• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Overpaying Ohtani

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any floor would be higher than the payrolls that several teams have thrown out there the last few years

And it would increase salaries
That's why the players might allow it. A ceiling and floor raises average salaries but maybe caps the biggest ones like this one. Owners don't seem to want it though. The small market teams are happy as it is. Fans maybe not but fans don't matter.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even...Dodgers is worse
boo-this.gif

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus, how much did the Blue Jays offer that made the Dodgers go to $700 million.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohtani will be paid, annually, for the next 10 years, more than the A’s and O’s payroll was for 2023 (as it stood going into 2023).

Think about that for a second.

One player, for each of the next 10 years. More than ann entire MLB roster.
More people in LA decided to get an Ohtani jersey today ,than fand went to Oakland A's games this year.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol I ain't followed baseball since the steroid scandal. But that shit is insane...
The past few years I go to about 10-12 dodger games a year and like two Angels games and only when Ohtani pitched. I went to high school right below Dodger Stadium. Our baseball fields were between Dodger Stadium and the LA Police Academy. We'd hop the fence and run across the Dodger stadium parking lot and then jump that fence to save like 40 from walking all the way around.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus, how much did the Blue Jays offer that made the Dodgers go to $700 million.
Good question. I wonder if it was the same offer or close to the same and he just chose to stay in LA. All yesterday I heard the Blue Jays were getting him which I was fine with. The Padres or Giants getting him. I wouldn't have liked. I secretly like the Cubs so I wouldn't have complained if they got him.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need a cap ceiling and floor. Simple as that. This is getting out of hand but I said this for awhile now. When will they figure it out?
Nah, we’re good. No one owes small market baseball teams anything.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The past few years I go to about 10-12 dodger games a year and like two Angels games and only when Ohtani pitched. I went to high school right below Dodger Stadium. Our baseball fields were between Dodger Stadium and the LA Police Academy. We'd hop the fence and run across the Dodger stadium parking lot and then jump that fence to save like 40 from walking all the way around.
You reminded me when me and my crew snuck into Lakers games when they played at the Forum back in the day...

Went through a drive through Ingle'hood a couple of weeks ago and almost didn't recognize the place. Way different now that SoFi and Intuit(where the Clippers will play) got buildings there...

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid Dodgers. Good luck avoiding the luxury tax this year

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You reminded me when me and my crew snuck into Lakers games when they played at the Forum back in the day...

Went through a drive through Ingle'hood a couple of weeks ago and almost didn't recognize the place. Way different now that SoFi and Intuit(where the Clippers will play) got buildings there...
lol. We used to sneak into dodger stadium as kids. We'd get enough for one ticket and go by the concession stands next to the doors that they open when the games over. We'd all be ready and the one kid inside would run up to the door and push the door open and we'd all run in and separate. We'd meet up like an inning later at one designated spot. Anyone who didn't show was clearly caught but the security people and sent down below where they kept the drunks and they at least let you watch the game on the tv monitor.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why the players might allow it. A ceiling and floor raises average salaries but maybe caps the biggest ones like this one. Owners don't seem to want it though. The small market teams are happy as it is. Fans maybe not but fans don't matter.

yep, and spending money doesnt always equate to wins

it helps, but doesnt mean much

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More people in LA decided to get an Ohtani jersey today ,than fand went to Oakland A's games this year.

Curious - Are Angel fans finicky enough to become Dodger fans now?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious - Are Angel fans finicky enough to become Dodger fans now?
Angels fans don't switch over just like Clipper fans don't switch over. It's just a different fan base. When I do go see an Angles game it's more low key , not a lot of chanting or fans getting loud. Dodger games are a fun time , people yelling lets go dodgers from the first inning. If there's a bunch of fans from the other team it gets a little nuts.

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a grotesque amount of coin for one player - even a likely all-timer like Ohtani. Hopefully he can pitch well in 2025 and beyond to justify the deal but as a fan I'd much prefer my team spread that kind of money out by signing 2-3 really good- to great players instead. That said, I'm very happy he signed with the Dodgers over Toronto. Get him out of the AL.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean any team coulda done this. THere is no cap. Most teams are worth closer to a billion overall. Its 70 per year that will make the money back in jersey sales instantly

Small market teams just dont have the balls to do it.
They don’t have the money to do it.

Ohtani’s 70M per season is more than both the Orioles and the A’s entire 2023 payrolls for the whole team.

How do you expect them to shell out 70M for 1 player when their entire roster doesn’t cost 70M?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don’t have the money to do it.

Ohtani’s 70M per season is more than both the Orioles and the A’s entire 2023 payrolls for the whole team.

How do you expect them to shell out 70M for 1 player when their entire roster doesn’t cost 70M?

Because they are cheap???

Twins for the longest time were one of the lowest payrolls but the Pohlads had more money than the Steinbrenners. Its all about paying to play.

Difference in most scenarios is that for a place like Minny or Cleveland the market to make that money back isnt as strong. But with Ohtani it doesnt matter.

Any team that got this guy was going get huge benfits in revenue. Games will constantly sell out. Jersey sales. Everything.

I mean shit, the Angels gave 245 mil to Anthony Rendon alone.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohtani will be paid, annually, for the next 10 years, more than the A’s and O’s payroll was for 2023 (as it stood going into 2023).

Think about that for a second.

One player, for each of the next 10 years. More than ann entire MLB roster.
Exactly.

MLB might as well shut down all the small market teams and say “Thanks for playing”.

Because they will never be able to compete with the big market teams. Even when they draft stud guys, they can’t afford to keep them in FA and those players leave for NY or LA or the team is “forced” to trade the player before free agency knowing they are going to lose them anyway.

Which, btw, is what the Angels should’ve done knowing they had no chance or signing him.

Now, they get a measly late 3rd round comp pick for losing the best player in baseball.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.

MLB might as well shut down all the small market teams and say “Thanks for playing”.

Because they will never be able to compete with the big market teams. Even when they draft stud guys, they can’t afford to keep them in FA and those players leave for NY or LA or the team is “forced” to trade the player before free agency knowing they are going to lose them anyway.

Which, btw, is what the Angels should’ve done knowing they had no chance or signing him.

Now, they get a measly late 3rd round comp pick for losing the best player in baseball.
Did you even watch the playoffs last year?

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bro

You cheer for a team that had fucking Ohtani and Trout while never making the playoffs. Also spending the entire fucking time to add

There isnt anything for him to prove in a sport like baseball as an individual. You cant just lead teams to titles unless the rest of the team is good
And, they played together a grand total of 45% of their games together during that time because one of them was hurt most of the time.

Hard to win games when your 2 best players both aren’t playing at the same time.

And it’s not like the Angels didn’t try. They signed Rendón who immediately became injury prone and missing huge chunks of seasons, as well as other guys that didn’t pan out.