• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Players you think should be in HOF but aren't

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I maintain, you and tlance made this thread more personal than I ever did.

I think KJ and Smith should be in the HOF. That’s a just one man’s opinion. Shoot, I’d put Jerry Stackhouse in the HOF even though literally no one else would. Again, personal opinion.

How exactly did I make this personal?

If saying that your bar for the HOF is too low is personal, then okay.

That is my role on here man. I push back when people put out the hot takes.

Randy Smith is just a guy. He retired 40 years ago. That is well before you were born and before a lot of were watching basketball. His teams made the playoffs 4 times and the second round just once.

Even more, those teams were driven by Bob McAdoo, who led the league in scoring 3 out of the 4 years they made it.

Bob McAdoo is a Hall of Famer. Randy Smith was a good player. But he is CJ McCollum level impact. If we start inducting everybody who posted a couple 20 PPG seasons in the Hall, it would cheapen the accolade.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it isn’t.

Because Draymond is many times more famous than KJ.

Not even close.

The most casual fans know who Draymond is. And will continue to know him after he retires.

KJ is a trivia answer for die hard NBA fans at this point. Not HOF worthy.
Mister goody two shoes? He was more popular than you remember.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mister goody two shoes? He was more popular than you remember.

A lot of guys are popular in their era.

HOF transcends that.

KJ was really good.

Just don’t think his resume is HOF worthy. If he had chosen a post NBA career in coaching or broadcasting he would have improved his chances.

He chose politics instead. If he someday enters a larger political stage? Yeah that might boost him. But for now it isn’t enough IMO.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HOF transcends that.

KJ was really good.

Just don’t think his resume is HOF worthy. If he had chosen a post NBA career in coaching or broadcasting he would have improved his chances.

He chose politics instead. If he someday enters a larger political stage? Yeah that might boost him. But for now it isn’t enough IMO.
I don't think he's hof worthy either, but he's definitely above trivia question material imo. I think if he had a longer career he's in, but injuries is part of the equation.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he's hof worthy either, but he's definitely above trivia question material imo. I think if he had a longer career he's in, but injuries is part of the equation.

Yeah, that is fair

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I maintain, you and tlance made this thread more personal than I ever did.

I think KJ and Smith should be in the HOF. That’s a just one man’s opinion. Shoot, I’d put Jerry Stackhouse in the HOF even though literally no one else would. Again, personal opinion.
Wait, where did I make this thread personal?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know man.

CWebb was so good.

Seems a bit ironic to say this since his primary position was PF, but was a decent sized part of the movement to positionless basketball. One of the best passing big men to ever play the game.

Was definitely one of the top 5 players in the league at his peak.

I say he deserves in based on his NBA resume.

I was just being sarcastic. No question C. Webb belongs in the HOF. He just picked the wrong school to play for. :heh:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kevin Johnson did play a role in keeping the Kings in Sacramento. Because the basketball hall of fame seems to consider everything, then maybe Kevin Johnson should be inducted. However, the Kings are probably one of the least popular teams.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HOF transcends that.

KJ was really good.

But he used his political role to help keep the Kings in Sacramento, so that's relevant, right?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that it is just a basketball hall of fame. One place to see all the greats in the sport regardless of level, gender, player, coach. I'd say, sure, have different wings, and you can be in more than one, but I like the unification of the game.

With some exceptions, the weight given to college and Olympic accomplishments should be between none to little for men's basketball. The NBA is the ultimate proving ground.

I believe that a hall of fame should be for the truly elite. The basketball and football hall of fames are often tainted by giving too much weight to popularity. Only the baseball hall of fame does a good job of keeping it for the elite. Obviously, the baseball hall of fame makes some mistakes, but they've been good overall.

Last edited:

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny ainge…the executive

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Scalabrine. You cannot stop him. You can only hope to contain him

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Scalabrine. You cannot stop him. You can only hope to contain him

Mark Madsen and his championship dance moves are HOF worthy.

lakers-mark-madsen.gif

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll start.

Kevin Johnson (Phoenix Suns) - Injuries somewhat derailed his career later on, but he was beastly when he was young. He really laid the foundation for the Barkley-led Suns teams of the mid-90's.

Randy Smith (Buffalo Braves/San Diego Clippers, Cleveland Cavaliers) - A former 7th round pick that gets little recognition given that Buffalo hasn't had a team in over 40 years. Went 10 full seasons without missing a game. Was one the the first NBA players to make a three in consecutive games (In 1979 that was an accomplishment). R.I.P.

I think it's just really hard to make it if you don't win a ring. You have to be as great as Karl Malone, John Stockton, or Barkley.

And with regard to Randy Smith, I had never heard of the guy before your post.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure.

But is it enough?

Not for me.

Based on others who are already in, Kevin Johnson is probably deserving. I think he's just not popular. However, I do prefer a more selective hall of fame, so I'm fine with keeping him out. I wish they would kick out some and make it a hall of fame of the truly elite.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw World B. Free is not in. He may have a case over Randy Smith even though he was a bit of an empty stats guy.

If World B. Free had never changed his name, he'd be little more than a curiosity for his style of play and that looping jumper. One time NBA all-star, his best season was for a non-playoff team.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How exactly did I make this personal?

If saying that your bar for the HOF is too low is personal, then okay.

That is my role on here man. I push back when people put out the hot takes.

Randy Smith is just a guy. He retired 40 years ago. That is well before you were born and before a lot of were watching basketball. His teams made the playoffs 4 times and the second round just once.

Even more, those teams were driven by Bob McAdoo, who led the league in scoring 3 out of the 4 years they made it.

Bob McAdoo is a Hall of Famer. Randy Smith was a good player. But he is CJ McCollum level impact. If we start inducting everybody who posted a couple 20 PPG seasons in the Hall, it would cheapen the accolade.
You called it a "shit" opinion and had at least one poster openly agree with you (@logic )...

That is personal.

LOL @ C.J. McCollum. I probably overrated CJ a bit during my player rankings last year, but to say Smith's impact was on his level is a joke and suggest you need more time to research.

He was among the city of Buffalo's most famous athletes before Jim Kelly, Josh Allen, and Damar Hamlin ever existed...