• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Overrated/Underrated Coaches

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting article on Shutdown Corner on a few coaches in the league. I thought they were spot on regarding Fisher, and the sympathizers can't argue the facts presented here.

Y! SPORTS

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bleh i really REALLY think they are giving Mike Smith to much credit...he should be on the other side tbh

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope... Can't really argue with that.

BRING BACK SPAGNUOLO!!!:lol:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Linehan who is the OC in Detroit? Spigot's last known stop was New Orleans DC. I don't know if he is still there.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Linehan who is the OC in Detroit? Spigot's last known stop was New Orleans DC. I don't know if he is still there.

Yes! Linehan would be even better! :nod: Oddly enough... I was talking football with my brother (a Browns fan) and for the life of me, I couldn't remember Scott Linehan's name. I must've sub-consciously blocked it from my memory. Lol.

Spags was last seen as a "Senior Defensive Consultant" to the Baltimore Ravens last year. Similar to what Gregg Williams was doing in Tennessee.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually... after a quick Google search... Spags is now the Ravens' secondary coach. How that makes any sense is beyond me. Lol.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. I would think that little weasel would not be able to hold down any defensive post Caynine but some bodies still think this guy has coaching skills. It is amazing when somebody was that bad at being a HC how we fans bury the memory and the coaching fraternity stands by their men. And in Spigot's case, that nightmare nobody can sustain and still retain their sanity!

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this article was centering on current coaches, not any previous coaches of any teams. If that were the case, Rich Kotite would have to be at the top of the list. But Linehan and Spagnolo would be right up there. Let's also not forget Jim Haslet. We've had our share of bad ones. Our motto should be: Come to the Rams.......where coaches go to die. The Rams organization has been like an old elephant graveyard since Vermeil.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been screaming for a long long time for the Rams to dig deep when it comes to selecting a head coach. They always find the guy that will work for peanuts and it shows. To be honest I was Leery of Vermiel back when he was picked to lead the Rams. Boy was I wrong there, but at the time he was out of football for years and no other team was chasing after him. The Rams have never been able to bring in or steal away a "great" active head coach. Not sure if it's a lack of money or if no one wants to coach the Rams. Hell! Even Fisher wanted to go to USC last season.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this article was centering on current coaches, not any previous coaches of any teams. If that were the case, Rich Kotite would have to be at the top of the list. But Linehan and Spagnolo would be right up there. Let's also not forget Jim Haslet. We've had our share of bad ones. Our motto should be: Come to the Rams.......where coaches go to die. The Rams organization has been like an old elephant graveyard since Vermeil.

I hear that Boss. We seem to have this mentality that locates and hires knuckleheads but Fisher's legacy remains undecided depsite the article's suggested that he has been largely overrated. We shall see.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Rambunctious. Having had to live throught Rich Brooks and other dolts, if you didn't know Vermeil's history, it would be very easy to express that sentiment.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was being facetious when calling for Spagnuolo and Linehan. They weren't under, or overrated... they were flat-out awful head coaches. :puke:

It was just my way of saying, overrated or not, I'm plenty cool with Fisher running the show in St. Louis, for now.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Rambunctious. Having had to live throught Rich Brooks and other dolts, if you didn't know Vermeil's history, it would be very easy to express that sentiment.

And I was perplexed and dismayed to see him want to leave after the SB win. I will never understand what happened to make Dick want to turn over his team to Martz...never in a million years. :noidea:

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear that Boss. We seem to have this mentality that locates and hires knuckleheads but Fisher's legacy remains undecided depsite the article's suggested that he has been largely overrated. We shall see.

I don't mind this assertion that Jeff Fisher is "overrated", at all. By the author of this article's standards, Dick Vermiel was overrated when he got to St. Louis, too. :wink:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Caynine. I was watching a football life last night on NFL total access. This episode was on Jerome Brown and Reggie White. when they were with the Eagles and still alive. And there was a lot of video with none other than Jeff Fisher who was an Eagle defensive assistant under Buddy Ryan at the time.

Fisher does indeed have quite a coaching background/pedigree after he left the playing field. It is easy to sit from afar and bring a set of nebulous criteria to judge someone as some of these these so-called experts often do. I guess the article was using win/loss records as the primary criteria but sometimes there are other factors involved that contribute to players developing and eventually winning. IDK.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind this assertion that Jeff Fisher is "overrated", at all. By the author of this article's standards, Dick Vermiel was overrated when he got to St. Louis, too. :wink:

You can only judge a player or coach by their past body of work Caynine, not their potential future work which hasn't occurred yet. So far, Fisher has done nothing with any franchise. He got a couple of division titles in Tennessee and lucked out on making it to the Super Bowl (yes luck. Remember the Music City Miracle) He currently resides firmly in the "mediocre" category. Vermeil may have been overrated when he got to St. Louis. But he certainly subsequently proved that he deserved his lofty appraisel wouldn't you agree? Until Fisher does that he deserves exactly the title he has----Mediocre.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, Tomlin is in no way overrated. Thats nuts. Considering his age, he is probably one of the 5 most valuable coaches out there.

Jeff Fisher has never had an elite QB. You aren't going to win too often when in the same division as great teams (as he has) without an elite QB. I do think Fisher needs at least 6 wins this year to keep his job.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 6 wins? Wow, you're very forgiving Clayton. What with the Golden Boy at QB (I'm not referring to the color of the stains in his shorts either) and our wonderful WRs, and our reworked OL, and our great defense, especially the secondary, and our genius OC who draws plays up with sticks and soda bottle caps, why at the very least we should be in the playoffs don't you think?

Of course Fisher is the Master of Mediocrity, so you very well may be more perceptive than I.....

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 6 wins? Wow, you're very forgiving Clayton. What with the Golden Boy at QB (I'm not referring to the color of the stains in his shorts either) and our wonderful WRs, and our reworked OL, and our great defense, especially the secondary, and our genius OC who draws plays up with sticks and soda bottle caps, why at the very least we should be in the playoffs don't you think?

Of course Fisher is the Master of Mediocrity, so you very well may be more perceptive than I.....
There has to at least be the perception that Jeff Fisher is underachieving. Look at the Lions last year. Not a terrible year but they underachieved and it was obvious to everyone. If the Niners defense suddenly gets old and Russell Wilson gets hurt and the Rams don't make the playoffs then yeah, can Jeff Fisher and everybody else. But if the Rams are in a division with 2 Super Bowl favorites and a legit playoff contender then the best that we can hope for is that the coach isnt boneheaded, Bradford improves, the secondary improves and things bounce the Rams way a few more times.

The Rams really do have about 8 or 9 built in excuses for Jeff Fisher if they fail to make the playoffs. It would take a legitimately bad season to get him fired. For better or worse.

mikey728

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I firmly believe that if Vermeil had not changed the way he dealt with/worked players, he would not have gotten to the promised land...Nor would he have been around in 2000 to find out any more about his coaching legacy...The near mutiny almost got him canned..Right or wrong, it's always said that you can't fire all the players so the coach gets the axe...It was also a huge "break" for him that Trent Green unfortunately went down in the preseason...He may have taken the rams all the way, but certainly not the way Warner did, IMO...