• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our Big 12 Preview thread for 2018 (with extras included!)

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And by extras, I mean FCS predictions, a look at some of the independents, that sort of thing. Also, if this thread ends up being Texas Longhorn fans bitching all the time, I will not be happy. Share the space, people!

What's that? "Will I pick people for the Heisman"? Well, after that whole mess with Baker Mayfield last year, I don't know...

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor

The first preview segment for the Big 12 Conference: The Baylor Bears

Last season: Why is Baylor going first this year? Partly because of alphabetical reasons, but mostly because the school had recently settled another of those nasty "Title IX" lawsuits filed by a poor female who got assaulted during the Art Briles era.
And why did I bring this up? Because karma paid Baylor back big time in 2017. Not only are these poor female victims getting some form of compensation for their suffering, but the Baylor football team crashed and burned with a 1-11 mark.

Good news: QB Charlie Brewer shined as a late starter in 2017, and now he's back with a strong and speedy collection of WR's. Coach Matt Rhule has gotten Baylor's recruiting back to a respectable level...

Bad news: ...but depth and team health will still be an issue. And this goes without saying, but let's hope that experienced D-line Baylor has will lead to more turnovers.

Key games:
9/8 @ UTSA (A better start to the season is essential for Baylor. So they're hoping to avenge that awful 17-10 loss the Roadrunners gave them last year.)
9/15 vs. Duke (Between Charlie Brewer and Duke's QB Daniel Jones, we could have a 48-45 type of game here.)
9/22 vs. Kansas (Like I said, a good start is essential for Baylor. Hopefully they can bypass the Jayhawks again in their Big 12 opener...)
9/29 @ Oklahoma (...because this is where the hard journey truly begins.)

Bottom line: To me, Baylor is still kind of a hot potato right now. But at least Matt Rhule is trying his hardest over in Waco, so he can expect a few more wins for the Bears in 2018. A bowl game, though, is not gonna happen.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma State

Preview segment: The Oklahoma State Cowboys

Last season: Another fine season for the kids from Stillwater, as Oklahoma State grabbed it's 3rd-straight 10-win season and a bowl win over Virginia Tech.
But I knew that OK State wasn't going to win the Big 12 when Lindy's placed them at #5 in last year's CFB magazine. It just wasn't meant to be. Oh, and not being able to stop the pass contributed to it as well.

Bad news: So finally, Mason Rudolph and his merry men of WR's are now gone. Losing him wouldn't be so bad if they, oh, I don't know, NOT HAVE 4 QB'S fighting for the starting job right now! Some holes has to be filled on the O-line as well.

Good news: Other than that, everything actually looks OK. RB Justice Hill is still here, and the defense has a chance for significant improvement with 7 starters back.

2018 X-factor: New defensive coordinator Jim Knowles- Glenn Spencer was actually popular on the OK State campus, but now he's gone for a better opportunity with... the Charlotte 49ers?! REALLY?! Well anyway, Jon Knowles (formally from Duke) is here, and we'll see how Jim gets along with everyone in Stillwater.

Key games:
9/15 vs. Boise State (This should be a pretty even contest. I guess it'll all come down to which QB OK State puts up against Brett Rypien.)
10/13 @ Kansas State (OK State had dreams for the "New Year's Six" bowls in 2017... until K-State stunned them in Stillwater 45-40.)
11/10 @ Oklahoma (Here we go again, folks! Another installment of the most exciting one-sided rivalry in CFB history!)
11/24 @ TCU (Remember when some people were thinking "national title" for Oklahoma State? Those dreams died when TCU stole them 44-31.)

Bottom line: On one hand, it'll be hard for OK State to no longer Mason Rudolph and James Washington. On the other hand, they've improved so much under Mike Gundy that maybe they can just replace them and move on.
So with that, the Cowboys are the "wild-card" team of the Big 12 in 2018: They got talent in a lot of places. All they need is a consistent QB that can lead them to victories and maybe a shot at the Big 12 title game.

(P.S. All 3 of your losses in 2018 was at Boone Pickens Stadium, so try to do better at home. OK, Mike Gundy?)

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma State

Preview segment: The Oklahoma State Cowboys

Last season: Another fine season for the kids from Stillwater, as Oklahoma State grabbed it's 3rd-straight 10-win season and a bowl win over Virginia Tech.
But I knew that OK State wasn't going to win the Big 12 when Lindy's placed them at #5 in last year's CFB magazine. It just wasn't meant to be. Oh, and not being able to stop the pass contributed to it as well.

