• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies fans just might make up the dumbest fan base ever

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The original poster used the words "Might Be". Perhaps he is not smart enough to know for sure. The Phillies fan base on this board is just a small sample of our fans. That being said, I think that Phillies fans are smarter than braves fans, and Mets fans. Philly fans are loyal to a fault,and they have a lot of passion,this can not be denied. One final thought, if someone were to say that we have the dumbest GM in baseball, I would agree without argument!

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing to do with injuries? ROFLOL Sorry about all the numbers.

This is offense:
__________Out_____Games Played_____stats
howard__3 months______80________76 hits, 11 hr, 33 xbh its, 43 rbi, .266
revere___2 1/2 mos_____88________96 hits, 22 sb, .305
ruiz_____2 months _____91________83 hits, 5 hr, 21 xb hits, .269
utley____1 mo total___130________131 hits, 18 hr, 68 rbi, .282
brown___3 weeks_____135________146 hits, 27 HR, 82 rbi, .274

Pitching: If Halladay were healthy he could have contributed several more wins despite his loss in velocity.
Bullpen: If there was more offense, the bullpen might not have lost so many games and starting pitchers like Hamels would have won more games.

You are so stupid. You need to realize that every team has injuries. It's not like every other team had their entire roster stay intact throughout the whole year. Furthermore, when you give 30 years old big money and lots of year, chances are you will have even more injuries than other teams. This is not dumb luck that was/will be a one occurrence in 2013. This is the Philles' front office's fault for consciously giving long term contracts to old, declining players. No, the Phillies did not deserve to be an 80 or 90 (I laugh every time I read this) win team. 73 wins was right about what this team could accomplish. They maybe even overachieved a little bit.

Just because you come up with some bullshit formula that says that our offense scored less runs and our pitching gave up more runs than in 2008 doesn't mean that the 2013 Phillies should have made the playoffs. Yes, we scored less runs and gave up more runs! It's because we sucked!

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The original poster used the words "Might Be". Perhaps he is not smart enough to know for sure. The Phillies fan base on this board is just a small sample of our fans. That being said, I think that Phillies fans are smarter than braves fans, and Mets fans. Philly fans are loyal to a fault,and they have a lot of passion,this can not be denied. One final thought, if someone were to say that we have the dumbest GM in baseball, I would agree without argument!

No, I'm not smart enough to make a statement like that with complete 100% confidence. Nobody can, unless they made up some IQ text that asked questions about baseball that were completely unbiased to age, location, or team preference, asked every single citizen in America which team they affiliate with, give them the IQ tests, (many would refuse, so not even this would be a fool-proof way to answer the questions) and then crunch the numbers and come up with the results.

But when one says that x team/team's fans is/are the worst/stupidest/gayest, it is assumed that he is excluding the Braves organization and fans, because they will always be worst/stupidest/gayest.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Number 1. The Sean dude from Ottawa that is wondering what the chances are of the Jays reuniting with Halladay. I want yell at brain-dead to wake up and work a deal with the Jays to take Halladay. They can have him.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am optimistic every year, but looking back at 2013 I don't see how you could possibly come to any conclusion than "they did not put together a team good enough to win". We all had hopes that Adams would help and the middle relievers would not give away a bunch of games but they sucked and they did give away a lot of games. And we all hoped Halladay would perform at a higher level but he didn't. It is crazy to act like the games missed listed above came as a shock to the front office. Ruiz missing games shouldn't even be on that list because a lot of games were from suspension and he's a guy who only plays about 120 games a year anyway. Utley-if you told them up front they would get 10 games out of him, most people would be ecstatic. Brown missed a couple weeks --what a shock! Howard?? - I know it's a cliche you hear fans say it so often but the old "couldn't they get someone from the minors to take his place and do about as good" actually applies here. Darin Ruf did about as good a job as Howard did while he was playing. Revere? He may have some potential, but let's face it- he was on pace to score 75-80 runs. I think the word we're looking for here is "meh" .

So yeah, they were not good enough this year and unless they get a few surprises next year they do not have enough in 2014 either.
Agreed 100%

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This comment would be valid if I had said "Phillies fans are stupid and no other fan base has any fans that are even slightly stupid"

I would say the question about Bonifacio is equally as "stupid" as the one about Mayberry. And someone suggesting the Jays bring back Halladay at this point would be about on par with a Phillies fan suggesting they bring Lidge or Thome back (not exactly but similar).

