• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Overpaying Ohtani

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bro

You cheer for a team that had fucking Ohtani and Trout while never making the playoffs. Also spending the entire fucking time to add

There isnt anything for him to prove in a sport like baseball as a individual. You cant just lead teams to titles unless the rest of the team is good
I get it’s a team sport.

But he didn’t have to choose the most stacked team in the league either.

That’s what I meant by the comment. They’ve already won without him in 2020. So, if they win more with him, he’s just another guy, he’s not the missing piece that got them there.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious - Are Angel fans finicky enough to become Dodger fans now?
Not this one.

I’m not a bandwagon fan, and the team is bigger than 1 player.

Been an Angels fan long before Ohtani arrived, so not following him now that he left.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, they played together a grand total of 45% of their games together during that time because one of them was hurt most of the time.

Hard to win games when your 2 best players both aren’t playing at the same time.

And it’s not like the Angels didn’t try. They signed Rendón who immediately became injury prone and missing huge chunks of seasons, as well as other guys that didn’t pan out.

I get it’s a team sport.

That’s what I meant by the comment. They’ve already won without him in 2020. So, if they win more with him, he’s just another guy, he’s not the missing piece that got them there.

Im not piling on the Angels btw. But its my exact point. You have to have a lot of good players and you have to spend. Angels spent. They only had a couple good players even if two of them are GOATs

You say the Dodgers won without him in 2020. But that was the one time they won. They constantly have failed over the last decade+. Baseball is a tough sport.

If your logic is "they won without him" then basically he shoulda went to a team with no world series? I mean the Royals won in 2015 without him.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they are cheap???

Twins for the longest time were one of the lowest payrolls but the Pohlads had more money than the Steinbrenners. Its all about paying to play.

Difference in most scenarios is that for a place like Minny or Cleveland the market to make that money back isnt as strong. But with Ohtani it doesnt matter.

Any team that got this guy was going get huge benfits in revenue. Games will constantly sell out. Jersey sales. Everything.

I mean shit, the Angels gave 245 mil to Anthony Rendon alone.
Just because an owner is wealthy doesn’t mean they want to give up their own money to pay for a player.

That’s stupid business.

They team needs to make enough money to pay for said player.

And, let’s be honest. No small market team had a snowballs chance in hell to get Ohtani.

They could offer 1B and Ohtani would still take the LA offer.

He was never going to play for Cleveland or Minny or Padres, etc, and that’s the problem with baseball.

Even if the small market teams COULD pay that much, the players would never choose them over the big market teams.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because an owner is wealthy doesn’t mean they want to give up their own money to pay for a player.

That’s stupid business.

They team needs to make enough money to pay for said player.

And, let’s be honest. No small market team had a snowballs chance in hell to get Ohtani.

They could offer 1B and Ohtani would still take the LA offer.

He was never going to play for Cleveland or Minny or Padres, etc, and that’s the problem with baseball.

Even if the small market teams COULD pay that much, the players would never choose them over the big market teams.

Which is also my exact point that you claiming he cant prove himself as a winner is mental. He was always going to a good team. Because the only teams that would be willing to pay were the ones built to win now

You're upset as a Angels fan, I get it. But the guy was always going to get paid massive money. He will generate the revnue to make it worth it. And if he happens to win rings he will be a massive part of that.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why the players might allow it. A ceiling and floor raises average salaries but maybe caps the biggest ones like this one. Owners don't seem to want it though. The small market teams are happy as it is. Fans maybe not but fans don't matter.
Ain’t no way the MLBPA would ever sign off on a cap and if they do they might as well just fold the PA. They reluctantly agree to the luxury tax that the owners have abused that has turned baseball into a regional sport.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ain’t no way the MLBPA would ever sign off on a cap and if they do they might as well just fold the PA. They reluctantly agree to the luxury tax that the owners have abused that has turned baseball into a regional sport.
A cap with a floor? Why not?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen.

His yearly earnings will be half the league average for entire franchises.

