• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our Big 12 Preview thread for 2018 (with extras included!)

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well pretty sure MSU sexually assaulted Baylor.
kickerblammo.0.gif

Obviously Oklahoma is better than Iowa. It’s proof as to why you can’t use the transitive property as absolute fact.

Great clip, but it is a punter. That is like being proud of picking on the kids getting off the short bus

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great clip, but it is a punter. That is like being proud of picking on the kids getting off the short bus
Well going from being down 14-34 to winning the game seems like they were getting manhandled.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Virginia

Preview segment: The West Virginia Mountaineers

Last season: A kinda-blah 7-6 season for West Virginia as they just couldn't win a big game to save their lives. Yet despite that mediocre record, a lot of people has the Mountaineers pegged for big things in 2018. Has the Big 12 gotten that weak, or is Dana Horgorsen hiding something

If Grier doesn't get hurt in the Texas game WVU is AT LEAST a 9 game winner ( Texas was a lay up win with a healthy Grier) last year if not 10 (the players knew full well that beating OU in Norman with Grier would be a tall order but NO WG?, no shot and they gave up) with a ton of momentum heading in to 2018. All reports say that his finger is fine and the other guys have developed nicely around him, that's where the optimism is coming from, that and its a bit of an off year for QB's for the rest of the Big12 (by Big12 standards anyway).
WVU ALWAYS has big question marks when it comes to depth, that's not new. If we can stay healthy we should contend for the conference and if not... hello chicken bowl.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma State

Preview segment: The Oklahoma State Cowboys

Last season: Another fine season for the kids from Stillwater, as Oklahoma State grabbed it's 3rd-straight 10-win season and a bowl win over Virginia Tech.
But I knew that OK State wasn't going to win the Big 12 when Lindy's placed them at #5 in last year's CFB magazine. It just wasn't meant to be. Oh, and not being able to stop the pass contributed to it as well.

Bad news: So finally, Mason Rudolph and his merry men of WR's are now gone. Losing him wouldn't be so bad if they, oh, I don't know, NOT HAVE 4 QB'S fighting for the starting job right now! Some holes has to be filled on the O-line as well.

Good news: Other than that, everything actually looks OK. RB Justice Hill is still here, and the defense has a chance for significant improvement with 7 starters back.

2018 X-factor: New defensive coordinator Jim Knowles- Glenn Spencer was actually popular on the OK State campus, but now he's gone for a better opportunity with... the Charlotte 49ers?! REALLY?! Well anyway, Jon Knowles (formally from Duke) is here, and we'll see how Jim gets along with everyone in Stillwater.

Key games:
9/15 vs. Boise State (This should be a pretty even contest. I guess it'll all come down to which QB OK State puts up against Brett Rypien.)
10/13 @ Kansas State (OK State had dreams for the "New Year's Six" bowls in 2017... until K-State stunned them in Stillwater 45-40.)
11/10 @ Oklahoma (Here we go again, folks! Another installment of the most exciting one-sided rivalry in CFB history!)
11/24 @ TCU (Remember when some people were thinking "national title" for Oklahoma State? Those dreams died when TCU stole them 44-31.)

Bottom line: On one hand, it'll be hard for OK State to no longer Mason Rudolph and James Washington. On the other hand, they've improved so much under Mike Gundy that maybe they can just replace them and move on.
So with that, the Cowboys are the "wild-card" team of the Big 12 in 2018: They got talent in a lot of places. All they need is a consistent QB that can lead them to victories and maybe a shot at the Big 12 title game.

(P.S. All 3 of your losses in 2018 was at Boone Pickens Stadium, so try to do better at home. OK, Mike Gundy?)

Spencer was popular in 2013. After the last couple of seasons we were like goodbye bitch. That is my only knock on your preview.

Knowles is intriguing. He has experience dealing with talent gaps and is super aggressive. As a DC he is kinda what guys like Leach and Holgy were early in their careers. I don't know if it will work in the Big 12 but after a decade of bend but not break I'm more than ready to try something new. Also he features safeties. Like that is his thing. I hope Dax is paying attention to that