls to #28 or if Jaxson Njigba-Smith falls to #28. If both are available with the #28 pick, which I can't see one more less both, I think they go with Robinson.

Outside those two, they will have to determine who is the best value left on the board of the previous 4 positions.

I think one of these guys becomes a Bengal at #28:

RT Darnell Wright
RT Dawand Jones
TE Michael Mayer
TE Dalton Kincaid
CB Deonte Banks
CB Joey Porter Jr.
CB Emmanuel Forbes
DT Calijah Kancey
DE Nolan Smith
DE Myles Murphy

Which way they go, I am not sure, but I think one of these 10 players is a Bengal come tomorrow night.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my guess, and granted, I am not going out on a limb here either, because they just gave themselves so much flexibility.

The positions I think they target in round 1 will be:

TE / OL / CB / DL

The exception to this rule will be if Bijan Robinson falls to #28 or if Jaxson Njigba-Smith falls to #28. If both are available with the #28 pick, which I can't see one more less both, I think they go with Robinson.

Outside those two, they will have to determine who is the best value left on the board of the previous 4 positions.

I think one of these guys becomes a Bengal at #28:

RT Darnell Wright
RT Dawand Jones
TE Michael Mayer
TE Dalton Kincaid
CB Deonte Banks
CB Joey Porter Jr.
CB Emmanuel Forbes
DT Calijah Kancey
DE Nolan Smith
DE Myles Murphy

Which way they go, I am not sure, but I think one of these 10 players is a Bengal come tomorrow night.
I think you might be able to add Van Ness to that list at DE and maybe Felix Anudike-Uzomah as well for DE

I've seen Flowers drop, too..he would be interesting....

I've also hear some rumblings about Dewand Jones not showing well, and was super big at 370 at his pro day or something like that...he may be sliding down. The more I think about it - while I would love to lock of Wright (I think he's the best prospect that isn't a top 10 guy) at RT for years, I think the Bengals are likely going to go into this year set at RT and let camp decide....

Want a dark-horse selection?

Jahmyr Gibbs, RB - Alabama. As this offense gears more towards the gap scheme and passing, and using more RB out of the backfield - I think this could be a really, really good fit for the Bengals.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you might be able to add Van Ness to that list at DE and maybe Felix Anudike-Uzomah as well for DE

I've seen Flowers drop, too..he would be interesting....

I've also hear some rumblings about Dewand Jones not showing well, and was super big at 370 at his pro day or something like that...he may be sliding down. The more I think about it - while I would love to lock of Wright (I think he's the best prospect that isn't a top 10 guy) at RT for years, I think the Bengals are likely going to go into this year set at RT and let camp decide....

Want a dark-horse selection?

Jahmyr Gibbs, RB - Alabama. As this offense gears more towards the gap scheme and passing, and using more RB out of the backfield - I think this could be a really, really good fit for the Bengals.
I can see Van Ness also, or Gibbs. I think Gibbs is a dark horse, and more likely if we trade back into the top of the second for an extra pick later. I could see him getting selected in the 1st by the Bengals if the draft starts to fall apart and all t he players they were targeting leave the board.

Van Ness seems more like a top 15 pick to me, and I don't really see him being on the board, but it is possible. All the guys I listed potentially could fall to 28, although I do think Nolan Smith helped his case at the combine and more than likely is not ever going to make it to #28 either. All these players are capable of being drafted earlier than #28, but I think all area capable of falling to #28...maybe less so on Porter Jr., N. Smith. I think Dawand might even be available with our 2nd round pick potentially, because you are right, folks were not real impressed with his pro day.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see Van Ness also, or Gibbs. I think Gibbs is a dark horse, and more likely if we trade back into the top of the second for an extra pick later. I could see him getting selected in the 1st by the Bengals if the draft starts to fall apart and all t he players they were targeting leave the board.

Van Ness seems more like a top 15 pick to me, and I don't really see him being on the board, but it is possible. All the guys I listed potentially could fall to 28, although I do think Nolan Smith helped his case at the combine and more than likely is not ever going to make it to #28 either. All these players are capable of being drafted earlier than #28, but I think all area capable of falling to #28...maybe less so on Porter Jr., N. Smith. I think Dawand might even be available with our 2nd round pick potentially, because you are right, folks were not real impressed with his pro day.
However, if someone falls and say Seattle is really interested in moving up to 28, we could potentially trade them the #28 pick for their #37 and and #52. Is that too rich? Not sure, depends on how much they really want their guy I guess.

We would move to #37, and I can see us drafting Gibbs with that pick, #52 being Sam LaPorta / Darnell Washington, and #60 being Dawand Jones if he falls because of his pro day.

That is very offensive heavy, but it would solidify the only 3 real needs on offense in round 1 / 2.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, if someone falls and say Seattle is really interested in moving up to 28, we could potentially trade them the #28 pick for their #37 and and #52. Is that too rich? Not sure, depends on how much they really want their guy I guess.

We would move to #37, and I can see us drafting Gibbs with that pick, #52 being Sam LaPorta / Darnell Washington, and #60 being Dawand Jones if he falls because of his pro day.

That is very offensive heavy, but it would solidify the only 3 real needs on offense in round 1 / 2.
I'm all for trading. No glaring needs are likely to be filled at 28 that couldn't also be found in rounds 2-4...extra picks would go a long way to helping this team stay viable through the contract extensions of Burrow, Higgins, and Chase.

