• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Penguins GDT/GNT's week 13 (Dec 29 - Jan 4)

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we got guys like Maatta, Pouliot, Harrington, & Dumoulin, we give long term roster spots to guys like Scuderi & Ehrhoff :L

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we got guys like Maatta, Pouliot, Harrington, & Dumoulin, we give long term roster spots to guys like Scuderi & Ehrhoff :L

Scuderi, while he has shown obvious signs of being past his prime, isn't quite as useless as he's made out to be. Pens have a top three penalty kill percentage. Scuds is a huge part of that. He will be valuable in that role come the post-season. What will be nice with the situation we are seeing right now with the contributions of these young players is Scuderi's 5v5 minutes can probably come down. Which is a good thing. Despres and Bortuzzo can probably pass him by this season with TOI, and Scuds is relegated to the special teams role, which he's paid too much for, but that is the gift that Shero gave them prior to his firing.

As far as Martin and Ehrhoff are concerned.. I won't be disappointed if one of the two are kept, and that is preferably Ehrhoff. He's younger and puck moving defensemen are harder to come by in the NHL. You can never have enough of them, because guys like Letang have proven to be less than durable. Ehrhoff can run the point of the PP, and he's valuable 5v5 by eating 21+ minutes a game.

Pens are in a good spot though with Pouliot, Despres, Bortuzzo, Maatta and Dumoulin. Their cap hits will be beneficial to Pittsburgh in the coming seasons, giving JR the space he needs to make some improvements to the top six.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scuderi, while he has shown obvious signs of being past his prime, isn't quite as useless as he's made out to be. Pens have a top three penalty kill percentage. Scuds is a huge part of that. He will be valuable in that role come the post-season. What will be nice with the situation we are seeing right now with the contributions of these young players is Scuderi's 5v5 minutes can probably come down. Which is a good thing. Despres and Bortuzzo can probably pass him by this season with TOI, and Scuds is relegated to the special teams role, which he's paid too much for, but that is the gift that Shero gave them prior to his firing.

As far as Martin and Ehrhoff are concerned.. I won't be disappointed if one of the two are kept, and that is preferably Ehrhoff. He's younger and puck moving defensemen are harder to come by in the NHL. You can never have enough of them, because guys like Letang have proven to be less than durable. Ehrhoff can run the point of the PP, and he's valuable 5v5 by eating 21+ minutes a game.

Pens are in a good spot though with Pouliot, Despres, Bortuzzo, Maatta and Dumoulin. Their cap hits will be beneficial to Pittsburgh in the coming seasons, giving JR the space he needs to make some improvements to the top six.

I agree about Scuderi, although the same could be said about Craig Adams as well, he's a big part of our PK as well.

I don't like Ehrhoff running the point to tell you the truth. He used to have a wicked shot, not anymore. All he does is go into the corner, turn over the puck. I actually think Pouliot has done a better job of running the point for us than Ehrhoff has this season.

I would like to see Letang, Maatta, Pouliot, & Harrington as mainstays on the blue line starting next season. Really no point in putting it off any longer IMO.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pens have traded Klinkhammer and a 2015 first-round pick to the Oilers for David Perron, who should slot into our top 6. He consistently notched 20 goals, he's in his prime, and I figure he'll work well with Malkin or Crosby. Basically, he's Dupuis's replacement, I suppose.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No point in tanking now I guess :L

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about Scuderi, although the same could be said about Craig Adams as well, he's a big part of our PK as well.

I don't like Ehrhoff running the point to tell you the truth. He used to have a wicked shot, not anymore. All he does is go into the corner, turn over the puck. I actually think Pouliot has done a better job of running the point for us than Ehrhoff has this season.

I would like to see Letang, Maatta, Pouliot, & Harrington as mainstays on the blue line starting next season. Really no point in putting it off any longer IMO.

He definitely still has that shot. When it gets through (and he's pretty good at making sure it does), it causes a bit of trouble for the goalie. Unfortunately, that trouble is mitigated without Comeau and Hornqvist in the lineup.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice deal to get another top 6 forward which is sorely needed. I have a feeling (very sadly) since Perron has an additional year left on his contract Dupuis might actually be done.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He definitely still has that shot. When it gets through (and he's pretty good at making sure it does), it causes a bit of trouble for the goalie. Unfortunately, that trouble is mitigated without Comeau and Hornqvist in the lineup.

This is what his shot used to be like…

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acgb-xYCpXQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acgb-xYCpXQ[/ame]

I don't think he's anything like that anymore.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what his shot used to be like…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acgb-xYCpXQ

I don't think he's anything like that anymore.

He did this to Mr. Anderson last month :)

ehrhoff12.6.14web.gif

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it is a gamble but if the 1st round pick is late, I would rather have Perron.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it is a gamble but if the 1st round pick is late, I would rather have Perron.

I agree, it is a gamble. One worth taking, though. When everyone is healthy, if we can even imagine that scenario, the top six now looks very legit. Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist | Perron-Malkin-Bennett

I'll take that:yahoo:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that will be a good top 6. I forgot about Klinkhammer going back but honestly I would still rather have Perron.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, seems like a solid deal. Sucks they have to keep giving up first round picks, but this team is built to win now. And Perron will be here for next year as well.

He's a right handed shot, that plays left wing. Will be interesting to see how the top 9 works out when everyone is healthy they have an abundance of LWs now.

Comeau's thrived on Geno's right win, so when he's back, I imagine that's where he'll go. Spaling will probably slide down to the third line. I'm guessing something like:

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Perron-Malkin-Comeau
Spaling-Sutter-Bennett
Rust/Sill/Adams/Farnham-Goc-Downie

Perron and Kunitz could flip-flop depending on how the chemistry shakes out. I could also see one of them going to Sutter's line with Spaling popping up to spread out the scoring some more. Either way, that's three lines who could be counted on to score, and four who could be very tough to play against.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Perron, but I wouldn't have given up a 2015 1st round pick for him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Perron, but I wouldn't have given up a 2015 1st round pick for him.

I don't think you get perennial 20 goal scorers with an extra year at reasonable dollars for less than that very often, especially when you have no leverage like the Penguins' case, what with their huge immediate need for a top-six guy.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you get perennial 20 goal scorers with an extra year at reasonable dollars for less than that very often, especially when you have no leverage like the Penguins' case, what with their huge immediate need for a top-six guy.

Gonna be sucky watching this year's draft, will be like 2013 all over again :L

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was wide open in the circle. He doesn't have that shot from the point like he used to.

He's not scoring on it, but his shot probably has the best pace of any of our blue liners. I think he's shooting low a lot, though, since we have some many guys who are good around the net when healthy. Hornqvist, Kunitz, Comeau, and Crosby all do their best work on the doorstep. That's a good motivation to shoot to the pads for a defenseman.