Bad news: So finally, Mason Rudolph and his merry men of WR's are now gone. Losing him wouldn't be so bad if they, oh, I don't know, NOT HAVE 4 QB'S fighting for the starting job right now! Some holes has to be filled on the O-line as well.

Good news: Other than that, everything actually looks OK. RB Justice Hill is still here, and the defense has a chance for significant improvement with 7 starters back.

2018 X-factor: New defensive coordinator Jim Knowles- Glenn Spencer was actually popular on the OK State campus, but now he's gone for a better opportunity with... the Charlotte 49ers?! REALLY?! Well anyway, Jon Knowles (formally from Duke) is here, and we'll see how Jim gets along with everyone in Stillwater.

Key games:
9/15 vs. Boise State (This should be a pretty even contest. I guess it'll all come down to which QB OK State puts up against Brett Rypien.)
10/13 @ Kansas State (OK State had dreams for the "New Year's Six" bowls in 2017... until K-State stunned them in Stillwater 45-40.)
11/10 @ Oklahoma (Here we go again, folks! Another installment of the most exciting one-sided rivalry in CFB history!)
11/24 @ TCU (Remember when some people were thinking "national title" for Oklahoma State? Those dreams died when TCU stole them 44-31.)

Bottom line: On one hand, it'll be hard for OK State to no longer Mason Rudolph and James Washington. On the other hand, they've improved so much under Mike Gundy that maybe they can just replace them and move on.
So with that, the Cowboys are the "wild-card" team of the Big 12 in 2018: They got talent in a lot of places. All they need is a consistent QB that can lead them to victories and maybe a shot at the Big 12 title game.

(P.S. All 3 of your losses in 2018 was at Boone Pickens Stadium, so try to do better at home. OK, Mike Gundy?)
Why you talking to Mike Gundy? He gonna be gone after 2018.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And by extras, I mean FCS predictions, a look at some of the independents, that sort of thing. Also, if this thread ends up being Texas Longhorn fans bitching all the time, I will not be happy. Share the space, people!

What's that? "Will I pick people for the Heisman"? Well, after that whole mess with Baker Mayfield last year, I don't know...
who are Baylor and Oklahoma State? talk about Texas already.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 12 is so bad they can only field 10 teams. :dhd:

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owned your league’s champion at home. :dhd:

Oh, you

Big 10 2-1 vs Big 12 last year. Iowa had a monster year. Beat Ohio State and the team that beat Oklahoma. And Maryland beat Texas.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, you

Big 10 2-1 vs Big 12 last year. Iowa had a monster year. Beat Ohio State and the team that beat Oklahoma. And Maryland beat Texas.
H7NIWmTMSMihYSjLZbVG_Family%20Guy%20Aggressive.gif

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, you

So after that monster year in the league, that brings you to a grand total of how many points in the past 3 CFP’s? Like zero? You go!
:nutswing:

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So after that monster year in the league, that brings you to a grand total of how many points in the past 3 CFP’s? Like zero? You go!

Exhibition games, all of them. The only games that count are in the conference.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So after 4 years how many wins does your conference have in the CFP?

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Change of plans! Listen up!

A couple of big updates for you guys. First off, there will be no Notre Dame preview on this thread... mostly because it'd be just plain stupid to lump the Fighting Irish into my Big 12 previews. You know, because they're in the ACC?

And second of all, it turns out some of my relatives from Seattle are coming to visit. And we're all taking a 3-day trip to Maine starting on Thursday (and not Friday as I originally thought). So if you see six posts of Big 12 previews from me and wondering "What the hell is this weirdo doing?", that's why.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Virginia

Preview segment: The West Virginia Mountaineers

Last season: A kinda-blah 7-6 season for West Virginia as they just couldn't win a big game to save their lives. Yet despite that mediocre record, a lot of people has the Mountaineers pegged for big things in 2018. Has the Big 12 gotten that weak, or is Dana Horgorsen hiding something?

Good news: Hey kids! You want more proof that you don't need drugs to have a good time? Look at Will Grier! Kicked out of Florida due to a problem with PED's, he's now off the drugs and high on life and he's now aiming for the Heisman Trophy this year. And helping him out will be a posse of good WR's like Gary Jennings. There are also some talented players on defense...

Bad news: ...just not a whole lot of them. In fact, most of the CFB magazines are worried about the lack of depth on WVU's defense. And injuries during spring ball (most notably at linebacker) are not helping matters.

