• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies come to the Globe May 16-18

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to rethink how the organization should approach Darvish. If ohtani and Darvish are close and Darvish really does want to stay, I'd be in favor of keeping him regardless of the standings. It looks like keeping Darvish would help our chances with ohtani. Having those 2 guys with Cole would still be a pretty salty rotation. I still think Lucroy isn't a good fit here and should be unloaded for prospects at the deadline. We can make due with chirinos and some backup who is good at fielding the position but can't hit.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are just about one-fourth of the way through the season. We have played 9 games against teams with a winning record and are 2-7 against those teams. We are 17-13 against teams with a losing record. In our 19 games that we have won the opponents combined record is 321-396 and average a record of 17-21.

The good news is we still have quite a few games the rest of the month against losing teams. After that it starts to swing the other way. 16 of the 26 games in June are against teams with winning records.
Perhaps we find our groove by then or those teams struggle when we get to them. :-)

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point we have 51 games left against teams that currently have a .500 or better record and 72 against teams with a losing record.
Again that can change in little time.

Didn't we do well against above .500 teams and struggle against cellar dwellers?

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoying can't hit. I was hoping he wouldn't be the one called up.
He comes up plays two weeks and then exercises his out clause. Frees up a 40 man spot for a younger player if we have one to come up for the rest of the time Gomez is out.

Sure I'm sure he may stink up the joint at the plate. However what choice do we have.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Profar can do both of those by himself

Deshields isn't any worse than Profar in CF and probably a bit better and Profar hasn't shown he can hit any better than him either

Rua will get his regular shot now hopefully

Hoying hopefully isn't much more than OF depth
When Profar was brought up in a similar situation last year he hit .333 and had an OPS of .853 when he was playing everyday for 19 games. That came right after playing everyday in the minors. This year the ridiculous three-headed monster experiment messed up all three of the guys that were a part of it during the first few weeks of the season.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Profar was brought up in a similar situation last year he hit .333 and had an OPS of .853 when he was playing everyday for 19 games. That came right after playing everyday in the minors. This year the ridiculous three-headed monster experiment messed up all three of the guys that were a part of it during the first few weeks of the season.

Maybe so, but he's still not a good CFer... worse than Deshields

Also, Rua and Deshields were already the ones they decided to keep in the majors, why not continue that and actually give them a chance now that Gomez is hurt for a couple weeks? Profar has what 50ish ABs since going to AAA? I'd like to see him prove it a bit longer and give him the next chance

What you suggest is throwing a wrench back into the playing time situation by creating a desire to play Profar as much as possible again

Give Rua some time to actually get regular ABs and see what happens, and hopefully Hoying is just roster filler at this point

If Rua fails then you have a reason to call Profar up the next time there is a need

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Profar needs to stay right where he is. He needs consistency, and he's getting that at Round Rock.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN has Zach Eflin as the starter for the Phillies tonight, but I heard early Jerad Eickhoff would start. :noidea:

Also, what position (s) is Profar working at now?

Last edited:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks.......And all the more reason to leave him in RR.
I agree with you and JTA. We need to know if Rua and Profar can indeed play MLB. Now is the perfect time for Ryan to answer and he is on the 25 man roster so it makes all the sense in the world to give him his chance to prove himself. Profar is where he needs to be for time being. He can field at the top level but hitting has to be proven. It' time to fish or cut bait. This 3 man rotation was never good and time to fix it. We are on the right track and need to hold this position till these two gentlemen answer the questions. Then end it. Time to shut up DT. O&O.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Profar needs to stay right where he is. He needs consistency, and he's getting that at Round Rock.
I agree. Wherever he is at he needs to play everyday I only suggested bringing him up because with the Gomez injury he could get consistent playing time here.

Of course he could have played almost everyday up here at the beginning of the season had Banny sat the other guys down once a week. Both he and Rua could have played regularly because of their versatility, but not all three of them.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe so, but he's still not a good CFer... worse than Deshields

Also, Rua and Deshields were already the ones they decided to keep in the majors, why not continue that and actually give them a chance now that Gomez is hurt for a couple weeks? Profar has what 50ish ABs since going to AAA? I'd like to see him prove it a bit longer and give him the next chance

What you suggest is throwing a wrench back into the playing time situation by creating a desire to play Profar as much as possible again

Give Rua some time to actually get regular ABs and see what happens, and hopefully Hoying is just roster filler at this point

If Rua fails then you have a reason to call Profar up the next time there is a need
I get the feeling when Beltre comes back that Joey goes to LF full time so it may not matter too much what Rua does unless he learns to play CF. I think the only long term opening is in CF. Long term meaning the 4-6 weeks that Gomez is supposed to miss.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's time Rua to prove that he is worthy of a roster spot on this team. Banny needs to play him against righties and lefties.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to call up Brinson to play CF?

I know if "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts...

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's time Rua to prove that he is worthy of a roster spot on this team. Banny needs to play him against righties and lefties.
To me, he could hit .400 or .200 over the next couple of weeks and it wouldn't prove anything one way or another. Sound bites of playing time don't give much of an idea what a young guy can do.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the feeling when Beltre comes back that Joey goes to LF full time so it may not matter too much what Rua does unless he learns to play CF. I think the only long term opening is in CF. Long term meaning the 4-6 weeks that Gomez is supposed to miss.
Unless Guzman is in line at first, Rua can handle it just fine. Just more decisions. Getting interesting to say the least.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, he could hit .400 or .200 over the next couple of weeks and it wouldn't prove anything one way or another. Sound bites of playing time don't give much of an idea what a young guy can do.
If he can hit around .300 in the next 4 to 6 weeks, it proves he can hit if he's given consistent at bats.