• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Packers hold off on Brett Favre jersey retirement ceremony

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,618.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers president Mark Murphy thinks the relationship between the organization and former quarterback Brett Favre remains strong, but there are no plans to retire Favre's No. 4 jersey this coming season.

"I don't anticipate having him retire a number this season, in a game this year," Murphy said. "We have very good relations and very good communication, but I don't anticipate that this year."

However, Murphy would not rule out the possibility that Favre could return for a game this season.

The two sides had discussed a possible return last season, but ESPNWisconsin.com reported recently that Favre pulled out in part because he was afraid of the reaction he might receive from the Lambeau Field crowd.

"That is an issue," Murphy said. "He doesn't want it, and neither do we. He wouldn't want to come back and get booed. You can't control 80,750 people. I really think as time goes on, every year that passes, it's less likely that he would get booed, but that is an issue."

Favre told SiriusXM NFL Radio in June that he wouldn't trade his Packers experience for anything.

"It's going to happen, I'll be back up there," Favre told the station about a return to Green Bay. "Again, my career in Green Bay, I wouldn't trade it for anything. It was awesome. The people were awesome, and I just think everything's going to be fine, and in my opinion, it is now. It's just a matter of getting back up there."

Source: ESPN

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packer fans are stupid if they boo Favre. The man was not ready to hang it up when they were ready to move on to Rodgers. It's as simple as that. Being that Favre took the Vikes to the NFCCG 2 years after leaving GB, that is proof that he still had something left in the tank. He is going to go into the HOF as a Packer. What more do the Pack fans want?

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what do I want? nothing. I hated the way it all ended. I think both sides had issues. I think Favre handled a lot of stuff badly. I also know it was all in the past, none of it was personal and I really think he loved playing here all those years.

People need to get over it. He was one of the greatest to ever play the game and we were lucky enough he did it for a lot of years wearing our favorite colors. He should have been boo'd when he returned to Lambeau as a player for the vikings and now that he's retired he should be cheered for being the great player for the Packers he was. Just get on with it already.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would never boo Favre. Sure he left on bad terms but that's what happens when you retire an un-retire multiple times. He still was the face of the franchise for so many years and had the heart and determination of a lion (not Detroit). One of the greatest if not the greatest player to date for one of the NfLs most prestigious franchises. When you think Brett Favre you think Green Bay Legend. Simple as that.

coulomb

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packer fans are stupid if they boo Favre. The man was not ready to hang it up when they were ready to move on to Rodgers. It's as simple as that. Being that Favre took the Vikes to the NFCCG 2 years after leaving GB, that is proof that he still had something left in the tank. He is going to go into the HOF as a Packer. What more do the Pack fans want?

Uhh, did you miss his crying press conference? Exactly how would you interpret: "I have nothing left to give".To me that doesn't mean: "Ok green bay, hold everything, I am retiring but I'm gonna change my mind in 2 months" Gimmie a break. Stop telling people how they should feel.

ok, trolling aside, Yeah I would have booed him as a queen coming back to GB, but its water under the bridge now. I thoroughly enjoyed watching him play in GB for 17 years, and that is what I remember. Make it happen Murphy

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhh, did you miss his crying press conference? Exactly how would you interpret: "I have nothing left to give".To me that doesn't mean: "Ok green bay, hold everything, I am retiring but I'm gonna change my mind in 2 months" Gimmie a break. Stop telling people how they should feel.

ok, trolling aside, Yeah I would have booed him as a queen coming back to GB, but its water under the bridge now. I thoroughly enjoyed watching him play in GB for 17 years, and that is what I remember. Make it happen Murphy

You've never made a decision and then regretted it?

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved watching Favre's entire career... even when he was a "hated" Packer. He played with a youthful exuberance that has rarely been seen in the past 20+ years. He played hard. He played to win. Most of all he played to have fun. He understood it was just a game even as the game became more corporate.

It's unfortunate they way his career ended. If anyone deserved to have their career end on his own terms, it was him - and it should have been as a Packer. Unfortunately, the corporate machine put the writing on the wall (maybe prematurely) and he saw it; even though he wasn't ready. I certainly don't blame Favre, and really can't blame the Packers either. It was uncomfortable and the media exploited it.

As a FOOTBALL fan, thank you Brett Favre.

SKOL!

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've never made a decision and then regretted it?

I'm sure everyone has. But to make that decision and then come back and say "Uhhh...yeah just kidding guys. Keep that other kid...what's his name...Adam? Andy? Yeah...keep him on the bench I'm coming back..." was pretty lame.

I never booed Favre, never will. I cheered against him when he was a Viking...but never booed him. It's been what...6 years now? Clearly, the Packers made the right choice. Enough time has passed for everyone to get over it.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he'd be booed if he came back. I believe Packer's fans have more class than that, at least I'd like to believe that.

I honestly think he'd be cheered, he gave the fans a whole lot of good memories after the suck that was the 70's and 80's...

