• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies should trade for Dexter Fowler.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dexter Fowler is a solid center fielder for the Rockies,but they want to move Gonzalez there next season. Fowler will be on the trade block. It will take a couple of minor league pitchers,or possibly Kendrick if the Rockies want him. Fowler is a switch hitter and has a high on base percentage,plus he can hit 12-14 homeruns. He has decent speed,and his fielding is good. If we can get him,we could trade revere for some bullpen help. Fowler would add mid range power and get on base a lot. I know that the Phillies just hired a stat head to help Amaro figure these things out,but will Amaro listen? The Red Sox had the highest on base percentage last season,and they won it all! Any thoughts?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would do KK for Dexter Fowler in a heart beat

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dexter Fowler is a solid center fielder for the Rockies,but they want to move Gonzalez there next season. Fowler will be on the trade block. It will take a couple of minor league pitchers,or possibly Kendrick if the Rockies want him. Fowler is a switch hitter and has a high on base percentage,plus he can hit 12-14 homeruns. He has decent speed,and his fielding is good. If we can get him,we could trade revere for some bullpen help. Fowler would add mid range power and get on base a lot. I know that the Phillies just hired a stat head to help Amaro figure these things out,but will Amaro listen? The Red Sox had the highest on base percentage last season,and they won it all! Any thoughts?

We don't want to trade Revere, a guy who will get 200 hits next year in the lead off spot. Bank on that.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't want to trade Revere, a guy who will get 200 hits next year in the lead off spot. Bank on that.

Lol "Bank on that" - why would anyone bank on that? He hasn't even come close to that - and he's got no power too so I guess he's going to hit about 180 singles

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lol "Bank on that" - why would anyone bank on that? He hasn't even come close to that - and he's got no power too so I guess he's going to hit about 180 singles

Not everyone needs to be a power hitter. Reveres job is to get on base and steal bags. He needs to improve his OBP to be a great lead-off hitter.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not everyone needs to be a power hitter. Reveres job is to get on base and steal bags. He needs to improve his OBP to be a great lead-off hitter.

Well realistically, Revere will probably finish with around 170 hits, and 155 of them will be singles, and he may walk 30 times. So he has a long way to go before he is a great lead-off hitter.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well realistically, Revere will probably finish with around 170 hits, and 155 of them will be singles, and he may walk 30 times. So he has a long way to go before he is a great lead-off hitter.

He had a .338 OBP. He needs to get that up to .360

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a .338 OBP. He needs to get that up to .360

That .338 OBP was aided by catching fire the last two months. He obviously wasn't going to keep that up, so after the grounders stop finding holes, his OBP will decrease because of his lack of walks. He really does need to hit around .330 for me to say I want him as a long-term center fielder. He doesn't not get walked because he has bad plate discipline, rather it's because the guy can only hit a fly ball 250 feet. Why would pitchers pitch around a guy who will 95% likely only getting a single if he gets a hit? He will get to first base regardless. Make him earn the hit. And that's what he did May-early July, and I give him credit. Still has a lot to prove to remain the starter beyond 2013.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and the reason for your 200 hit prediction? Oh let me guess..."gut feeling."

West, you likely didn't watch the full slate of Phillies games. If you did, you might have seen how Revere progressed during the season. He's a great spray hitter. He played 88 games, had 96 hits, 22 sb, and hit .305, and only K'd 10% of the time. He got off to a slow start in April .200, then went May .312, Jun .354, and Jul .388, then went down for 2 1/2 months.

Look at his splits from the left side of the plate:
LHP .370
RHP .285
Bases empty .285
Runners on .339
RISP .352
OBP .338 4th on Phils

Stats tell the story. What more could you want for your lead off batter? The Phillies have not had a lead off hitter like Revere in some time. No power but that's the job of Utley, Howard, Brown, Ruf, Asche, and Ruiz. My only concern is if he can return fully recovered from his ankle injury. Without a .300 hitter leading off, the Phillies will have a tough time. Yes, bank on it. 200 hits and .310 for '14. Save this post and comment on it next year as the season progresses.
:clap:

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That .338 OBP was aided by catching fire the last two months. He obviously wasn't going to keep that up, so after the grounders stop finding holes, his OBP will decrease because of his lack of walks. He really does need to hit around .330 for me to say I want him as a long-term center fielder. He doesn't not get walked because he has bad plate discipline, rather it's because the guy can only hit a fly ball 250 feet. Why would pitchers pitch around a guy who will 95% likely only getting a single if he gets a hit? He will get to first base regardless. Make him earn the hit. And that's what he did May-early July, and I give him credit. Still has a lot to prove to remain the starter beyond 2013.

Too bad more guys on the Phils couldn't catch fire for 2 months. He only Ks 10% of the time. You trivialize the single? Get serious. We need runners ON. Obviously he wasn't going to keep that up? Only the ankle injury prevented it.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch many Phillies games in 2013?

I watched every game and I know that Ben Revere, while showing flashes of being good, needs to do it in a full season - people assume that if he had stayed healthy they would have kept playing well but that's too easy to say - a lot of things could have happened even if he stayed healthy - the only way he's going to be the CF of this team is if they drastically improve their outfield and power throughout the lineup - if trading him means getting more power throughout the lineup then so be it

I absolutely despised the 2013 team, I want it flushed out of my memory - worst season I've ever saw from the Phillies in a long time - made me sick - if possible, I would have gotten rid of just about everybody and started over, that's how bad it was

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched every game and I know that Ben Revere, while showing flashes of being good, needs to do it in a full season - people assume that if he had stayed healthy they would have kept playing well but that's too easy to say - a lot of things could have happened even if he stayed healthy - the only way he's going to be the CF of this team is if they drastically improve their outfield and power throughout the lineup - if trading him means getting more power throughout the lineup then so be it

I absolutely despised the 2013 team, I want it flushed out of my memory - worst season I've ever saw from the Phillies in a long time - made me sick - if possible, I would have gotten rid of just about everybody and started over, that's how bad it was

I don't get your logic - .200, .312, .352, .388 - that's progress. Seems like it would be harder to say his fortunes would have reversed if he continued playing. No kidding, the 2013 team sucked - that's because Revere, Utley, Howard, and Ruiz lost 8 months or so.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get your logic - .200, .312, .352, .388 - that's progress. Seems like it would be harder to say his fortunes would have reversed if he continued playing. No kidding, the 2013 team sucked - that's because Revere, Utley, Howard, and Ruiz lost 8 months or so.

No, they sucked because after Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels, nobody pitched competently for a full six months and a bullpen that used 50 million different relievers

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the rockies wanted way too much in return for fowler last year.. and no one bit. would not surprise me if they pulled the same again this year.

fowler is questionable as well. aside from one year, his home/road splits are extremely bad. usually along the lines of a .300 avg/.800 ops at coors, then a .220 avg/.680 ops on the road.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You Phillies fans seem to think you can get whoever you want whenever you want. It's not that easy. You guys are always throwing out high profile names that should be on your team... Not saying Fowler is a high profile name but still. Ever heard of a farm system?