• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

P12 Coaching Carousel

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cal Coach Cuonzo Martin bolts from Cal to Mizzou, and UW drops Romar.

I thought both of these vacancies were a foregone conclusion after next year, but they seem a little premature as of now. UW has another potential top pick coming in (Porter Jr.) with his pops on the coaching staff. This move by UW seems a little rushed. I believe that you should only run someone out if you are clear with who you are bringing in. I hope UW has a plan, because they might be at some crossroads of returning back to oblivion where they were before Romar. I thought they should have taken the year to put something together for a strong offer elsewhere. Maybe they already have. I wonder who comes in. Porter Jr signed his LOI, and I don't think that changes with the firing, right? After a signed LOI if a player leaves he has to sit a year, unless the coach initiates leaving and can then take players, but not if fired, right?

I still think that Seattle is a legit recruiting area and the fans want good basketball in Seattle. Had they waited a year, they could have landed someone strong to compete in the Pac and re-establish control over PNW recruiting, and a powerful rivalry with Oregon. I really think/thought that UW could have put themselves in a position to really be a mainstay in the top 25. Now, I have no idea what to think.

Martin leaving is also interesting. I don't think Mizzou is in any better shape at all than Cal, and he's leaving a solid recruiting area. I don't know if he knows if Bird and Rabb are going to declare and just didn't feel good about his future in Berkeley, but I don't see the move the Missouri as making much sense at all. It seemed like Rabb was comfortable there. He passed the draft up last year and the Bay is home for him so I didn't see him in a huge rush. Now, it doesn't seem like there's much reason to stay. I wasn't a big fan of Martin, but at least he was in the top half of the Pac. I know that he's from StL, but Mizzou is a step down from Cal, imo.

The coaches at two of the five best recruiting centers on the west coast just vacated positions. Should be interesting to see what happens, how soon, and how it works out.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit! Paul Biancardi is reporting that Martin just hired Porter Sr. as an assistant at Mizzou, and Porter Jr. didn't sign his NLI at UW.

WOW, is Jr. headed to Missouri???? He's originally from Springfield, MO, so I'm guessing so.

Last edited:

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit! Paul Biancardi is reporting that Martin just hired Porter Sr. as an assistant at Mizzou, and Porter Jr. didn't sign his NLI at UW.

WOW, is Jr. headed to Missouri???? He's originally from Springfield, MO, so I'm guessing so.

I'd bet a lot of money that Porter Jr will leave to Missiouri. His brother, also a top recruit, will be right behind him.

Sucks to lose these top tier players but Romar has had similar players and has done nothing with them. They won 2 fuckin Pac-12 games this year and have the top player in the upcoming draft

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd bet a lot of money that Porter Jr will leave to Missiouri. His brother, also a top recruit, will be right behind him.

Sucks to lose these top tier players but Romar has had similar players and has done nothing with them. They won 2 fuckin Pac-12 games this year and have the top player in the upcoming draft

I hear ya. And they had two studs last year and only made the NIT. I get it. But he still has a top 5 class coming in and a top pick with that. Ride it for another year until the wheels fall off with Romar and plan over the next year.

I don't see how UW does better by canning Romar and losing Porter Jr. (and maybe/probably more). If they don't have a plan for who they're bringing in, then add--taking a chance on whomever replaces him--in addition to losing Romar and Porter Jr.

What a shit show.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya. And they had two studs last year and only made the NIT. I get it. But he still has a top 5 class coming in and a top pick with that. Ride it for another year until the wheels fall off with Romar and plan over the next year.

I don't see how UW does better by canning Romar and losing Porter Jr. (and maybe/probably more). If they don't have a plan for who they're bringing in, then add--taking a chance on whomever replaces him--in addition to losing Romar and Porter Jr.

What a shit show.

I agree and was shocked they wouldn't hang on to him for at least the ticket sales for next year with the class that 'was' coming in. Unless the AD has somebody coming in like Gregg Marshall, which would not happen, I don't understand the move right now.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree and was shocked they wouldn't hang on to him for at least the ticket sales for next year with the class that 'was' coming in. Unless the AD has somebody coming in like Gregg Marshall, which would not happen, I don't understand the move right now.