The point is any hardcore baseball fan is probably not asking Todd Zolecki questions and if someone does ask some in depth stat geek type question he probably doesn't answer it on the website. Also, not to be sexist but if you look at these forums you'll find that not many women get that involved in the minutia of baseball so I'm assuming "Kathy C from Ridley Park" is just a casual watcher, so calling her stupid is kind of unfair. I'm sure if you happened upon a scrapbooking website and asked a question she might find your question ridiculous too, but hopefully she'd realize that doesn't necessarily make you stupid.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am optimistic every year, but looking back at 2013 I don't see how you could possibly come to any conclusion than "they did not put together a team good enough to win". We all had hopes that Adams would help and the middle relievers would not give away a bunch of games but they sucked and they did give away a lot of games. And we all hoped Halladay would perform at a higher level but he didn't. It is crazy to act like the games missed listed above came as a shock to the front office. Ruiz missing games shouldn't even be on that list because a lot of games were from suspension and he's a guy who only plays about 120 games a year anyway. Utley-if you told them up front they would get 10 games out of him, most people would be ecstatic. Brown missed a couple weeks --what a shock! Howard?? - I know it's a cliche you hear fans say it so often but the old "couldn't they get someone from the minors to take his place and do about as good" actually applies here. Darin Ruf did about as good a job as Howard did while he was playing. Revere? He may have some potential, but let's face it- he was on pace to score 75-80 runs. I think the word we're looking for here is "meh" .

So yeah, they were not good enough this year and unless they get a few surprises next year they do not have enough in 2014 either.

ruiz was still MIA for 2 months (injury and suspension) which caused a steep decline from his 2012 production of .325, 121 hits, 32 doubles, 16 hr, and 68 rbi to .268 83 hits, 16 doubles, 5 hr, and 37 rbi. You can say the ruiz-kratz totals was not bad - 14 hr, 63 rbi, but kratz only hit .213, .188 w/RISP vs ruiz .278. That mattered.

The loss of revere .305, RISP .352 (only 54 AB) meant mayberry played in 134 games at .227, RISP .220 (84 AB). That mattered. .

You can say the howard - ruf totals were not bad - 25 hr, 73 rbi, .245 but ruf only hit .150 RISP. That mattered.
When you lose guys who do reasonably well with RISP, and put in poor replacements, you're dead.
RISP Avg: howard .278, brown .283, utley .330, ruiz .278, revere .352

The answers are always in the stats.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are so stupid. You need to realize that every team has injuries. It's not like every other team had their entire roster stay intact throughout the whole year. Furthermore, when you give 30 years old big money and lots of year, chances are you will have even more injuries than other teams. This is not dumb luck that was/will be a one occurrence in 2013. This is the Philles' front office's fault for consciously giving long term contracts to old, declining players. No, the Phillies did not deserve to be an 80 or 90 (I laugh every time I read this) win team. 73 wins was right about what this team could accomplish. They maybe even overachieved a little bit.

Just because you come up with some bullshit formula that says that our offense scored less runs and our pitching gave up more runs than in 2008 doesn't mean that the 2013 Phillies should have made the playoffs. Yes, we scored less runs and gave up more runs! It's because we sucked!

Hey, dummy, you're making no sense. Excellent statement - all teams have injuries - even logical. All I'm saying is that the injuries to the Phillies main position players cost the team at least 9 to 18 wins and that is not a stretch, especially if it only cost them 9 wins. No team can have so many key players out for that period of time and not have it cost them in wins. Yes, the Phillies could have been at the worst an 82-80 team w/o the missing position players. There is no other way to account for the loss of 70 hits and 80 runs in achieving a 73-89 record.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ruiz was still MIA for 2 months (injury and suspension) which caused a steep decline from his 2012 production of .325, 121 hits, 32 doubles, 16 hr, and 68 rbi to .268 83 hits, 16 doubles, 5 hr, and 37 rbi. You can say the ruiz-kratz totals was not bad - 14 hr, 63 rbi, but kratz only hit .213, .188 w/RISP vs ruiz .278. That mattered.

The loss of revere .305, RISP .352 (only 54 AB) meant mayberry played in 134 games at .227, RISP .220 (84 AB). That mattered. .

You can say the howard - ruf totals were not bad - 25 hr, 73 rbi, .245 but ruf only hit .150 RISP. That mattered.
When you lose guys who do reasonably well with RISP, and put in poor replacements, you're dead.
RISP Avg: howard .278, brown .283, utley .330, ruiz .278, revere .352

The answers are always in the stats.

