• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Penguins GDT's/GNT's

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought we could have game threads here, that way we don't clutter the forum with game threads for every game.

First game will be 6:00pm EST October 9th against the Anaheim Ducks @ The CONSOL Energy Center.

Anaheim Ducks were 54-20-8 (116 points) last year, Pens were 51-24-7 (109 points).

Last season, the Pens were 2-0 against the Ducks.

All-time, the Pens are 14-8-2 with 2 ties against the Ducks.

Projected lineups:

Anaheim Ducks

Pittsburgh Penguins

Let's hope we could start the season off on a good note.

LET'S GO PENS!

:suds:

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
theScore

Good article talking about Pens defense with Bylsma, surprising results too.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
theScore

Good article talking about Pens defense with Bylsma, surprising results too.

That's surprising, felt like teams could do whatever they wanted on the rush against us. I think we generally controlled play last season, but we always gave up the breakouts at critical times.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's surprising, felt like teams could do whatever they wanted on the rush against us. I think we generally controlled play last season, but we always gave up the breakouts at critical times.

Well the article says that Scuderi was horrendous on the rush, so I'm sure that didn't help. But probably something to do with when the rush was successful, and they gained the zone, the Pens were so bad at playing defense in their own zone, it made everything feel worse than it actually was.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the article says that Scuderi was horrendous on the rush, so I'm sure that didn't help. But probably something to do with when the rush was successful, and they gained the zone, the Pens were so bad at playing defense in their own zone, it made everything feel worse than it actually was.

Yeah, I actually would have guessed the Pens were good at stopping controlled rushes, and that they were good at exiting the zone once they got possession of the puck (Scuderi and Orpik notwithstanding), just because that seemed to be how the team was built on the blue line, but they were awful at stopping things once the zone was gained with control. And Scuderi and Orpik were so bad at exiting the zone that it probably largely mitigated the benefits of the team's collective work right at the blue line.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woo hoo season starts today! Really don't know what to expect from the Pens this year but here goes...

:hope:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Chorney, Sill and Ebbett I hope, and we know it won't happen, that Chorney plays for Scuderi and either Sill or Ebbett play for Adams.

Looks like:
Crosby - Kunitz - Hornqvist - per reports Hornqvist is going to be on Crosby's wing.
Malkin - Dupuis - Sutter
Goc? - Spaling - Downie?
It would be great if it was Sill - Ebbett - Comeau but we all know Adams will play.

Letang - Ehroff
Maatta - Martin
Despres - Chorney but we know it will be Scuderi

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Chorney, Sill and Ebbett I hope, and we know it won't happen, that Chorney plays for Scuderi and either Sill or Ebbett play for Adams.

Looks like:
Crosby - Kunitz - Hornqvist - per reports Hornqvist is going to be on Crosby's wing.
Malkin - Dupuis - Sutter
Goc? - Spaling - Downie?
It would be great if it was Sill - Ebbett - Comeau but we all know Adams will play.

Letang - Ehroff
Maatta - Martin
Despres - Chorney but we know it will be Scuderi

That's certainly not what I would've expected. So we're basically a 2 line team :L

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I really don't like those line combos, Malkin never makes sense on the wing, especially with a non-distributor who is right handed like Sutter. But we'll see how it goes.

No Bennett takes a bite out of the depth for sure.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I really don't like those line combos, Malkin never makes sense on the wing, especially with a non-distributor who is right handed like Sutter. But we'll see how it goes.

No Bennett takes a bite out of the depth for sure.

I don't have a good feeling about those lines either, but we'll see how it goes, hopefully our top 2 lines could carry us. They'll pretty much have to.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a good feeling about those lines either, but we'll see how it goes, hopefully our top 2 lines could carry us. They'll pretty much have to.

I'm not worried about long term, assuming Bennett is healthy and Sutter is the third line center, everything looks fairly solid to me.

Ideally, our bottom six will shake out like this:

Downie - Sutter - Spalding
Comeau - Goc - Adams/Sill

I have a hard time arguing with that bottom six assuming Craig Adams doesn't play every damn night.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the lines don't make much sense.

They should just keep the centers alone: Crosby, Malkin, Sutter, Goc and fill in around.

Only having 1 true top 6 forward really hurts this team.
You can say Kunitz/Dupuis could be but Crosby made them and their contracts are keeping them there. In this stage they should be the 3rd line with Sutter.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about long term, assuming Bennett is healthy and Sutter is the third line center, everything looks fairly solid to me.

I have a hard time arguing with that bottom six assuming Craig Adams doesn't play every damn night.

I'm fine with that.

They should just keep the centers alone: Crosby, Malkin, Sutter, Goc and fill in around.

:agree:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That bottom six will be useful but I am too concerned Adams will play 60+ games this year.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only having 1 true top 6 forward really hurts this team.
You can say Kunitz/Dupuis could be but Crosby made them and their contracts are keeping them there. In this stage they should be the 3rd line with Sutter.

You don't think Hornqvist is a top 6?

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the fuck is Bennett ever healthy?

And why the fuck can't I find the game on NHL Center ice?!:bawling:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the fuck is Bennett ever healthy?

And why the fuck can't I find the game on NHL Center ice?!:bawling:

I prefer GameCenter to Center Ice. Been a Center Ice subscriber for a few years now, made the switch to GameCenter this year, and last night was fun.

:hockeysmile:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game time folks! Got my Penguin PJ's & Sid jersey on, got my pizza ordered, and I'll be keeping track of our Metro Division foes with the GameCenter app.

LET'S GO PENS!

:yahoo:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:mod: Hornqvist :mod:

:yahoo: 1-0 Pens :yahoo: