• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PGAT POTY Frontrunner?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some venom there...obviously you feel he cheated on the course so I have to assume that's part of it, and if you're like most people that hate TW, his on course demeanor is part of it too.

I have no real issue with Tiger, (or Phil) but admittedly lost a lot of respect for him as well. Not so much on the course. I could handle the infidelity stuff, (I've been faithful for 25+ yrs somehow, but I know shit happens) Outright lying about it ran against the grain of how I was raised.

There was never an explanation when I got older, but growing up I got the worse beatings for lying...even small ones resulted in punishment so Lance Armstrong, Bill Clinton, all these people that try to deceive 1st and then come clean...too late.

That said...whether he catches Jack or not, Tiger imo is the best player the game has seen. Jack the great winner the game has seen since many of Snead's wins had pretty weak fields.

The infidellity thing to me is his business and I don't particularly hold that against him. I just don't care for his demeanor on the course and the way he treats people. He is so opposite of the persona that Nike tried to create for him and that bothers me. I have no problem with Mickelson however, he seems like a genuinely nice person.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The infidellity thing to me is his business and I don't particularly hold that against him. I just don't care for his demeanor on the course and the way he treats people. He is so opposite of the persona that Nike tried to create for him and that bothers me. I have no problem with Mickelson however, he seems like a genuinely nice person.

Tiger...got it, and for the most part I agree about his on course demeanor. Well earned reputation he has.

Phil...I'm sure he's a great guy and all, but I followed him for all 18 holes @ the Bellsouth, (he lit that track up that day BTW) 1st rd (the same yr he won his 1st Masters) and he's not the same guy off camera...he cusses, blew off some kids wanting autographs, etc. Blowing off the kids didn't bother me b/c he was working. Even Brian Katrek (has a local golf radio show on Sat mornings) whom I've met several times said a few things about Phil that were not that flattering, nothing terrible, but when you hear the term phony Phil, there's some truth there.

My best pro golfer encounter was Couples...now he was like a really down to earth, genuine guy. Chatted with us from his tee ball nearly all the way to his ball in the fairway and we were outside the ropes. The worst was Scott Hoch, still to this day I don't care for the man so I guess we all have that guy.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger...got it, and for the most part I agree about his on course demeanor. Well earned reputation he has.

Phil...I'm sure he's a great guy and all, but I followed him for all 18 holes @ the Bellsouth, (he lit that track up that day BTW) 1st rd (the same yr he won his 1st Masters) and he's not the same guy off camera...he cusses, blew off some kids wanting autographs, etc. Blowing off the kids didn't bother me b/c he was working. Even Brian Katrek (has a local golf radio show on Sat mornings) whom I've met several times said a few things about Phil that were not that flattering, nothing terrible, but when you hear the term phony Phil, there's some truth there.

My best pro golfer encounter was Couples...now he was like a really down to earth, genuine guy. Chatted with us from his tee ball nearly all the way to his ball in the fairway and we were outside the ropes. The worst was Scott Hoch, still to this day I don't care for the man so I guess we all have that guy.

Scott Hoch was voted the most unpopular pro on tour several years back. I don't remember why but when he was told about it in an interview he seemed genuinely hurt by it and I felt bad for him. I know another guy who met Couples a couple of times when Couples was doing a re-design at a course that this guy was the president of the men's club at and he said the same thing about Couples that you did.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Hoch was voted the most unpopular pro on tour several years back. I don't remember why but when he was told about it in an interview he seemed genuinely hurt by it and I felt bad for him. I know another guy who met Couples a couple of times when Couples was doing a re-design at a course that this guy was the president of the men's club at and he said the same thing about Couples that you did.

Hoch...I normally don't take any of this stuff personal, but this one stung a bit...practice round, had my nephew (9 y/o) with us...and bought him a cap as a memento...he saw a bunch of kids getting stuff signed so he joined in...we walked a few holes and stop @ a par 3, nice spot so we just hung out at that hole as groups came by he would get signatures on his hat.

When Hoch's group (him, Hal Sutton, and Stewart Cink I think) came thru...the kid did the same thing...Hoch took his hat and signed it...look my nephew square in the eyes and threw (dropped is more fair) his cap on the ground and moved to the next. He's standing less than 2' from him now. I asked why did you throw his cap on the ground? What does it matter, these kids are just going to sell this shit anyway was his reply. Now he didn't know if the kid was with me or not, but my blood was boiling...I just didn't say anything else.

Sutton saw this, and when my nephew picked the cap up, Sutton signed it, then took off his glove and handed both to him...almost as if he were trying to make up for Hoch being an asshole.

The kid got probably got 20+ signatures on that cap...Hoch was the only one that did something like that...I will say it wasn't personal because he did it to other kids on the same hole...maybe he didn't know who to give the signed item back to so that was his way of handling it. Probably petty of me to hang on to something minor like that, but it was my only encounter with the man. Good player though...made a ton on tour.

