• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Pittsburgh Penguins(1) vs. Columbus Blue Jackets(WC 1)| ECQF

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really think that's suspension worthy? Even fine worthy? Yeah, it's a two-hander, but it's to the shin guards, and I cannot think of a single precedence for supplemental discipline on a play like that.

Seabrook got three games for launching himself into a guy's head next to the boards. Under that kind of suspension environment, this doesn't even deserve a second look.

I'll separate the first and second paragraphs.

First paragraph: Yes, I think that's suspension worthy, regardless of the player. However...

Second paragraph: with the precedent they've established, including Seabrook's suspension (and many others) and the league's long-standing no-suspension-to-superstars-not-named-Pronger rule, I agree this won't get looked at.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on guys. If the stick doesn't break there it's probably not even a 2 minute penalty (superstar status intended there). I wouldn't see that being a suspension for anyone in the NHL, high status or not. Unless you two hand over the head swing at a guy, or swing at their head, it's not a suspension. Slashing is a minor/major penalty in game, but not a suspension event (with exceptions).

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on guys. If the stick doesn't break there it's probably not even a 2 minute penalty (superstar status intended there). I wouldn't see that being a suspension for anyone in the NHL, high status or not. Unless you two hand over the head swing at a guy, or swing at their head, it's not a suspension. Slashing is a minor/major penalty in game, but not a suspension event (with exceptions).

Yes, targeting the head is always punished more severely.

nealglen.gif

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ All head shots below the visor are fair game, no? What we have here appears to be a run of the mill high sticking violation...

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ All head shots below the visor are fair game, no? What we have here appears to be a run of the mill high sticking violation...

Right. Anyone who was really interested in protecting themselves would wear a full face shield.

For everything this series provided, I am sort of savoring these extra delicious little slices of irony along the way. There was one guy at a different forum who went off about a "vicious" slash that Crosby endured in game 3. It was so bad, no video or gif of it exists.

I am afraid I have pushed him to the point of going postal with the Sid on Arty gif.

This place is much more civil and usually doesn't go off the deep end. I was kidding. I mean, if someone did that the Golden Child, or if certain players in the league did it there would be uproar. But for the most part we all get that what is good for the goose is not also good for the lizard lipped crybaby.

I mean Gander.

:bolt:

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penguins like to eat fish, but not red herrings.

Pix has a point. When was the last two-handed slash to the legs during game play that garnered a suspension or even was up for consideration?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pix has a point. When was the last two-handed slash to the legs during game play that garnered a suspension or even was up for consideration?

So you're saying it's time the league stepped in and made an example of one of these attempts to injure?

I agree.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but not in the playoffs. :D

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My favorite two hander was Ohlund on Mikko Koivu - I think Ohlund got 4 games for it as it did end up breaking Koivu's leg. Probably should have been matching minors for an elbow and a slash as it was your basic Swede on Finn violence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh come on people. This was a great thread before the "let's bitch about penalties" junk started. The penalties were called pretty evenly and standard playoff hijinks were committed by both sides, and equally ignored by the officials.

And give me a break, unless the other player breaks an ankle, that slash is a 2 min penalty every day of the week, whether your name is Crosby, Carcillo or Cooke. Get your head straight.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh come on people. This was a great thread before the "let's bitch about penalties" junk started. The penalties were called pretty evenly and standard playoff hijinks were committed by both sides, and equally ignored by the officials.

And give me a break, unless the other player breaks an ankle, that slash is a 2 min penalty every day of the week, whether your name is Crosby, Carcillo or Cooke. Get your head straight.
There was one poster who initiated that talk early in the series.

Can you guess who?

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was one poster who initiated that talk early in the series.

Can you guess who?

Hope it wasn't me!

Moving on, it was a great series. First five games all come from behind wins - almost game six as well. Short handed goals. A few great, though not spectacular, performances from each goaltender. MAF putting the fear into Pens fans before bouncing back. Malkin exploding for a hattie in game 6. Had everything. If I was a neutral observer, would have loved to see game 6.

Columbus impressed me - especially the fans. Lots of support, even when they were behind by a few, and more often then not the team rewarded their fans. Calvert scares me, hadn't rally heard of him before. And while I detest Dubinsky, you can see what he brings. I thought nerves got to them and led to some bad penalties, but they'll learn from that.

As for the Pens, all that really matters at this point is winning. The two areas that need the most work are defensive responsibility and consistent intensity. I don't know if the former can be fixed this spring, but I saw signs of the latter in game 5 and most of game 6. I know some Pens fans think we should blow out everybody else, and there's nothing wrong with high expectations. But it's a cap world and there are 30 teams trying to win. The model of success, the Red Wings, only have 4 cups in the past 20 years. Not easy to consistently win in the NHL.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope it wasn't me!

Moving on, it was a great series. First five games all come from behind wins - almost game six as well. Short handed goals. A few great, though not spectacular, performances from each goaltender. MAF putting the fear into Pens fans before bouncing back. Malkin exploding for a hattie in game 6. Had everything. If I was a neutral observer, would have loved to see game 6.

Columbus impressed me - especially the fans. Lots of support, even when they were behind by a few, and more often then not the team rewarded their fans. Calvert scares me, hadn't rally heard of him before. And while I detest Dubinsky, you can see what he brings. I thought nerves got to them and led to some bad penalties, but they'll learn from that.

As for the Pens, all that really matters at this point is winning. The two areas that need the most work are defensive responsibility and consistent intensity. I don't know if the former can be fixed this spring, but I saw signs of the latter in game 5 and most of game 6. I know some Pens fans think we should blow out everybody else, and there's nothing wrong with high expectations. But it's a cap world and there are 30 teams trying to win. The model of success, the Red Wings, only have 4 cups in the past 20 years. Not easy to consistently win in the NHL.

League Parity sure makes the job of everyone harder, and good organizations and management teams rise to the top. I am hoping this year marks the year when Columbus joins the Bruins, Hawks, Pens, Wings, Kings etc as a well run and consistent organization. I don't have any reason to think they won't.

They really had the cards stacked against them out of the gate. So much inexperience, and not just on the ice. Coaches who'd never been at that level either. And they didn't have the scoring punch even if Horton was healthy, so on paper as in reality there was no way they were winning. So they had a specific game they had to play to compete and see if they could steal it. And that's exactly what they did, and it could have worked. Proud of the effort. And I like it as a youth coach in this city. It's going to be real easy for me to point out to kids who watched it live the real value of never giving up in a game no matter what the odds appear to be. And that hard work can put the fear of God into even the most talented opponent.

And the crowd, this city was incredible. It was awesome to see. I shared a season ticket plan with a friend who has a kid who likes hockey. He didn't grow up a fan, but his kid likes it because kids at school play. I chose not to go to the games so he could have the tickets for him and his kid. I am not sharing a plan with him next year. He just bought a full season plan. Now I have to go buy my own.

To watch these guys? No problem at all.