• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe deserve to be in the HOF

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here is the Kumbaya argument again.

Dude committed the holiest of holy sins in sports and is now paying the SUBSTANTIAL price for it. Why not wait for the sentence to be fully paid?

His HOF induction is on layaway. He does not get to collect it until it is fully paid for. Simple as that.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why so much hate directed at Pete? He didn't give you an autograph when you were a kid?

He signed. But I had to save up $50 er sumthin and stand in line. Prolly three different times. He was like Superman to me.

Was a huge fan growing up. My GranDad saved the sports section from the day he broke Cobbs record, kept it in a folder in a drawer, and left it in his will for me.

But I grew up. He stayed out of prison by taking that deal. (Baseball didnt need to make things any uglier either.) Pete's posthumous glory is fair, to me.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlie Hustle should have been put in years ago. Even if they had to put up a special plaque stating his gambling problems then so be it but install Pete in or tear it down.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Shoeless Joe, but Pete Rose is banned for life, so he shouldn't get in until he dies. That being said, the steroid freaks should never get in, even after they die.

Well, it is too late now... RJ just got in with 97% of the votes! If they let him in, they gotta let Rocket in...

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here is the Kumbaya argument again.

Dude committed the holiest of holy sins in sports and is now paying the SUBSTANTIAL price for it. Why not wait for the sentence to be fully paid?

His HOF induction is on layaway. He does not get to collect it until it is fully paid for. Simple as that.

I saw it more as a no win for Rose more like a settlement.

Nobody is putting Rose in as a manager, its a player. I cant stand the fact they3 caved and even let Santo in. Now mattingly is out until some veteran committed decides he was snubbed when mattingly won 9 gold gloves to santos 5 and Mattingly actually had some competition with better first basemen.

Its a joke. The only thing I wanted to hear from the Santo family when Ron was inducted was fuck you. Wait til he is dead with some pity mention. But instead they played the role to get him inshrined.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete didn't have much of a choice.

because Giamatti had the proof and Rose didn't want to it getting out. Then for the next 20 years he lied and lied and lied.

I have no sympthany for Pete.

R.I.P Bart Giamatti

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did not know this guy was Bart's kid

th

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete didn't have much of a choice.

Nobody held a gun to his head, correct?

Chances are, he probably knew that Dowd/MLB were close to proving that he bet against his own team, and he wanted the investigation ended ASAP so that couldn't be proven/included in the report.

Dowd himself said he had evidence that Rose bet against his team, and was working on verifying it when the investigation suddenly had to wrap up because of the deal Rose struck with baseball.

ESPN.com: MLB - Dowd: Rose 'probably' bet against Reds while manager

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nobody is putting Rose in as a manager, its a player. I cant stand the fact they3 caved and even let Santo in. Now mattingly is out until some veteran committed decides he was snubbed when mattingly won 9 gold gloves to santos 5 and Mattingly actually had some competition with better first basemen.

Its a joke. The only thing I wanted to hear from the Santo family when Ron was inducted was fuck you. Wait til he is dead with some pity mention. But instead they played the role to get him inshrined.

Mattingly's no HOFer. Santo deserved it from the start, but I wouldn't vote Mattingly in.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shoeless Joe should be in. As should Bonds and Clemens, roids or no, since they were the best in their era at their crafts. Even if he never juiced, Bonds would have been an inner-circle Hall of Famer, unless he was also taking steroids for his eyes, which I'm fairly certain isn't a thing. Well, I guess Vitamin A tablets, but I'm fairly certain multivitamins aren't banned, so...

I'm okay with Rose having to wait until he's dead to get in, but by merit of his play, he should eventually get there.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ahahahhahahahahhahaha no.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. Steroids had been part of baseball's banned substance list since 1991.

Are you talking about the Fay Vincent memo? It did not apply to people in the players union. Vincent has talked about this before, let me find it

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved watching Pete play, but I think Rose's well deserved lifetime ban is a solid deterrent for others not to disgrace the game like he did.

I don't remember any gambling on baseball scandals lately.

jctoo

cult elitist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it is too late now... RJ just got in with 97% of the votes! If they let him in, they gotta let Rocket in...

so ... you're of the opinion that RJ roided? evidence, links, etc?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you talking about the Fay Vincent memo? It did not apply to people in the players union. Vincent has talked about this before, let me find it

Here we go.

Interview - Fay Vincent - Former Commissioner

Vincent: I don’t remember much about the circumstances and I don’t remember who really pushed for it. But, I can speculate that it came out of an awareness that for people who were not in the union – not protected by the Union agreement – that steroids might be a problem. I think that we had become to realize that there were a variety of other compounds floating around that were dangerous. We’d heard rumors about Jose Canseco. I think we thought that steroids and the like were basically a “football problem”, but we did think that they were dangerous. And so for at least coaches and managers and everybody else in baseball we thought we ought to go on record and say that this is bad stuff and we don’t want it getting a toe-hold in baseball.

I wish I remembered more. Obviously, it wasn’t a major thing because I don’t think any of us thought steroids was really a major issue at the time. We were so wrapped up in cocaine problems, so I just don’t remember that much about it.

I’m sure that what the General Managers are saying is correct that nobody paid too much attention to it because it was aimed at people who probably weren’t big steroid users anyway. I mean the clubhouse man, and the coaches would hardly be taking steroids. But that’s all we could do. We couldn’t do anything with the union because the union wouldn’t even give us a hearing on strengthening the cocaine drug problem laws. I mean, I’m glad I did it (sent the memo), I wished we’d done more.

BizBall: So, on the contents of the memo, was the subject matter of the document broached to the union at the time, or was this a matter of this is an internal thing sent to the clubs, “Please be aware.”

Vincent: I don’t know the answer to that question. I think it would have been highly unusual to raise it with the union because we knew that there was a contract with them there was no way we could do anything in the middle of the contract. And, I think it was really our attempt to be on record, if this was our universe, if we controlled the whole thing, this is what we would do. And we did it, but we did it only for the people that were not covered by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

jctoo

cult elitist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shoeless Joe should be in. As should Bonds and Clemens, roids or no, since they were the best in their era at their crafts. Even if he never juiced, Bonds would have been an inner-circle Hall of Famer, unless he was also taking steroids for his eyes, which I'm fairly certain isn't a thing. Well, I guess Vitamin A tablets, but I'm fairly certain multivitamins aren't banned, so...

I'm okay with Rose having to wait until he's dead to get in, but by merit of his play, he should eventually get there.

Jackson got screwed ...

Bonds, Clemens and their ilk screwed themselves ... same for Rose ... never let them in. And yes, I know there probably some of questionable morals already in, but there is no mechanism to push them out ... guilty or no ...