But, the defense would have to be the main focus, IMO....you grab a WR or TE if they are there, but with Hendrickson, Reader, Wilson, Awuzie all set to walk next year....would be nice if they could extend at least 1 of those guys this year and take that need off the table...and who knows, maybe some of those talks are in the works already...we'll find out.

But, I agree with the trade down...if no one at 28 wows you....but I could see it if someone falls Van Ness, Njiba, RB from Texas...maybe even Wright....the later two would allow you to not only Trade jonah for maybe a 4th or 5 rounder this year, but would also allow you to waive Collins and free up his Salary...draft a RB in rounds 2-3-4...and cut Mixon, and suddenly you have something like 15M in cap space...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for trading. No glaring needs are likely to be filled at 28 that couldn't also be found in rounds 2-4...extra picks would go a long way to helping this team stay viable through the contract extensions of Burrow, Higgins, and Chase.

But, the defense would have to be the main focus, IMO....you grab a WR or TE if they are there, but with Hendrickson, Reader, Wilson, Awuzie all set to walk next year....would be nice if they could extend at least 1 of those guys this year and take that need off the table...and who knows, maybe some of those talks are in the works already...we'll find out.

But, I agree with the trade down...if no one at 28 wows you....but I could see it if someone falls Van Ness, Njiba, RB from Texas...maybe even Wright....the later two would allow you to not only Trade jonah for maybe a 4th or 5 rounder this year, but would also allow you to waive Collins and free up his Salary...draft a RB in rounds 2-3-4...and cut Mixon, and suddenly you have something like 15M in cap space...
Kancey is probably our best option at #28 if he falls then. A guy that can maybe replace Reader. I can see us going all defense in the first 3 rounds also.

DT, CB, DE (not necessarily in that order)

I say there is no chance in hell Wilson is not signed. I think he is a foundation piece.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kancey is probably our best option at #28 if he falls then. A guy that can maybe replace Reader. I can see us going all defense in the first 3 rounds also.

DT, CB, DE (not necessarily in that order)

I say there is no chance in hell Wilson is not signed. I think he is a foundation piece.
If they don't look for a NT this draft...Donte Corleon from UC is going to be in next years' draft, and this kid is a MONSTER...grew up locally here in Colerain, was 1st team AA last year for UC as a Red-shirt Freshman.

Watched multiple plays where teams would get 2 OL on him, and even then they couldn't move him off his spot. He's a special player, IMO....

You can always use DB's...in this league, you need 4 or 5 in reality.

Agreed on Wilson. He may not be the best MLB in the NFL, but he's really good. And finding really good MLB's is hard. The pair that he and Pratt make-up are one of the better duos in the league, IMO.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the best TE of a great TE year?
protect the 'franchise' Joe, OL?
CB, always a need and future need.?

so we sign Sample, Irvin. Orlando Brown. I think we pick Joey Porter Jr., or best CB available

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Myles Murphy

because Lamar Jackson is back, and Deshaun Watson is not in jail, and AFC qbs are like rodgers, mahomes, allen, etc. and we couldn't lay a finger on Mahomes at times during the playoff game. life is easier when the opposition is on their ass.

yea, we will leave this draft with some pressing needs. it may cost us the SuperBowl, but that's not a total given.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Myles Murphy

because Lamar Jackson is back, and Deshaun Watson is not in jail, and AFC qbs are like rodgers, mahomes, allen, etc. and we couldn't lay a finger on Mahomes at times during the playoff game. life is easier when the opposition is on their ass.

yea, we will leave this draft with some pressing needs. it may cost us the SuperBowl, but that's not a total given.
The depth at TE and CB is pretty solid this year. I think that is why you are seeing teams grab other positions where the drop-off is steeper as you get further along into the draft.

Murphey is a guy that I think Lou can do really well with. When you talk about getting guys that are very capable, but need the right fit - Murphey likely falls into this category. In a rotation of Hendrickson, Hubbard, and Ossai - and a real need to upgrade the pass-rush after ranking just 29th last year in sacks - I can see why this pick/position was likely higher up on the board than other media driven guys, like Mayer or even Porter Jr.

Quietly - the pass-rush was an actual need of this team that just hasn't really been talked about this off-season, and honestly may have been one of the, if not the biggest, area of actual need.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, 2 running backs off the board early as well. I thought there was only 1 rb worth taking in the first. oh well, not according to Detroit. Buffalo drafted Kincaid at TE, they didn't really need him, but I think they want their own Kelce and perhaps they aren't sold on Knox as that type of player.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and I thought Gibbs could have been a dark-horse at 28....never saw him going 12...that seems like a really big reach, at least to me. He's really good I think, but the value of RB is just so low that unless he turns out to be Adrian Peterson or Derrick Henry good..that was a wasted pick.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL running backs need to have some weight to them these days. you gotta be able to take a licking and keep on ticking.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft strategy seems to focus on a) adding as much speed and athleticism as possible and b) add premium positions on D on rookie deals. The last few years had an expensive D and a cheap offense. That will switch completely as we start signing our stars. I like the strategy to get younger and more athletic on D.

I will also say the roster construction is a far cry from the Marvin Lewis era.... By the time he was through, we had a very slow team.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft strategy seems to focus on a) adding as much speed and athleticism as possible and b) add premium positions on D on rookie deals. The last few years had an expensive D and a cheap offense. That will switch completely as we start signing our stars. I like the strategy to get younger and more athletic on D.

I will also say the roster construction is a far cry from the Marvin Lewis era.... By the time he was through, we had a very slow team.
That is because we had a very old team. He favored his veterans over youth.