• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penguins offseason thread

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly I don't see much change in their roster. Too many unmovable contracts: Letang, Scuderi and Dupuis no one will want. Kunitz could be but I doubt they will ever get what they consider real value for him. I think Shero's days of coup type trades are over the further they get from winning the perceived value of the players gets lower and lower.

Also I wonder sometimes if Shero's drafts aren't as bad at producing NHL as shown? Meaning DB never played them in the NHL or never in the right role? So those on the "cusp" players never get the call so the players behind them never get a chance at the AHL level due to the "cusp" players filling that AHL roster?

I am wondering about forwards like Payerl, Uher, Kuhnhackl and Zlobin - heck he was in the ECHL and probably is their most dynamic foward.

Then behind them are the likes of:
Marcantuoni and Sundqvist might have some real talent.

I agree, Shero has drafted fine, it's Disco who has made the draft picks worthless by keeping them down in the minors so he could play a bunch of deadweights every game.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing Dan gone and Shero stays. Maybe some shakeup on the scouting side too.

Yeah I agree probably the whole coaching staff.

Also I clicked on Madden's twitter feed from that tweet and it stated they were in contact with the Redwings about Babcock. I try to ignore all media in Pittsburgh but I clicked it anyway but it makes you wonder if that rumor has any weight.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also I clicked on Madden's twitter feed from that tweet and it stated they were in contact with the Redwings about Babcock. I try to ignore all media in Pittsburgh but I clicked it anyway but it makes you wonder if that rumor has any weight.

I've seen that other places too, I think Yohe was talking about it recently, and a national guy too. I think it's a mutual interest type thing, not sure it's logistically possible though.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that series could have been easily won by the Pens and then there would be no questions asked dont let the media start a blow up of a team story, Blysma doesnt deserve it

we all know crosby isnt going anywhere

maybe its the fans

If we had defeated the Rangers in game 7 there would be questions asked for sure, like why did we blow games 5 & 6, why are we playing Adams & Glass instead of Bennett & Megna, or why do our dmen always get burned by speedy forwards yet our coach never does anything to compensate for it. Also, blowing several 3-1 leads in the Blue Jackets series raised many doubts. There's a reason most Penguin fans expected the Rangers to beat us going into this series. IMO we're not blowing up the team, the team already blew up after the Olympics, what we're doing is just salvaging the parts and getting rid of the dead weight, something which has become the trademark of the Bylsma system.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BTW, I'd probably keep the goalie coach, Marc had a good year.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, I'd probably keep the goalie coach, Marc had a good year.

MAF always has a good year tho, it's the playoffs where he starts giving up big goals at bad times.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't though this year.

I think he had a lot to prove this season. Only thing I credit the coaching for was him not taking as many chances as he used to.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he had a lot to prove this season. Only thing I credit the coaching for was him not taking as many chances as he used to.

Well sure, the whole team has a lot to prove. I wouldn't sign him to an extension. But he wasn't even in the top 20 of problems in the playoffs.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well sure, the whole team has a lot to prove. I wouldn't sign him to an extension. But he wasn't even in the top 20 of problems in the playoffs.

That's true, but we set the standard so low this season, everything that was a previous problem looked like a bright spot in comparison. My ideal situation is really to start all over without losing Sid & Geno. I honestly wouldn't mind if we just called up the whole WBS team next year if we could just get rid of our abysmal contracts (I would honestly trade Letang for a 7th rounder if we could). Maybe to the Oilers or someone who could use an offensive dman.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fleury didn't just post good numbers, he looked comfortable most of the time while doing it. I'd put him on the tier with Corey Crawford now that he has a good goalie coach, capable of winning if properly insulated.

We're not that far roster-wise from insulating him, either. Like has been mentioned, we just need to replace the dead weight with young legs.

I think we should try to bring back at least two of Sutter, Goc, and Jokinen for that insulation, as well. They're defensively responsible forwards, and in an ideal world (i.e. one in which we could affordably retain all of them), could make our shutdown line, which would also be capable of chipping in goals. Very much like the effective Cooke-Staal-Kennedy line. Bennett, Dupuis, Kunitz, and Neal are already under contract for the top 6 with Crosby and Malkin, And I don't think it would cost us too much to keep a fourth of Gibbons could pop up on the third line for whichever of the three we don't retain, Vitale and Megna and one of the AHL guys would be the fourth.

If we can move Letang and/or Scuderi, it would be huge. A cap floor team might take Scuderi off our hands, so that's worth trying. But I think trading both is the only way to keep the forwards together.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would you feel if the Pens had to retain $1 mil/yr of his salary in order to move him?

No thanks, not for 8 years.

I don't think they are trading him anyway, there is something to save. Letang was terrific when paired with Martin. A Maata-Letang pairing is the future top pair for the Pens, as Maata and Martin are very similar in their styles.

Plus the whole stroke thing.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thanks, not for 8 years.

I don't think they are trading him anyway, there is something to save. Letang was terrific when paired with Martin. A Maata-Letang pairing is the future top pair for the Pens, as Maata and Martin are very similar in their styles.

Plus the whole stroke thing.

Part of me hopes he suffers a career ending injury like Chris Pronger just so we could put him on LTIR, but that would be morally wrong.