• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PFF Names Watt Best Defender

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF names J.J. Watt Defensive Player of Year

J.J. Watt was the best defensive player in the NFL, according to the fine folks at Pro Football Focus. For the second straight season, Watt picked up the honors from the website, and he scored even better than he did in 2012.

Last year, he "broke the PFF grading system with a season total of 101.6, but this year that total finished up at 111.6, a full 10 grading points better." PFF has a unique grading system that takes into account a variety of factors, and Watt performed even better than he did in his superlative 2012 campaign.

Defensive tackle Gerald McCoy and linebacker Lavonte David, both of Tampa Bay, were the second and third runners up for the honor, while Saint Louis defensive end Robert Quinn was the first runner up.
The article's author, Sam Monson, pointed out that his poorest performance of the year came in the Week 6 loss to the Rams. Even then, though, Monson described his enormous impact on the strategy employed by Saint Louis.

"They ran away from where he lined up, they double teamed him at times, and when they didn’t they made sure that they were passing too quickly for him to get to the quarterback. The point, though, is that in order to contain J.J. Watt you need to completely change your offense. He affects games like no other defender."

Monson finished off his description of Watt's place in the game with this sentence in his final paragraph about Watt.

"Right now Watt is the best defender in football, and the best player period in the NFL."

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite a testament to Watt that he continued to play with such intensity when things went so badly for his team.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite a testament to Watt that he continued to play with such intensity when things went so badly for his team.

True that............but the best player in football??

Me thinks not

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True that............but the best player in football??

Me thinks not

I can't really say for sure, but I have no problem at least calling him the best defensive player in football. Not sure how one can meaningfully rank defensive against offensive players, though.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watt McCoy and David as the top 3?????? I think that spells out a lack of credibility....

Quinn, Thomas, Sherman, Mathis all should be in front of all three of them.

You don't have to be on the BEST teams defense,,,,but you can't be on the worst........

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watt McCoy and David as the top 3?????? I think that spells out a lack of credibility....

Quinn, Thomas, Sherman, Mathis all should be in front of all three of them.

You don't have to be on the BEST teams defense,,,,but you can't be on the worst........

Yeah, I was surprised that Quinn didn't finish second. I also agree that it's questionable that the second and third best defensive players in the league could be on TB, but I think they are much closer to middle of the pack than worst in the league.

Am I Blue Through it All?

Herald of the Apocalypse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the pick. That guy is special. Wish old man Mathis got some love though.

Of course, Luck is the best player in football. I swear.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the pick. That guy is special. Wish old man Mathis got some love though.

Of course, Luck is the best player in football. I swear.

I think your team would be better off with a veteran QB. Tell ya what ... how about the Colts and Texans swap QBs. You give us that second-year pro and we'll give you our veteran.

:whistle:

Am I Blue Through it All?

Herald of the Apocalypse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think your team would be better off with a veteran QB. Tell ya what ... how about the Colts and Texans swap QBs. You give us that second-year pro and we'll give you our veteran.

:whistle:

I would not trade Luck for your whole team. And I have tremendous respect for a lot of your players besides JJ. I still think someone is going be one happy sonofabitch he got that gig as HC. It will not take much for your team to be a top contender.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was surprised that Quinn didn't finish second..
The article says he is first runner up. Im assuming that means he finished second