• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Players call Sean McVay a genius. But what exactly does the Redskins’ offensive coordinator do?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he calls plays , i know gruden does too but he has input and now that he isnt tied down to qbs he gets involved with everything else

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That should help. McVay is as much on the hot seat as Gruden. I can't believe there was not a QB coach on roster last season? Both Jay and Sean were stretching themselves thin last year.

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That should help. McVay is as much on the hot seat as Gruden. I can't believe there was not a QB coach on roster last season? Both Jay and Sean were stretching themselves thin last year.

totally agree about not having a QB coach!!! We had to be about the only team that didnt have one....and if we weren't...I wonder if those teams struggeled as well

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer
ASHBURN, Va. -- As Jay Gruden walked past, he whispered to make sure and ask Sean McVay about a particular play in the red zone during Tuesday’s organized team activity session. It was a run with no timeouts left.

Gruden watched, then laughed, as the question was asked. He was giving his offensive coordinator a little ribbing.

Sean McVay and Jay Gruden think alike when it comes to play calling, Gruden said. AP Photo/Richard Lipski
But when it comes to calling plays, Gruden said he and McVay think alike – and that, they hope, will help during the season. On Tuesday, Gruden had McVay call plays. Gruden likes calling plays, but as a head coach it’s always good to have someone else on staff who can help with this area – as a head coach, sometimes his attention must turn elsewhere.

McVay is only 29 years old and has a lot to still learn. But he’s a respected young coach. Calling plays is the next step in his development.

“We’re very close mentally to thinking alike, and that’s the thing – when we put together a game plan and you have your third-down situations, you can almost call them together,” Gruden said. “So it’s very important for us to be on the same page when we install and call plays. But we’ll both have input on game day, like we do every game.

“Whether he calls 50 percent, I call 50 percent, he calls 80 percent or 20 doesn’t matter as long as we agree during the week that, ‘This is our plan, this is how we’re going to attack and these are the situations we’re going to call certain plays.’ So I feel very confident in him calling plays and obviously I feel confident in me calling plays.”

McVay’s role will change a little bit this season with the addition of quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh, whose responsibility will be focusing on the quarterbacks’ fundamentals. It frees McVay to focus on his coordinator duties.

“It takes a lot off my plate, just being able to kind of have an overview on the offense as a whole, being able to bounce around from different position groups,” McVay said, “so it’s been very beneficial so far.”

its good to groom a young coach . and i feel that gruden should call less plays and allow his OC to do it freeing him up to manage the game