• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Players leaving early that are going to regret it

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted, I'm sure others apply the term differently but typically when I hear of a guy being a "guaranteed" lottery pick, he's almost always a consensus top 5 choice by all of the experts.

If most people are expecting a guy to go 10th, I wouldn't consider him a lock for the lottery.

As far as my feelings on who should or shouldn't go early, I generally think it is a poor choice for most kids, but that is only because of the stupid way that the NCAA has everything structured. I'd prefer to see the NCAA let kids enter the draft and stay in the draft, and if they don't get drafted, or don't go as high as they think the should, they can return to school once assuming they didn't hire an agent. It takes so much of the speculation and guesswork out of the process. It would be better for kids that are good enough to get the guaranteed money, and better for the kids that aren't. Plus when you have a guy that didn't quite cut it, it's better for the school too since he'd still be eligible.

But it's the NCAA we're talking about so they'd never dream of doing anything that might actually benefit their student athletes. They kind of remind me of that crazy, jealous ex girlfriend... (glances over at that other league for a minute) "Oh, you like that other league better than me? FINE! you can stay with her! I never liked you anyway, I only put up with you because you were well hung!"

Bitches. (that includes you, Emertt)

Definitely not a lock but usually if they are a widely projected lottery they end up drafted in the lottery...unless they are like the last lottery projection. With only 2 rounds it goes pretty much as expected.

Unlike the NFL where weird shit happens all the time.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, and the NCAA already allows this in baseball. So it's clearly not that crazy of an idea.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as my feelings on who should or shouldn't go early, I generally think it is a poor choice for most kids, but that is only because of the stupid way that the NCAA has everything structured. I'd prefer to see the NCAA let kids enter the draft and stay in the draft, and if they don't get drafted, or don't go as high as they think the should, they can return to school once assuming they didn't hire an agent. It takes so much of the speculation and guesswork out of the process. It would be better for kids that are good enough to get the guaranteed money, and better for the kids that aren't. Plus when you have a guy that didn't quite cut it, it's better for the school too since he'd still be eligible.

Bitches. (that includes you, Emertt)

I mean, I understand what you're trying to go for here Trolly, but this isn't the MLB draft with like 75 rounds. This is a two-round draft and teams can't afford to just lose their draft pick because a kid got drafted 18th instead of 10th. It works in other sports, but basketball is just one of those that this scenario just simply isn't realistic IMO

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I understand what you're trying to go for here Trolly, but this isn't the MLB draft with like 75 rounds. This is a two-round draft and teams can't afford to just lose their draft pick because a kid got drafted 18th instead of 10th. It works in other sports, but basketball is just one of those that this scenario just simply isn't realistic IMO

Exactly. Who's in a better position to gamble on their future... NBA owners worth billions, or college kids who might be living in a car if they weren't on campus?

Who gives a fuckity fuck if the NBA draft (which is based on a fucking lottery fer chrissake) is a little less of a sure thing for the NBA teams?!?

What's the worst case scenario here for the college kids? NBA teams don't gamble on a questionable guy because he might choose to go back to school instead, so they just don't draft him anyway, and he ends up back in school? How is this a bad thing?

I'm not saying the NBA would like it, but I honestly couldn't give two rat shits what the NBA thinks. They've treated the NCAA like a farm league for years, and have done everything in their power to raid the college ranks of every single bit of proven talent they can squeeze out. I like the NBA in general, but I like college a lot more. If the two are at odds, my response will always be "Fuck the NBA"

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Trolly.

Maybe the reason why they don't is because it would disrupt recruiting? A player puts his name in the hat and then comes back, that backs up the freshman coming in who chose that school because he would fill the spot left by the outgoing player. At least in baseball, there are either multiple players at the position (pitching), or at least an understanding that a player is going to come in and be a backup at positions in the field.

I don't know for sure, it's all speculation. I'm just wondering what the clear-cut reasons are (if any) as to why the NCAA doesn't allow it in basketball, when they do in baseball.

And by the way, yes, Fuck the NBA!!

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clear-cut reason? Hell, at this point, I think the NCAA is using one of those "Boggle" games to write their bylaws.