• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the fan is a drunk and running their mouth then to me he get's what he deserves, but if he's just wandering a field and a player walks up and clocks his ass then there is a problem...

I know what you meant and I think that is the sentiment of everyone. I just don't want that to get taken away like so many other things do because of an isolated incident.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what you meant and I think that is the sentiment of everyone. I just don't want that to get taken away like so many other things do because of an isolated incident.
But rushing the field already was taken away a while ago. Where you been? That's why the conf fines teams that have that happen at their home field and it's a progressive fine. There have already been incidences and in the name of safety it was outlawed.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been at many many great football games. Lots of upsets. Never rushed a field. Stayed and watched others do so, but wouldn't ever do it myself. It's not acceptable to do so. The stands were built for people to cheer and celebrate in. There is no place for fans on the field.

I rushed the field once but not on purpose.lol. I went to the 2005 Bush push game against Notre Dame and there was about 15 of us and we spent the week trying to scrounge tickets in Chicago. The morning of the game we had one for everyone except three. About an hour before the game we found a pair where some one missed their flight and then I found some nerdy Notre dame student walking to the stadium and I got to a number he couldn't refuse (I think it was $200) and he handed over his paper ticket. I borrowed a jacket and hid my USC hat and got in with the other students. When Notre Dame thought they won the whole student section rushed the field. I was in the middle and had to go with them or get trampled. lol. Once everyone realized there were 5 seconds left they made everyone go back in the stands. Crazy game.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It helps if the fans know what they're doing when they rush the field.

Funniest "rushing the field" that I've ever seen was the one time I saw USC fans do it. I forget which game, but they rushed the field and then looked like "What the hell are we supposed to do now?"

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah it's rare to see it player/fan interaction anymore on a field.
Coaching staffs do a good job of getting there players out of there as soon as the game is over....

Personally I speak from living this scene, as a long ago former (small school) player I clocked a fan, he was drunk and my emotions were not at the time held in check...

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last two coaching gigs. The eagles and 49ers under Chip. That went well.
yeah but we all know pro and college are 2 different animals.
its like saying your horse didnt do well in the dog show

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah but we all know pro and college are 2 different animals.
its like saying your horse didnt do well in the dog show
So he's so so on horses and was terrible with dogs. Color me still not impressed. What's next" Apples and Oranges? Good thing USC has Clancy. Good at both.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he'll repeat what he did at Oregon at UCLA. He was only at Oregon 4 years as HC and by his 4th year, teams were starting to figure out his system.

Now, everyone runs at least some aspect of his system, so it's not as difficult to prepare for as it used to be.

I think he'll definitely make you guys better and I think he'll get you some of the kids that USC doesn't sign rather than seeing them head north or to the Arizona schools. I think the rivalry will get back to where it was in the Donahue years...which would be great, imo.
how do you figure that teams were figuring out his system? in year four they were 12-1 the loss was 17-14 in OT
and finished #2 in the country. doesnt seem like anyone was figuring it out

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he's so so on horses and was terrible with dogs. Color me still not impressed. What's next" Apples and Oranges? Good thing USC has Clancy. Good at both.
not sure which is dogs and which is horses in this

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure which is dogs and which is horses in this

Well your new D coach has experience in college and most recently a D line coach at Oregon who wan't known for their defense ,hence my "so so". The Eagles and 49ers gig was a total disaster for Chip and crew so I gvae that to the dogs. lol.
Erasing what happened in the NFL Oregon basically gave the D coordinator job to Chips D line coach. I'm just saying it wasn't Oregons defense people worried about.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how do you figure that teams were figuring out his system? in year four they were 12-1 the loss was 17-14 in OT

Because they were starting to do a better job against it and because when they played teams with time to prepare, they struggled and/or lost.

They still had success because they were still the only ones running it, bit there were starting to be signs that folks were figuring it out. It also showed when they continued the same system under Helfrich. Helfrich wasn't Kelly, but he wasn't a bad coach either.

Now, pretty much everyone is running some aspect of it and are much more prepared for it.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, it was still Kelly's offense after he left. The margins of victory were declining even before he left as teams were adapting.

Don't confuse Kelly's offense and teams being able to handle it, with having Mariota at the end of that run as a once in a generation type QB for a school. I mean you give Kelly that type of QB now at UCLA and they likely dust up the south and make things interesting.

The HUNH is both everywhere, and seemingly somewhat spreading less or not being used full time as much. You can get away with it if you are stacked with athletes, but the limited playbook and inability to adjust as much take away things from your potential as well and it puts a serious strain on your defense.

