• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies fans just might make up the dumbest fan base ever

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the inbox on Phillies.com:

With rumors of Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton being traded for a heavy price, would Ruben Amaro Jr. try to acquire him, and what would be the cost? I could foresee Jesse Biddle, Darin Ruf, Ben Revere, Asche, and maybe Freddy Galvis.
-- Bob D., West Creek, N.J.

Looking at the list of pending free agents, not too many names stick out, but to fill the void of a right-handed bat, do you think the Phillies are interested in Nelson Cruz, Hunter Pence or Michael Morse? Two other guys on that list that would be interesting are Carlos Beltran and Jacoby Ellsbury.
-- Joe W., Newark, DE

It just doesn't make any sense to make pitching a No. 1 priority, considering Citizens Bank Park is a hitters' park and the 2008 Phillies hit their way to a win a World Series. Why not focus on offense in the offseason? The Phillies need power and to increase their on-base percentage.
-- Ron K., Hughestown, Pa.

And my personal favorite
What is going to happen to Mayberry? I feel he can play if they give him a chance. He has speed, and he can catch.
-- Kathy C., Ridley Park, Pa.

Todd Zolecki must feel like shooting himself after he has to make a jackass of himself and give a serious, professional response to these idiots.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why pull out dumb Phila. area comments and accuse the fanbase of being dumb? There are really dumb, uninformed fans in every city.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every fan base does have it's idiots but there are Phillies fans who are really delusional - especially the JMJ one where that person says if given the chance he can be a good player - he's terrible

Also, the Phillies really need pitching - their starting pitching was awful after Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels - they had problems hitting but the pitching was so atrocious in the 3-4-5 spots in the rotation - it might have been historically atrocious

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why pull out dumb Phila. area comments and accuse the fanbase of being dumb? There are really dumb, uninformed fans in every city.

The main reason is that I am around so many of them. Sure, every fan base has its fair share of idiots, but I honestly believe that Phillies fans rank towards the top of the list when it comes to stupid, delusional fans. There is absolutely no way to quantify this so if you disagree then I will not argue with you, I'm just telling you my gut feeling. I think the reason behind it is that the fan base attracted a lot of fans from '07- '11 that are now casual fans of the team, and not very familiar or knowledgeable with/about the Phillies or Major League Baseball in general, and thus make complete idiots of themselves when talking about it.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every fan base does have it's idiots but there are Phillies fans who are really delusional - especially the JMJ one where that person says if given the chance he can be a good player - he's terrible

Also, the Phillies really need pitching - their starting pitching was awful after Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels - they had problems hitting but the pitching was so atrocious in the 3-4-5 spots in the rotation - it might have been historically atrocious

I don't think I've talked to you before Cobie. What's up. I would rather have the team look into the bullpen and back end of the rotation than trying to upgrade our offense. Our lineup, unfortunately, is basically set. The only open positions are catcher and right field. Unless Amaro signs Ellsbury or Choo to long term contracts, those positions will be filled either internally or via a low-key signing. The rotation is what really needs to be addressed. A rotation that included Halladay, Cloyd, and Miner in September was obviously begging for help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I've talked to you before Cobie. What's up. I would rather have the team look into the bullpen and back end of the rotation than trying to upgrade our offense. Our lineup, unfortunately, is basically set. The only open positions are catcher and right field. Unless Amaro signs Ellsbury or Choo to long term contracts, those positions will be filled either internally or via a low-key signing. The rotation is what really needs to be addressed. A rotation that included Holladay, Cloyd, and Miner in September was obviously begging for help.
Yeah unfortunately I don't see a major improvement in the field - a lot of those guys are locked up

They desperately need starting pitching depth - they have Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels and Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, so they're looking at two more pitchers at least - maybe Jonathan Pettibone fills one of the spots or is a 6th starter, but the rotation was so bad - if the Phillies got competent pitching from their 3-4-5 in the rotation at the very least they finish .500, maybe they're in the hunt

Offense had the same core guys in 2012 when they made a 2nd half run, maybe you get more pitching and this team can do something next year, that being said I honestly think as long as RAJ is still here, this team is doomed

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah unfortunately I don't see a major improvement in the field - a lot of those guys are locked up

They desperately need starting pitching depth - they have Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels and Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, so they're looking at two more pitchers at least - maybe Jonathan Pettibone fills one of the spots or is a 6th starter, but the rotation was so bad - if the Phillies got competent pitching from their 3-4-5 in the rotation at the very least they finish .500, maybe they're in the hunt

Offense had the same core guys in 2012 when they made a 2nd half run, maybe you get more pitching and this team can do something next year, that being said I honestly think as long as RAJ is still here, this team is doomed

I like Pettibone. Chances are, he's in the rotation come April. Maybe the free agent market is looked at for a fifth starter, but it's a pretty slim and bare market. I have said I would be interested in Josh Johnson if healthy, but that's a huge if that not even a tryout can fully determine. At least I am happy to say that Cloyd and Lanham won't be in the 2014 rotation. Let's keep the good trend rolling with no Halladay and no Kendrick.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Halladay is toast and if brain-dead trots him out on the field next season, the dumbass ought be bitch-slapped to death!!