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would cheer for Favre and understand what he did for the Packers but will always think that Rodgers is a better quarterback and at the time was glad to see Favre leave. I know you might not believe it but I would have traded him a season or two earlier, that's how much I believed in Rodgers.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,618.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if your a Packer fan and Boo Favre you must have something wrong with you. thats like when the yankees bring back Derek Jeter for old timers day booing him. those 2 guys have done soo much for there respective clubs. I dont see how u could boo them

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated the guy with a passion, he was a self absorbed camera whore who put himself above everyone including the team he played for. I like football not drama. Sure he had 2 or 3 good seasons, but he ruined more then that. I did not hate him as a rival QB, in fact I loved playing against him, 2 free picks per game. The way he carried himself and the way he treated his family was low and the way he sought out attention was sad.

coulomb

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated the guy with a passion, he was a self absorbed camera whore who put himself above everyone including the team he played for. I like football not drama. Sure he had 2 or 3 good seasons, but he ruined more then that. I did not hate him as a rival QB, in fact I loved playing against him, 2 free picks per game. The way he carried himself and the way he treated his family was low and the way he sought out attention was sad.

You liked playing against him? The packers had a 70% winning percentage vs chicago during his tenure. You like losing?

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did you not just describe the guy playing QB for Chicago these days?

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if your a Packer fan and Boo Favre you must have something wrong with you. thats like when the yankees bring back Derek Jeter for old timers day booing him. those 2 guys have done soo much for there respective clubs. I dont see how u could boo them

Six, five and four years ago, did Derek Jeter hold the Yankees management hostage with his indecision about whether to retire or not?

Three years ago, did Jeter hold a teary-eyed press conference announcing his retirement, only to change his mind a few weeks later after the team had filled the infield with a red-hot prospect they've been excited to get on the field? Did Jeter force the Yankees to trade him to the Padres?

After Jeter's year with the Padres, did he retire again, change his mind again, and sign and play with the Red Sox for the last two years?

Had Favre actually retired the day he held that press conference, he would've been the Packers hero Jeter is to the Yankees. His number would've been retired that following season and Lambeau Field would've erupted with the loudest cheers ever heard in Green Bay when he trotted onto the field that day.

There will be mostly loud cheers for Favre when he does return, but there will also be some Packer fans who simply can't get over the fact that he wore purple those last two years and it won't matter how long we wait for the ceremony.

If I was Murphy and Favre, I'd set up game day visits to Lambeau a couple times this year to gauge fan reaction. I'd make a few positive public appearances/signings and even do an endorsement commercial or two to show fans that Favre loves Wisconsin again. Those positive publicity moves would warm the icy hearts of the fans still holding a grudge. The way it is now, Packer fans know Favre has isolated himself in Mississippi and has had no desire to visit Wisconsin. If he comes back cold, he will get a colder-than-desired reception.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears were always kind of considered Favre's Bitch. I can't imagine the fans actually liked playing against him considering they almost always lost for going on 2 decades.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You liked playing against him? The packers had a 70% winning percentage vs chicago during his tenure. You like losing?
True but burt was the only thing that gave us a chance at all. You had a much better team then us.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,618.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Six, five and four years ago, did Derek Jeter hold the Yankees management hostage with his indecision about whether to retire or not?

Three years ago, did Jeter hold a teary-eyed press conference announcing his retirement, only to change his mind a few weeks later after the team had filled the infield with a red-hot prospect they've been excited to get on the field? Did Jeter force the Yankees to trade him to the Padres?

After Jeter's year with the Padres, did he retire again, change his mind again, and sign and play with the Red Sox for the last two years?

Had Favre actually retired the day he held that press conference, he would've been the Packers hero Jeter is to the Yankees. His number would've been retired that following season and Lambeau Field would've erupted with the loudest cheers ever heard in Green Bay when he trotted onto the field that day.

There will be mostly loud cheers for Favre when he does return, but there will also be some Packer fans who simply can't get over the fact that he wore purple those last two years and it won't matter how long we wait for the ceremony.

If I was Murphy and Favre, I'd set up game day visits to Lambeau a couple times this year to gauge fan reaction. I'd make a few positive public appearances/signings and even do an endorsement commercial or two to show fans that Favre loves Wisconsin again. Those positive publicity moves would warm the icy hearts of the fans still holding a grudge. The way it is now, Packer fans know Favre has isolated himself in Mississippi and has had no desire to visit Wisconsin. If he comes back cold, he will get a colder-than-desired reception.
but even with all of that I dont know how Packer fan can bad mouth. this guy has brought soo much to your franchise

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you not just describe the guy playing QB for Chicago these days?
Who?? Cutler is camera shy and puts the team first. Never once seen him try to get attention for himself. Never once seen Cutty misbehave in any way. Never once. Burt was partying with high school girls and popping pills 24/7.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears were always kind of considered Favre's Bitch. I can't imagine the fans actually liked playing against him considering they almost always lost for going on 2 decades.
Again true, but that was because you had the better team. Burt is the only thing that kept us in many of those games.