• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: G13 8-2-2 Kings vs Penguins 11/9/23

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be a packed house at Staples tonight, the Pens are a big draw and have a lot of fans in SoCal.

Malkin and Crosby are hot, Carter is not. As in he was healthy scratched for the first time in his career 2 games ago, didn't play against Anaheim and isn't expected to play tonight. Pretty crazy seeing his career, he was a great King and huge to that 2012 win - his acquisition slotted everyone where they needed to be on offense and defense and completed the Cup winning team.

Quick turnaround for LA, I'm expecting to see Copley in net. Home record has been OK, need to rack up the home points as much as possible. I don't expect any lineup changes, JAD and Bjornfot still on the roster as extras. Might be a good night to give them some playing time but the roster is winning so that's a tough call.

Prediction: Penguins 3-2 in a SO so at least LA gets a point.

Let's Go Kings!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings are on a heater. I was waiting to see how they did against Vegas to see what this team is about. They went and mopped up some struggling Eastern teams and I wasn't sure what to make of that yet.

Can't complain about too much lately. Just hoping to stay healthy, and seeing how the goaltending continues. Talbot is pretty old so it would be nice to get him some nights off. Saw something (maybe on these boards) about Rittich maybe coming in and being the #2 over Copley if Copley continues to struggle as bad as he has.

Bummed for Carter. Dude was a beast for the Kings. He was actually pretty quiet in 2012, but like you said, it slotted Kings where they needed to be. Elevated Penner and Richards too. But he picked it up with hat trick against Coyotes in Western Finals, and then some huge goals in the finals against New Jersey. OT Game 2 the biggest, but he had another one in Game 3 that blasted the roof of Staples. Then "That 70's Line" in 2014, especially against Chicago. His goal in Game 7 was also huge. You watch that replay, when he picks that puck out of the air to make it 2-1 early, it really was a huge goal. But he was LA's only scoring in post-2014 most nights. So many nights he'd be the only scorer. I have a few signed jerseys and Carter is one of them I went and made sure to get. Really good memories.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pacific has the top 3 goal differentials by the way. Vancouver with plus 30 already is really crazy. But, I guess, my counter is that Pacific also has some real struggling teams that are helping prop up those numbers.

1699555657910.png

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel bad for Carter, he was such a huge piece for LA. It's funny Philly thinks he's theirs, but I look at it like he's a King through and through. He's almost 39, the tread is gone. You can't fight father time. He was never the same after that Achilles slice early into the season.

Didn t want to see his career end this way but sadly it will.

Changed my mind 3-1 Kings.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can probably dig up a post of mine thinking that injury was gonna end him as a star. He has a great shot sure, but he had deceptively good wheels and those 2 things made his career. He made his own breakaways at times even.

He was the target of a totally funny incident when Perry squirted water in his glove with the ref right there....Carter looked at the ref like really?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was pretty funny, I remember that. I think it was the 2014 POs but nor sure. Carter was like WTF dude lol

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grundstrom with goal 5, Buster can't score worth a crap. I can't make this up even if I tried.

Dude got a garbage assist last night on Kopitar's 400th goal, he broke his stick and kicked it 3 feet to Kopitar who scored a 150 foot EN goal. But hey, he got his 7th assist in 4 games - guess that's all that matters.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another note, Englund. I knew he was going to make the team, posted it too. What I didn't think was he was going to he an every game player. He has literally made Bjornfot expendable.

He crushed that Penguin, has played well, not a liability on the 3D and has added some bite to the team. Well done sir.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fiala goal for and goal against
Copley 2 wrap around goals against
Kings out played them most of the game and got a point
Pens with 2 goals in OT moments apart

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Copley...yikes. Might be time to give Rittich a shot.

Copley not performing well means more starts for Talbot who already put a self imposed limit on games played this season to try and stay fresh through the season, McLellan will have no other choice but to run Talbot into the ground.

Copley is just not good even in a back up capacity.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Copely was done when he was replaced for the PO. A lot of goaltending is confidence, once you lose it your screwed. I know i was in the minority, but i run the guy that got you there, at least give him the 1st shot.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Korpisalo was better than Copley down the stretch, and Blake didn't spend a 1st to have him ride pine. I think deep down they knew Copley was serviceable but probably not going to win them a PO series. I know a lot of people wanted Copley to start but I saw the logic in it. He had very pedestrian numbers minus the W column, I'm reallt.not sure how that wasn't taken into account. After the Quick Petersen fiasco the Kings tightened down hard and a goalie just needed to not give up softies, which he really didn't. He just made the low percentage saves like he should.

His preseason was not good either if you recall in whatever limited games he got so he absolutely needed to have stellar showings.

What I saw last night, fundamentals missing (both wraparounds, the SH goal against - Guentzal's goal was on Kopitar a step behind his man which can be said very rarely), lack of confidence and mentally not sharp.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on why they went with Korpisalo, I still give Copely the shot..... If i'm g m I don't even go get Korpisalo for that price, It was a long shot The kings were going to get passed a few of those teams no matter what. While I think Korpisalo is a solid goalie, I don't think he is someone that is going to win u s series over a superior team.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on why they went with Korpisalo, I still give Copely the shot..... If i'm g m I don't even go get Korpisalo for that price, It was a long shot The kings were going to get passed a few of those teams no matter what. While I think Korpisalo is a solid goalie, I don't think he is someone that is going to win u s series over a superior team.

100%. I think the 1st was actually spent for Gavrikov, Korpisalo was the secondary player to make the numbers work. But LD was what he was targeting.

I don't think either of them would have won a series to be honest.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot gavrikov was that deal, cant argue about getting him

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turned out great for LA. I knew they would keep one but not both, glad the numbers worked out to keep Gavrikov. He's been solid as 2LD.