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Pettibone. Chances are, he's in the rotation come April. Maybe the free agent market is looked at for a fifth starter, but it's a pretty slim and bare market. I have said I would be interested in Josh Johnson if healthy, but that's a huge if that not even a tryout can fully determine. At least I am happy to say that Cloyd and Lanham won't be in the 2014 rotation. Let's keep the good trend rolling with no Halladay and no Kendrick.
Yep Josh Johnson is a major if - there are some other guys out there - I love Ervin Santana but he's going to cost a lot - I would LOVE for the Phillies to sign Tanaka, that would be amazing

And I agree on KK and Doc - it's time for them to move on

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main reason is that I am around so many of them. Sure, every fan base has its fair share of idiots, but I honestly believe that Phillies fans rank towards the top of the list when it comes to stupid, delusional fans. There is absolutely no way to quantify this so if you disagree then I will not argue with you, I'm just telling you my gut feeling. I think the reason behind it is that the fan base attracted a lot of fans from '07- '11 that are now casual fans of the team, and not very familiar or knowledgeable with/about the Phillies or Major League Baseball in general, and thus make complete idiots of themselves when talking about it.

As someone who has lived in a few different places and traveled all over the US I can say that I disagree. People everywhere are generally disappointing. As far as Phillies fans being less knowledgeable about baseball in general, it is just not true. There are people with all different levels of interest in knowledge of baseball everywhere. Not everyone is a die hard fan. I do agree that the casual fans may be more vocal in the Philadelphia area because of the recent success and decline but that would happen in Chicago if the Cubs won the division for a couple years in a row too.

John

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With rumors of Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton being traded for a heavy price, would Ruben Amaro Jr. try to acquire him, and what would be the cost? I could foresee Jesse Biddle, Darin Ruf, Ben Revere, Asche, and maybe Freddy Galvis.

Looking at the list of pending free agents, not too many names stick out, but to fill the void of a right-handed bat, do you think the Phillies are interested in Nelson Cruz, Hunter Pence or Michael Morse? Two other guys on that list that would be interesting are Carlos Beltran and Jacoby Ellsbury.
-- Joe W., Newark, DE

It just doesn't make any sense to make pitching a No. 1 priority, considering Citizens Bank Park is a hitters' park and the 2008 Phillies hit their way to a win a World Series. Why not focus on offense in the offseason? The Phillies need power and to increase their on-base percentage.

And my personal favorite
What is going to happen to Mayberry? I feel he can play if they give him a chance. He has speed, and he can catch.

Todd Zolecki must feel like shooting himself after he has to make a jackass of himself and give a serious, professional response to these idiots.
After getting out of "jail", I thought that you were going to control yourself and keep thoughts like this to yourself. I guess "addicts" can't help it. Oh well. Enjoy your freedom.
BTW - There ARE other forums.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After getting out of "jail", I thought that you were going to control yourself and keep thoughts like this to yourself. I guess "addicts" can't help it. Oh well. Enjoy your freedom.
BTW - There ARE other forums.

Are you serious? I can't even express my views about my fellow fans when they make stupid statements? And LOL at me being an "addict." Like I wake up and get a sudden rush when I type something bad about another team or player.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone who has lived in a few different places and traveled all over the US I can say that I disagree. People everywhere are generally disappointing. As far as Phillies fans being less knowledgeable about baseball in general, it is just not true. There are people with all different levels of interest in knowledge of baseball everywhere. Not everyone is a die hard fan. I do agree that the casual fans may be more vocal in the Philadelphia area because of the recent success and decline but that would happen in Chicago if the Cubs won the division for a couple years in a row too.

Yes, I know that not everyone is a die-hard fan, but I just think the Phillies fan base has more dumb asses than most other fan bases. However, if you've lived in different places and traveled frequently, you would be better equipped to answer the question so I'll leave it at that. It's not like there's some statistic that I can pull out of my ass to convince you that the Phillies fan base is stupid, and there isn't one that you can pull out of your ass to convince me that other fan bases have just as stupid fans.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

He is never healthy. Don't be part of the dumb fan base. Resist the urge.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I know that not everyone is a die-hard fan, but I just think the Phillies fan base has more dumb asses than most other fan bases. However, if you've lived in different places and traveled frequently, you would be better equipped to answer the question so I'll leave it at that. It's not like there's some statistic that I can pull out of my ass to convince you that the Phillies fan base is stupid, and there isn't one that you can pull out of your ass to convince me that other fan bases have just as stupid fans.

Here's something that you don't have to pull out of anyone's ass that shows your comment is narrow and dumb:

Phila. tri-state area population: 6,000,000 people. If only 1/3 of these folks were phillies fans, we have a fan base of 2,000,000. Your sampling amount: 4, or .00002 % of the fan base. Case closed.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

-- Joe W., Newark, DE

And my personal favorite

Also, you forgot this dandy of a quote:

"I think it's safe to say that for each player-month lost, the Phillies probably lost 1 to 2 games, that is 9 to 18 games. And remember, the Phillies lost 27 one run games. Therefore, with a healthy roster, their 73-88 record could well have been 82-80, or even 91-71."

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"I think it's safe to say that for each player-month lost, the Phillies probably lost 1 to 2 games, that is 9 to 18 games. And remember, the Phillies lost 27 one run games. Therefore, with a healthy roster, their 73-88 record could well have been 82-80, or even 91-71."
lol

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was quite a dandy of a quote. If jvett wants to e-mail Todd Zolecki, I will gladly add his questions to the list.