Kelly is not going to step on campus and dominate the Pac at UCLA. Their rise at Oregon took a number of years to get the depth and style of players up and down that roster that made it work. I don't see Kelly as the kind that can step in with other peoples players and adapt to what those players do best in the short term to find success. He's a solid coach and people should watch out for what he might do down there, but it's far from a slam dunk that he can find anything close to the success he had at Oregon. It's a different time now. USC isn't on sanctions anymore. UW is no longer in their historical low. And now all these coaching changes up and down the conference. Cal might keep improving after their pretty strong jump this year. Arizona has a hell of a QB now that should make things scary down there for the next couple of years.

The ducks threw buckets of money at the thing and had the perfect storm to rise up in. Everyone else caught up in money to some degree and sleeping giants are again fully awake.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA now and where Oregon was when Kelly took over are 2 different things and why I dont see Chip having year 1 success that he did at Oregon.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, it was still Kelly's offense after he left. The margins of victory were declining even before he left as teams were adapting.

Don't confuse Kelly's offense and teams being able to handle it, with having Mariota at the end of that run as a once in a generation type QB for a school. I mean you give Kelly that type of QB now at UCLA and they likely dust up the south and make things interesting.

The HUNH is both everywhere, and seemingly somewhat spreading less or not being used full time as much. You can get away with it if you are stacked with athletes, but the limited playbook and inability to adjust as much take away things from your potential as well and it puts a serious strain on your defense.

Kelly is not going to step on campus and dominate the Pac at UCLA. Their rise at Oregon took a number of years to get the depth and style of players up and down that roster that made it work. I don't see Kelly as the kind that can step in with other peoples players and adapt to what those players do best in the short term to find success. He's a solid coach and people should watch out for what he might do down there, but it's far from a slam dunk that he can find anything close to the success he had at Oregon. It's a different time now. USC isn't on sanctions anymore. UW is no longer in their historical low. And now all these coaching changes up and down the conference. Cal might keep improving after their pretty strong jump this year. Arizona has a hell of a QB now that should make things scary down there for the next couple of years.

The ducks threw buckets of money at the thing and had the perfect storm to rise up in. Everyone else caught up in money to some degree and sleeping giants are again fully awake.

what strong jump did cal have? 5-7 last year and this year. Offense went from 20th in 2016 to 84th this year. defense only went from 125 to 93. pretty strong jump?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA now and where Oregon was when Kelly took over are 2 different things and why I dont see Chip having year 1 success that he did at Oregon.
Chip was promoted from within at Oregon so no shit it won't be the same. :laugh:

I mean they were already fully running his offense before he was named HC. It was already kids he was high on.

I think most of us are saying he's not going to find the same path back to where he was given that his offense isn't new or unique anymore and the sleeping giants of the conference are back.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's another good point. A lot of people (mostly outside the PAC) think that Oregon just suddenly appeared out of nowhere when Chip took over.

What PAC fans know is that Oregon had been building that program since about 1997. Some folks forget that they had their first top 10 finish (#2) in 2001.

They had about 3 mediocre years after that before getting back on track, but were also overshadowed by Pete Carroll's USC teams until about 2009.

At UCLA, he's taking over a program that has been struggling.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith announcing his staff.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But rushing the field already was taken away a while ago. Where you been? That's why the conf fines teams that have that happen at their home field and it's a progressive fine. There have already been incidences and in the name of safety it was outlawed.

Ya, they fine the schools and announce please don't rush the field. But haven't done anything real yet. They already took beer tops off of beers because jackasses, there is no need for another overreaction to something insignificant like some drunken student getting what he deserved.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, they fine the schools and announce please don't rush the field. But haven't done anything real yet. They already took beer tops off of beers because jackasses, there is no need for another overreaction to something insignificant like some drunken student getting what he deserved.
I think you are confused here. The rule is rushing the field is not allowed. The implementation of preventing it is left entirely up to the schools to enforce. It's up to WSU to have enough security and/or barriers in place to prevent it. The only thing they might do as a reaction would be to raise the amount of the fine? :noidea:

Since it is an escalating fine having it happen once a year isn't really a big thing. At some point it starts to become more costly than paying for extra security or other measures would cost.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some good news for schedule next year.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — No Pac-12 football team that plays a Saturday road game will be required to play away from home again the following Friday in a revamped 2018 schedule.

Commissioner Larry Scott said Thursday that the Pac-12 Conference has discussed scheduling changes with its member universities to find a better solution for next season given concerns and scrutiny over the challenges of 2017.

“We’re going to have an improved schedule next year,” Scott said in a phone interview Thursday.