• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our favorite time of year drawing to a close

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Now that it's just about time for the SCFs to begin, what will you now do that you've been slacking off on?

I've got 3 or 4 truck loads of dirt in the back yard that in need to retain. Yea. i got the dirt moved over from the empty lot next door that they finally have a house on.

Our back yard went about 15 feet off the house before it drastically sloped down. it's a mean hill that's hard as hell to mow. With the new dirt in place, we now have about 25 feet before it slopes off.

We acquired a huge 17 x 15 playground set from a neighbor that I've almost got disassembled and ready to move over, but can't erect it in our back yard until my dirt is retained. I have a few railroad ties at the bottom, and am going to tier it up to the top. Anyone ever do a retaining wall? Any ideas for me?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We acquired a huge 17 x 15 playground set from a neighbor that I've almost got disassembled and ready to move over, but can't erect it in our back yard until my dirt is retained. I have a few railroad ties at the bottom, and am going to tier it up to the top. Anyone ever do a retaining wall? Any ideas for me?

There's a dirty joke in there somewhere. ;)

It's funny, I just finished building a patio with stone walls and a brick walkway. So, while I haven't done a retaining wall, it's pretty similar to building a free-standing wall, except that it generally leans one way or another (and has dirt behind it obviously).

I used Nicolock products and their catalog has some really nice instructions on how to do various products including retaining walls. You can view it online here. (Go to page 66, it loads slowly FYI). I also found some good videos on YouTube.

Best advice I can give, make sure to take your time and make the base layer of the wall perfectly level and aligned. It's tedious and time-consuming, but after that, it's a pretty easy process and you'll avoid further problems down the road. And it's amazing how the tiniest fraction off at the bottom can build and create problems as you make your way up the wall.

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I really wish i could have gotten the framework done before getting the dirt. Now I have a LOT of digging to do..hating my wife every step of the way. I'm pretty tired of her ideas creating fucking work for me. this is ALL her idea. We can't afford the 10 grand it would take to pay someone to do it, so it's my baby. Fuck that.

So that's an interesting site. I appreciate it. My wall's not really a verticle wall. It's pretty much going to be a couple RR ties and flat for 2-3 feet, go up a couple more RR ties and flat for 2-3 feet etc. If it doesn't work out, I could give a fuck.

Can you tell how enthused I am about this project?

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not really too much advice to give on this one. Mostly just labor intensive. I will however recomend to fasten the RR ties with giant landscaping spikes.

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not really too much advice to give on this one. Mostly just labor intensive. I will however recomend to fasten the RR ties with giant landscaping spikes.

The first few ties are being held down by 4 foot rebar

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That will do the trick! Just make sure you have them where you want. I had to pull out 4x4s with 3 foot rebar before building the new walls and it was hell. I bent a steel pole it was so hard to get out.

And yeah, probably a dirty joke in that last one as well.

Good luck, Roolz. Just finishing it myself, I know it's a lot of work.

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The first few ties are being held down by 4 foot rebar

See, not much advice i can give! I'm really just taking an interest in your project to avoid the drywall that I need to get done!:D
In about a month, I will have some pics to post of my Wings mancave.:cool:

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
See, not much advice i can give! I'm really just taking an interest in your project to avoid the drywall that I need to get done!:D
In about a month, I will have some pics to post of my Wings mancave.:cool:

you really shouldn't have said that. now all the wings fans on here can blame you for the early exit.

How did you expect the Wings to advance with your mancave still under construction?

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That will do the trick! Just make sure you have them where you want. I had to pull out 4x4s with 3 foot rebar before building the new walls and it was hell. I bent a steel pole it was so hard to get out.

And yeah, probably a dirty joke in that last one as well.

Good luck, Roolz. Just finishing it myself, I know it's a lot of work.

Thanks man. I'm about to go on strike. I think I need to have one BJ for every hard day I put into the wall put in the contract.