• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Panic About to Set In........Unionize College Athletes???

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine it's 4th and 1 near the goal line and they decide this is the right time to walk off the job.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Imagining will be the only way you'll see that.

Believe it or not, it's only a minority of players who are unhappy and most of them actually appreciate what the schools and everyone does for them.

Those people don't equal clicks.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine it's 4th and 1 near the goal line and they decide this is the right time to walk off the job.
Kick all 11 off the team, off scholarship, send a GA to pack up their shit in the dorm room and change the locks. Hope it was worth it because no FBS team will take a chance on a cancer in the locker room that they know will throw a game.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds like the Gators are playing.

The coaches might last a little longer. They could blame everything on the union.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My comment on 4th and 1 was meant to be a joke. We don't need any unions in college football.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the real loss. Madden doesn't come close to NCAA. Although I'm sure EA would have turned that into a scummy loot box game too.
Why do you hate America so bad?

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree completely.

I think you guys are nuts.

If you could map DIRECTLY billions of dollars being made off your on field performance.......if YOU are completely the product being sold........YOU WOULD WANT YOUR CUT OF THE PROFITS AS WELL.

If you don't, you're a fool. You're exactly the sucker they want.

Scholarships, benefits don't mean shit. If you are making billions off my effort, I want my piece of the pie.

Many colleges do make big bucks off of the use of the athletes involved in major sports, but they also pay out big bucks in facilities maintenance, uniforms & equipment, travel costs, insurance, and more. Where it has gotten out of hand the most is the huge salaries that many coaches at Power-5 schools now command.

The main thing that needs to be addressed is a player's ability to profit from the use of his likeness. For every game-style jersey sold with a player's name & number on it, he or she should get a royalty from it. Same thing if someone makes collector's cards with a player's picture on it, or if a new version of NCAA football or basketball is released as a video game that is obviously based on a particular player's traits. That's the right thing to do. Giving them a salary is not.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take it that head in your ass comment hit home.

I bet an Alabama player could help you remove it.

Naw. It's so far up there, it would take a team of Budweiser Clydesdales to pull it out.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just pay them. Everyone, across the board. The NCAA could give up 10% of their profits to pay for it.
And make it a uniform dollar amount.
Make it so that the amount you are paid depends on what year you are in in your college career.
Higher levels get more because they create more revenue.

Problem solved.
NOT.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'm late to the discussion, but I thought this was shown to be a stupid idea when the Northwestern players realized that if they continued down the path of unionization, they would end up having to pay taxes on the values of their scholarships.

I do agree that the schoolls should take care of players health issues (including latent CTE), but the reality is that that proving people (most of whom never had even the slimmest of chances of playing their game professionally) a chance to come out with a college degree and no debt attached - is pretty damned valuable.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main thing that needs to be addressed is a player's ability to profit from the use of his likeness. For every game-style jersey sold with a player's name & number on it, he or she should get a royalty from it. Same thing if someone makes collector's cards with a player's picture on it, or if a new version of NCAA football or basketball is released as a video game that is obviously based on a particular player's traits. That's the right thing to do. Giving them a salary is not.

Imo, this is the only way we will see college athletes get paid. To try and pay all of them would likely result in most schools having to get rid of several non-revenue producing sports because paying everyone doesn't mean just those in the revenue producing sports.

With this type of arrangement, athletes in other sports can be told, "when folks start buying your jersey, you can collect on that too."

The only question would be, what about a school like USC that doesn't put players names on the uniform? Do those players who wear that number still get to collect? What if more than 1 player wears that number?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it's worth - Jersey sale profits are almost nothing. I remember this from a few years ago:

Manziel jerseys hardly making A&M rich

What if I told you Texas A&M made just $59,690 on jersey sales for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2013?

This was while Manziel was very popular and they sold out of his jersey constantly. And those numbers aren't even just Manziels. In fact, they aren't even just football, it's every jersey sale.

It's not even enough money to cover the cost of a scholarship, but if you ask most people - they'll tell you A&M made millions off Manziel alone - which is wrong.

Hell, it's actually not even enough to cover the new stipends they all got which is an extra $5000 a year.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and for those who think it's the players that make the money rather than the schools themselves.

In that same article - while those jersey profits are low, what isn't low is just general school t-shirt sales. They made $750,000 of regular ole Texas A&M and even SEC shirts.