Couples...maybe 5'10", but he just bombs the ball still to this day. I'm 6'3" 230, he seemed like a small guy...but he's asking us about our golf games. have we played such and such course that he designed, (we had played it) talked about several holes on that course...totally unexpected.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoch...I normally don't take any of this stuff personal, but this one stung a bit...practice round, had my nephew (9 y/o) with us...and bought him a cap as a memento...he saw a bunch of kids getting stuff signed so he joined in...we walked a few holes and stop @ a par 3, nice spot so we just hung out at that hole as groups came by he would get signatures on his hat.

When Hoch's group (him, Hal Sutton, and Stewart Cink I think) came thru...the kid did the same thing...Hoch took his hat and signed it...look my nephew square in the eyes and threw (dropped is more fair) his cap on the ground and moved to the next. He's standing less than 2' from him now. I asked why did you throw his cap on the ground? What does it matter, these kids are just going to sell this shit anyway was his reply. Now he didn't know if the kid was with me or not, but my blood was boiling...I just didn't say anything else.

Sutton saw this, and when my nephew picked the cap up, Sutton signed it, then took off his glove and handed both to him...almost as if he were trying to make up for Hoch being an asshole.

The kid got probably got 20+ signatures on that cap...Hoch was the only one that did something like that...I will say it wasn't personal because he did it to other kids on the same hole...maybe he didn't know who to give the signed item back to so that was his way of handling it. Probably petty of me to hang on to something minor like that, but it was my only encounter with the man. Good player though...made a ton on tour.

Couples...maybe 5'10", but he just bombs the ball still to this day. I'm 6'3" 230, he seemed like a small guy...but he's asking us about our golf games. have we played such and such course that he designed, (we had played it) talked about several holes on that course...totally unexpected.

Willie Mays did something similar to me when I was a little kid and trying to get his autograph before a game in Candlestick. jadeed my memory of him ever since.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willie Mays did something similar to me when I was a little kid and trying to get his autograph before a game in Candlestick. jadeed my memory of him ever since.

That sucks...especially when you're kid.

Another nice brush was with the man himself...Jack Nicklaus...he design a course Bear's Best near where live and he played all 18 holes...he had a mic on him and was describing each hole as he went along...at the end there was a wine & cheese gathering on the practice green and he walked around and shook hands, talked to people, thanking us for coming etc...for some reason I expected him to be kind of standoffish...not a bit.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sucks...especially when you're kid.

Another nice brush was with the man himself...Jack Nicklaus...he design a course Bear's Best near where live and he played all 18 holes...he had a mic on him and was describing each hole as he went along...at the end there was a wine & cheese gathering on the practice green and he walked around and shook hands, talked to people, thanking us for coming etc...for some reason I expected him to be kind of standoffish...not a bit.

He spoke to us at the U.S. Public Links Championship back in 1991 and he was very nice. I came away impressed. I've always rooted for the underdog so he was not one of my favorite players but I came away impressd that day.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toby's favorite golfer is on fire at Firestone right now.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toby's favorite golfer is on fire at Firestone right now.

He is killing it! Did you see that 7 iron from 199 he just stuck on the pin?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yup tiger just went 9 under after 13 holes

As long as he doesn't win a Major. Those are the only ones that are important to him.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Couples is a pervert and serial cheater whose track record with women puts Tiger's to shame. He has an agent whose job at the golf tournaments is to track down young girls and bring them back for him.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mr. Woods has this by the balls right now

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated standings top six
1. Woods 100 pts.
2. Mickelson 64 pts.
3. Rose 58 pts.
4. Scott 52 pts.
5. Kuchar 46 pts.
6. Snedeker 42 pts.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone get Toby a tissue.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not over...Phil would get bonus pts if he wins the PGA.

That said, Firestone is like playing in Tiger's backyard...Sunday he didn't need to do much more than he did, but his driving overall this week might not be good enough @ Oak Hill. It wi;; be interesting to see how they set it up.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated standings top six
1. Woods 100 pts.
2. Mickelson 64 pts.
3. Rose 58 pts.
4. Scott 52 pts.
5. Kuchar 46 pts.
6. Snedeker 42 pts.

Are there official rankings ? I thought they just voted on this. In any case with the PGA and Fed Ex still to play there are a few guys still in the running though Tiger is definitely the front runner currently.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are there official rankings ? I thought they just voted on this. In any case with the PGA and Fed Ex still to play there are a few guys still in the running though Tiger is definitely the front runner currently.

PGA of America is oldest awards and the point system is how they decide.

PGA TOUR is the newer award and it is voted on by the players.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone get Toby a tissue.

Well, there are a couple of positives we can take away from this. 1, he played progressively worse each day from Friday to Sunday, culminating in a mediocre 70 even par on the last day. The other is that it is very difficult to win 2 in a row and the major goal we all want is to keep Woods from winning another Major. He still can't drive the ball and will most likely struggle at Oakmont. I',m keeping the faith he'll implode again on the weekend at another Major.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm... The PGA is at Oak Hill, not Oakmont