• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Pittsburgh Penguins(1) vs. Columbus Blue Jackets(WC 1)| ECQF

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pittsburgh-penguins.png
vs.
columbus-blue-jackets.png

SERIES SCHEDULE
Wednesday, April 16 7:30 p.m. Columbus at Pittsburgh NBCSN, CBC
Saturday, April 19 7 p.m. Columbus at Pittsburgh NBCSN, CBC
Monday, April 21 7 p.m. Pittsburgh at Columbus NBCSN, CBC
Wednesday, April 23 7 p.m. Pittsburgh at Columbus NBCSN, CBC
*Saturday, April 26 TBD Columbus at Pittsburgh CBC
*Monday, April 28 TBD Pittsburgh at Columbus CBC
*Wednesday, April 30 TBD Columbus at Pittsburgh CBC

REGULAR SEASON SERIES RECAP
Friday, November 1, 2013 - Columbus Blue Jackets 2, Pittsburgh Penguins 4
Saturday, November 2, 2013 - Pittsburgh Penguins 3, Columbus Blue Jackets 0
Monday, December 9, 2013 - Columbus Blue Jackets 1, Pittsburgh Penguins 2
Sunday, December 29, 2013 - Pittsburgh Penguins 5, Columbus Blue Jackets 3
Friday, March 28, 2014 - Pittsburgh Penguins 2, Columbus Blue Jackets 1

TEAM LEADERS

Pittsburgh Penguins
8471675.jpg

Goals: Sidney Crosby - 36 Assists: Sidney Crosby - 68 Points: Sidney Crosby - 104

Columbus Blue Jackets
8475793.jpg
8470222.jpg

Goals: Ryan Johansen - 33 Assists: James Wisniewski - 44 Points: Ryan Johansen - 63

STARTING GOALIES
Marc-Andre Fleury(39-18-5, 2.37 GAA, .915%, 5 SO) vs. Sergei Bobrovsky(32-20-5, 2.38 GAA, .923%, 5 SO)​

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought about putting this in the fancy stats thread, but it's not so fancy.

In the 18 games against playoff teams since the Olympic break, the Pens have a total of 4 ROW.

Yeah, they are playoff ready. :rolleyes:

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the first time in months I finally get to say it.

GO BLUE JACKETS!!!!!

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has already started at work.

"Pens will ROLL in this one. They were 5-0 in the regular season. Jackets are getting swept."

I Just keep quiet and remind myself of three facts.
1) Bobrovsky only played in one of those, although admittedly that was a stinker.
2) Richards sometimes rolls his wingers and creates a matchup nightmare. Byslma's achilles heel. And Richards is friends with Danny. He knows this. (Although Danny also knows that Todd has a tendency to overthink his line changes...)
3) Jackets have been playing playoff type hockey since January. This can be good and bad.

And now, thanks to Dare, I have a fourth thing to think of.

I don't expect the Jackets to win. They are young, inexperienced and some are playing hurt. But they will give the Pens more than most of their fans are expecting. And of all the possible outcomes, I think they have the best matchup against the Pens. Bruins would roll them and the Rangers would just jump on Bob accidentally. Excited for the series, not excited for all the people who left Pittsburgh and moved here because, lets face it - Pittsburgh sucks, walking around in their jerseys.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Jackets will take this series in 7. You rattle Fleury early and you control the game. A successful Bobrovsky can carry this team.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penguins in 6.
I think the Bluejackets will win game 1, then the Pens win game 2 and 3, Bluejackets win game 4, then the Penguins win game 5 and 6.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as matchups go, Pens got the best case scenario as well, but I'm still not convinced that they have the heart to even make it out of the first round. In fact, anything to expedite the departure of Bylsma is a good thing, in my mind.

I probably won't be here posting much, regardless.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as matchups go, Pens got the best case scenario as well, but I'm still not convinced that they have the heart to even make it out of the first round. In fact, anything to expedite the departure of Bylsma is a good thing, in my mind.

I add Fleury to that equation. Shero might buy out his last season if he can't trade him in the off-season and the Pens look to retool their goalie situation. Which, btw there are a ton of UFA goalies this year

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I add Fleury to that equation. Shero might buy out his last season if he can't trade him in the off-season and the Pens look to retool their goalie situation. Which, btw there are a ton of UFA goalies this year

C'mon you two... stop it. I am used to Pittsburgh fans overstating how awesome everything about their teams are and singing shitty 70's funk/dance songs ad nauseum.

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO REACT

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon you two... stop it. I am used to Pittsburgh fans overstating how awesome everything about their teams are and singing shitty 70's funk/dance songs ad nauseum.

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO REACT

Wish I could carry on the yinzer tradition for ya, I just don't have faith in the Pens goalie to get it done. Last season I was ok with the question mark in goal because Vokoun was behind him, and thank god he was, or they might have been out in Rd. 1.

I like everything else about the Pens situation for the most part. Geno has been skating and looks to me like he will play in this series. The depth in defense for once is solid. All top six are present and accounted for. I love the addition of Beau Bennett to the top six forwards, and a right-handed shot with Kunitz and Sid is what that line needs, but the X factor is Fleury, and I just don't trust him.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fleury is unreliable for sure, especially in the playoffs, but I'm still more concerned with Bylsma's impact in the course of an entire playoff series. We got curb-stomped last year, not because of Fleury's shaky play, but because we could only score 2 goals total in a 4-game sweep. Boston figured out how to lock us down, and Bylsma couldn't/wouldn't adjust to compensate.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, anything can happen, but there isn't much evidence that the Blue Jackets have much of a chance. Fleury could meltdown, and the OT goal on Sat against the Flyer's didn't make me feel very good about this mental state, but really that would be the only way.

Clb isn't exactly healthy either. But anyway, I'm guessing it will be a series with good hockey from both sides.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yes. The old 'get to our game' line out of Dan is getting tired and worn. What happens when getting to your game isn't working, Dan? Do you have a plan B? I thought the addition of Jacques Martin was supposed to address that this past off-season, but I'll be damned if I can recognize anything he has implemented to their style.

So to summarize.. Fleury and the head coach are the two primary reasons most are predicting the Pens to flame out, once again:gaah:

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they Pens will win this series if I had to put money on it but I wouldn't be shocked one bit if they lost unless they got swept. Other than that, I feel the same as stated above. If losing means bye bye Bylsma, it might be totally worth losing? MAF too. I am more into it being playoff time than being Penguins playoff time. I hope for the best but I am not delusional.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give the nod to the Pens, but more of a head twitch than an actual nod. I think both Metro series are going to be close.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It has already started at work.

"Pens will ROLL in this one. They were 5-0 in the regular season. Jackets are getting swept."

:stephena:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, those were fans that thought is was a good idea to move to Ohio.

/throwing stones from Florida, I know. :L

They aren't happy about living here. Most stores don't sell clothes in 5x, nobody puts french fries on sandwiches, and all the beer is actually good (not that Iron City swill). But alas, they didn't have much choice when all the jobs left. Where were they gonna go? Dallas?

:heh:

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't happy about living here. Most stores don't sell clothes in 5x, nobody puts french fries on sandwiches, and all the beer is actually good (not that Iron City swill). But alas, they didn't have much choice when all the jobs left. Where were they gonna go? Dallas?

:heh:

122038.gif