For now I'll forget the fact that batting avg with RISP is a very incomplete stat and say that even if every one of your assertions is reasonable you've still got a team that even if all the starters stay healthy for the entire year the best they can expect to do is to sneak in as the last wild card team in the league. That is not a realistic expectation. We can argue all we want about last year and the truth is at this point none of it matters. What worries me and probably other fans is that if management continues to take the approach that the team is good enough if everything goes right and we don't have any injuries then the playoff years will be few and far between, like the miracle of 1993. Players get injured every year and with the team they have now it would be crazy not to expect some injuries next year. For this team to compete in 2014 they have to change some things. Either bring in some more offense or take a chance on moving some young guys up so when they either have injuries, decline in performance or prolonged slumps by anyone they have options. If those missed games you mentioned really cost them that many games then the Phillies were woefully unprepared, because outside of Revere, none of them were all that surprising.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say the question about Bonifacio is equally as "stupid" as the one about Mayberry. And someone suggesting the Jays bring back Halladay at this point would be about on par with a Phillies fan suggesting they bring Lidge or Thome back (not exactly but similar).

The point is any hardcore baseball fan is probably not asking Todd Zolecki questions and if someone does ask some in depth stat geek type question he probably doesn't answer it on the website. Also, not to be sexist but if you look at these forums you'll find that not many women get that involved in the minutia of baseball so I'm assuming "Kathy C from Ridley Park" is just a casual watcher, so calling her stupid is kind of unfair. I'm sure if you happened upon a scrapbooking website and asked a question she might find your question ridiculous too, but hopefully she'd realize that doesn't necessarily make you stupid.

I don't know what you're getting at. Yes, I agree those were stupid questions by Blue Jays fans. I'm assuming that a majority of these people do end up watching 100+ games and are familiar with the Phils because a number of fans throughout the years have supported the bad signings/trades/extensions by the front office that did watch lots of games. You won't find many of them around now (Jvett being possibly the lone survivor) because of how bad the Phillies are, and how bad these players are playing. But they were adamant that the Phillies were making the right moves when they did them. Utley extension. Howard extension. Rollins re-signing. Moyer re-signing. Papelbon signing. And now, I still hear some fans (not on this board) who watch a decent number of games and say that we should re-sign Ruiz to a multi-year deal. So yes, I think the Phillies fan base is full of idiots, just like any other one, but I think ours has even more idiots than most. Honestly, I don't give a fuck. Either way, our fan base has a lot of fucking idiots in it.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, please stop talking about Kathy C. from Ridley Park like she's some fair-weather, half-ass fan. Her and I watch a ton of games together and she has a signed 1915 Grover Cleveland Alexander jersey in her woman-cave, which is probably more valuable than all of the memorabilia you've collected in your sorry lifetime.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I beg to differ with you. I have Tim McCarver's rug and Aaron Rowand's knee brace

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've got a Hawaian shirt that Sarge vomited on from the 2010 season. That bitch is framed.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got a Hawaian shirt that Sarge vomited on from the 2010 season. That bitch is framed.

You must have had to pay good coin to get your hands on a collectible item like that.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would you consider trading it for a rolled up dollar bill signed by Otis Nixon, a folded dollar bill signed by Patrick Ewing and a Trojan wrapper signed by Pat the Bat?

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For now I'll forget the fact that batting avg with RISP is a very incomplete stat and say that even if every one of your assertions is reasonable you've still got a team that even if all the starters stay healthy for the entire year the best they can expect to do is to sneak in as the last wild card team in the league. That is not a realistic expectation. We can argue all we want about last year and the truth is at this point none of it matters. What worries me and probably other fans is that if management continues to take the approach that the team is good enough if everything goes right and we don't have any injuries then the playoff years will be few and far between, like the miracle of 1993. Players get injured every year and with the team they have now it would be crazy not to expect some injuries next year. For this team to compete in 2014 they have to change some things. Either bring in some more offense or take a chance on moving some young guys up so when they either have injuries, decline in performance or prolonged slumps by anyone they have options. If those missed games you mentioned really cost them that many games then the Phillies were woefully unprepared, because outside of Revere, none of them were all that surprising.

Cedrique, both of your comments raised interesting points. Regardless of how many games were affected by what I'm calling position player months lost, and I feel there were many, I do agree that 2014 prospects for the Phillies are still very shakey. I cannot say they will make the playoffs with so many ifs, but I will put long shot money on just that because things could not have been any worse in 2013, and I think (hope) we'll see a solid turn around.