• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penn St @ Nebraska 2012 Game Week Thread

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joseph is doing a good job back there.

NU's soft spot is up front against the rush and in getting pressure on the QB.

Well it's clear their philosophy against the more mobile guys is to keep contain and keep blockers occupied and hope that the QB just makes a bad decision throwing the ball or that our DL can recognize when the QB is about to take off and get off their blocks and pursue.

They often do that vs the pocket guys too though.

It's a shaky philosophy if you don't have the horses up front.

Maxwell was talking about it before the game and he finally explained what I could never put my finger on..

Why do we give up the QB scramble so much? It's because we play man almost exclusively so the entire back 7 has their eyes focused on their guy and not on the QB so by the time they see him he's already 7-10 yards down the field. In zone coverage you are seeing the qb and can diagnose, peel off, and pursue quickly.

It's the price you pay for playing lock down coverage all of the time.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look again.

NU has lost a lot of ground in the sacks and TFL categories over the last few games.

The coverage is there yes, the penetration is not.

We've lost some ground, yes.........but we're still 18th in the country in sacks.......

#1 in the Big 10.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm afraid of a letdown by Nebraska against PSU. We've had 5 tough games in a row. A college team can only get up emotionally about 3 games per season. Hopefully the turnovers can be minimized in this next game.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm afraid of a letdown by Nebraska against PSU. We've had 5 tough games in a row. A college team can only get up emotionally about 3 games per season. Hopefully the turnovers can be minimized in this next game.

Yep. A conservative approach would work fine.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if you can't get up for Penn St. I don't know why the hell you're playing college football.

This is the part where you have to know that this is the last truly tough test of conference play and that you need to finish the job.

You have to remind yourself what losing feels like.

This team has always been terrible at handling prosperity. They only like it when their backs are against the wall. If they want to get over the hump they need to practice what they preach about taking the same approach to every game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see it happening. In the past 5 weeks, we have faced Wisconsin, Ohio State, Northwestern, Michigan, and Michigan State.......

All 5 of those teams match up better against us than Penn State does.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Lincoln, with our Pass Defense.........I just see a game that we control from the get-go.

Unless McLovin grows some fast twitch muscles in his legs over night.......

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McGroin will throw a pair of picks and will have his worst day of the season.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I was so concerned against Michigan State was because they have a HUGE running back, and their Defense is stout as hell.

So my one concern was that Bell would run over our guys up front.......which he did......

And my other concern was that Taylor would turn the ball over......which he did......

I do not have these concerns against Penn State. I have no concerns at all in fact. There was reason for concern going into East Lansing, in my opinion.

Nate

Mid-Major Defender
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guarantee Nebraska will turn the ball over at least 3 times against Penn State. That much we should count on every game, the way we treat the football like it has AIDS.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But if you can't get up for Penn St. I don't know why the hell you're playing college football.

This is the part where you have to know that this is the last truly tough test of conference play and that you need to finish the job.

You have to remind yourself what losing feels like.

This team has always been terrible at handling prosperity. They only like it when their backs are against the wall. If they want to get over the hump they need to practice what they preach about taking the same approach to every game.

The players are excited to play PSU I'm sure, but look back to last season's Michigan St. game to see what happens when a team is EMOTIONALLY SPENT after playing 4 very tough games in a row before they played us. They were completely flat against us last year. Nebraska has just played five very tough games in a row. Sometimes players just get emotionally spent, there's nothing you can do about that. My only hope is that we have enough of a talent edge to make up for it.

Limiting turnovers against PSU is even more critical than ever.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players are excited to play PSU I'm sure, but look back to last season's Michigan St. game to see what happens when a team is EMOTIONALLY SPENT after playing 4 very tough games in a row before they played us. They were completely flat against us last year. Nebraska has just played five very tough games in a row. Sometimes players just get emotionally spent, there's nothing you can do about that. My only hope is that we have enough of a talent edge to make up for it.

Limiting turnovers against PSU is even more critical than ever.

I agree.

I think it has nothing to do with getting up for the game itself, it's getting up for every minute of every practice in the days leading up to the game and staying dedicated to your preperation.

That is the very core of what "the process" is supposed to be about. Doing all the little things consistently and preparing the same way every week. We'll find out very quickly whether this team FINALLY has the emotional maturity to practice what they preach.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't worry guys, i'll keep calling them all pussies when i see them. that seemed to work.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huskers will take an early 2 score lead and never look back......

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long range forecast says mostly sunny w/ Temps in the mid to upper 60's. :thumb:

However sometime later Saturday evening a cold front is supposed to move through bringing rain and cold.

Looks like a timing thing this far out. Hopefully the front isn't moving faster than the models anticipate.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huskers have turned the ball over 23 times this season and average 68 yds per game in penalties.