Good for him, not good for MLB.
This is straight embarrassing and I’m not talking about Ohtani and the Dodgers.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A cap with a floor? Why not?
Cause the whole point of the luxury tax was to have a floor. A rich team would go over what owners agreed was the luxury and gave it to the poorer teams. But owners have pocketed it instead of doing what they told the PA they would do.

QuestionSocratic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't follow baseball that closely but I've always assumed that he had to play in the AL so that he could DH. Therefore my question, has he been a positional player anytime during his career?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That number could very well be lower in 2024.

Detroit was about $121,000,000 of that 638 million.

And they’ve shed $46,000,000 in payroll by Miggy being done and ERod leaving.

The highest paid player for the National League Champion Dbacks didn’t make $12,000,000 last year.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That number could very well be lower in 2024.

Detroit was about $121,000,000 of that 638 million.

And they’ve shed $46,000,000 in payroll by Miggy being done and ERod leaving.

The highest paid player for the Word Champion Dbacks didn’t make $12,000,000 last year.
Oh shit! Did we rewrite the World Series script and nobody told me?

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it’s a team sport.

Lol. 2020 doesn't count. Dog turds haven't won shit.

And who the fuck are you to tell Ohtani where to sign?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That doesn't make any sense though. Ohtani's 700 million is over 10 years. Those payrolls are for 2023. He's just throwing around unrelated numbers. I'm embarrassed for Jayson Stark.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More people in LA decided to get an Ohtani jersey today ,than fand went to Oakland A's games this year.
$70M worth of jerseys? And that pace will continue for 10 years?

On MLB.com, named Dodger jerseys are listed at $135. How many Ohtani jerseys will they sell? 20k? I legit have no idea how many they will sell. But the bigger question is how many EXTRA sales will they get (people who will buy a Dodger jersey either way, but just need to decide between a Betts jersey and a Freeman jersey and an Ohtani jersey don’t count). And will that pace continue for 10 years?

They will absolutely make a lot of that money back. No question. They are gaining market share in Asia. That’s huge. But 700M worth? And actually more than that because they are WAY over the tax threshold. They are spending like the Warriors in regards to tax.

The doggies own their own tv network, so they will profit from this outside of MLB rules, so they won’t need to share a lot of their profits from this signing, and that HUGE.

But 70M per year huge?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.

MLB might as well shut down all the small market teams and say “Thanks for playing”.

Because they will never be able to compete with the big market teams. Even when they draft stud guys, they can’t afford to keep them in FA and those players leave for NY or LA or the team is “forced” to trade the player before free agency knowing they are going to lose them anyway.

Which, btw, is what the Angels should’ve done knowing they had no chance or signing him.

Now, they get a measly late 3rd round comp pick for losing the best player in baseball.
I am a firm believer that while NY, LA and a lessor extent, Chicago have a slight income advantage to the other teams, Any team can sit at the big boy table if they want too. The Padres becoming a big hitter over the last few years proved that. Teams that don’t spend are CHOOSING not to spend.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$70M worth of jerseys? And that pace will continue for 10 years?

On MLB.com, named Dodger jerseys are listed at $135. How many Ohtani jerseys will they sell? 20k? I legit have no idea how many they will sell. But the bigger question is how many EXTRA sales will they get (people who will buy a Dodger jersey either way, but just need to decide between a Betts jersey and a Freeman jersey and an Ohtani jersey don’t count). And will that pace continue for 10 years?

They will absolutely make a lot of that money back. No question. They are gaining market share in Asia. That’s huge. But 700M worth? And actually more than that because they are WAY over the tax threshold. They are spending like the Warriors in regards to tax.

The doggies own their own tv network, so they will profit from this outside of MLB rules, so they won’t need to share a lot of their profits from this signing, and that HUGE.

But 70M per year huge?
There isn’t such a thing as an Asian share, whoever got him was going to get a tv deal in Japan. At worst they will be able to license it out and receive a shit load of money. $70 million is a lot but he deserves every cent and the Dodgers will be fine. It just sucks it’s the Dodgers cause they still aren’t better than the Braves.