Who knows. I hope the best for UW and Cal. With all the connections and moves made, this seems like a fucking conspiracy by Martin and maybe Porter Sr.(Jr.?).

The same day Martin bounces, Romar gets fired, and then Porter Sr. gets hired by Martin. And Porter Jr. is also from MO?

WTF?

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone have an idea on who UW is looking at to replace Romar?

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone have an idea on who UW is looking at to replace Romar?

I think UW's statement said that the search begins immediately, which makes me think that they don't have anyone waiting in the wings.

As crazy as it sounds (seems like par for the course with this though), some are suggesting that Brandon Roy is a fan favorite. I don't see it, but who knows. I have to believe they can go out and get a solid young coach. There are a few out there that I think would jump. I don't know if Marshall leaves but he might. I don't think Archie Miller goes to the Pac. I think Enfield is a stretch, but not crazy.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez, I hope not. The dude is coaching high school right now
Sure, but he just won a state title (is this year 1?) and I think his team is ranked #1 nationally. He's a UW grad and he himself is a brand name to entice recruits. Might be worth a shot, but at the same time I'm sure Washington isn't looking to take a risk and will go for a big named coach.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez, I hope not. The dude is coaching high school right now

Sure, but he just won a state title (is this year 1?) and I think his team is ranked #1 nationally. He's a UW grad and he himself is a brand name to entice recruits. Might be worth a shot, but at the same time I'm sure Washington isn't looking to take a risk and will go for a big named coach.

As crazy as that sounds, AZ gave Central Arkansas' current coach (Russ Pennell) his first NCAA DI head coaching job the year before Miller showed up. I don't think Roy is going to get the job, but he does deserve to work his way into college.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was handed a loaded team. I could've coached that team to a state title.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was handed a loaded team. I could've coached that team to a state title.

No doubt. What do you think about Crean? I wonder if UW will go after someone cheaper.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine Archie's going to be pursued by some teams. I wonder if he would entertain coaching in the Pac12.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gregg Marshalls wife is from Washington I believe. Not saying he'll wind up there, but it may not be as far fetched as some might think.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt. What do you think about Crean? I wonder if UW will go after someone cheaper.

I certainly hope they don't go cheap, a bigger name like Archie Miller or Gregg Marshall might keep some of the class they got coming in.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine Archie's going to be pursued by some teams. I wonder if he would entertain coaching in the Pac12.

I'd rather see Archie go to Ill, and IU might be a stretch. I just don't think he should come to the Pac. Plenty of other places to go where he and Sean don't have to worry about each other unless it's March.

Gregg Marshalls wife is from Washington I believe. Not saying he'll wind up there, but it may not be as far fetched as some might think.

I think it'd be a great place for him, and happy-wife-happy-life for sure. If he's considered for both Ill and IU, any of them would be a good choice for him. It's just crazy because he's pulling in over 3m right now and just extended a couple years ago. He's definitely talked about keeping his head out of the sand if something comes along, but he's also turned down some decent jobs.

I certainly hope they don't go cheap, a bigger name like Archie Miller or Gregg Marshall might keep some of the class they got coming in.

I just mean cheap as in an up-and-coming coach, not currently being paid much. If UW goes after some big names, they will have to pay out in addition to whatever they already owe Romar. The difference between McDermott (for instance) and Marshall is about 2m. UW could hire a coach like McDermott and pay out Romar for about what Marshall makes right now.

The fact that the recruiting bases of Indiana, Chicago, the Bay Area, and Seattle are all open right now are all some pretty interesting opportunities.

I've seen that Alford is being considered for IU. Other than the money, anyone really think he'd go for it? Absolutely nothing against IU, but UCLA is nothing to shake a stick at, and he seems to be settling in at Westwood. Seems like he has decent control on the SoCal area and the Ball bros (for whatever they're worth).

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mistake by UW in my opinion. Michael Porter Sr. and Jr. most likely heading to Missouri to join Cuonzo. I would have kept Romar for another season just to see what Porter could do.