Key games:
9/1 vs. Tennessee [in Charlotte] (West Virginia should be able to defeat a rebuilding Tennessee squad, but it's still gonna be a hard game.)
9/15 @ NC State ( :happy: This could be a dark-horse contender for "Game of the Year" honors; Both teams have a strong QB... and not much in the way of defenses.)
9/22 vs. Kansas State (It's in Morgantown, but K-State is always well coached... and they have some QB's of their own.)
11/3 @ Texas (November is "make it or break it" time for WVU, as most of it's hard games are on this month. There is this game against the improving Longhorns, TCU, a trip to OK State...)
11/23 vs. Oklahoma (...and finally this always-tough fight with the Sooners [who could be on a major roll by this time].)

Bottom line: You know... This is reminding me of WVU's 2012 season. Yeah, you remember that one! Where some people placed you in the preseason Top 10, but then your defense crapped out on you and you went 7-6? Remember?
OK, OK, I know you don't want that to happen again. You want to rise up and appear in the Big 12 championship game, right? Well, I know Will Grier and his crew will do his part, so let's hope and pray that the defensive staff has a plan all lined up.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas

Preview segment: The Texas Longhorns

Last season: And speaking of me zooming through teams today, I'll bet that being a Texas Longhorn fan recently has been like being stuck in rush-hour traffic: You know that something amazing is waiting for you back home, but you're unable to get to it right now.
So in Austin, the school hired Tom Herman to get Texas back to the promised land after Charlie Strong buried them. Sadly, not even Tom could fix all of their problems in 1 year, so it was just another blah 7-6 season in 2017.

Bad news: Mostly to blame for that miserable 7-6 season was a miserable passing game. And even though both of Texas's starting QB's are back, there's not much hope that either one of them will lift up the offense.

Good news: However, the players on the O-line and at WR CAN lift up the offense... and they will. The defense will be ready to cause havoc in the Big 12 with good DB's and a defensive line that could be one of the best in the country.

Key games:
9/1 vs. Maryland [in Landover, MD] (As we all know, things didn't start too well for Texas in 2017 thanks to that 51-41 disaster against Maryland. This time around, the Texas defense HAS to be ready.)
9/15 vs. USC (Texas almost got the Trojans in L.A last year, so if the Longhorn passing game has a great night they can get USC in Austin. That's a BIG if, though.)
9/22 vs. TCU (...So now Texas has lost 5 of their last 6 against TCU, including the previous 4. WAKE UP, TEXAS!)
10/6 vs. Oklahoma [in Dallas] (Here's another installment in this famous rivalry, and if Texas breaks open that Sooners O-line, I think they're gonna win this one.)
11/17 vs. Iowa State (If only because Texas had lost their last 4 "Senior Day" games.)

Bottom line: With a front-loaded schedule staring Texas in the face, it's actually pretty simple to predict their fortune for 2018. The more wins they accumulate in the month of September, the better off they'll be. Will Sam Ehlinger or Shane Buechele (or maybe someone else) be ready for the task? If they are, then MAYBE the Big 12 title game will beckon for the Longhorns.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Tech

Preview segment: The Texas Tech Red Raiders

Last season: So Kliff Kingsbury is still coaching at Lubbock. And the offense was moving along nicely. So 2017 was a success for Texas Tech, right? Not really; they finished 6-7 and fell short on a couple of key games (like Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and that bowl game against USF).

Good news: RB Da'Leon Ward looks ready to up Tech's rushing numbers. And what's this? Looks like for the first time in a LONG while, Tech's defense could be better than their offense! 9 starters return on defense, including a stout front-seven.

Bad news: ...Wait a minute. Did I just say that Tech's DEFENSE could be better than their OFFENSE?!? MY GOD, WHAT THE F--K HAPPENED?!
No, seriously! The starting QB spot is in flux, I'm worried about that O-line, and how in the HELL can Tech not have a go-to WR yet?!

Key games:
9/1 vs. Ole Miss [in Houston] (Hoo, boy. That Tech defense is gonna get sorely tested in their opener. I'm really hoping that the offense is ready for this.)
9/22 @ Oklahoma State (Another interesting Big 12 opener between the Cowboys and Red Raiders.)
10/11 @ TCU (Tech was able to defeat TCU the last time they played in Fort Worth, and coach Kliff is hoping that happens again in this Thursday night battle.)
11/10 vs. Texas (Kliff basically saved his @$$ last year by rallying to beat Texas 27-23.)
11/24 vs. Baylor [in Arlington, TX] (How cool would it be if BOTH of these teams were fighting for a bowl berth by the time they enter "Jerry World"? It could happen...)

Bottom line: Just the fact that there are question marks on offense is putting Kliff Kingsbury squarely on the hot-seat again. Hopefully either Jett Dutley or McLane Carter will come through at QB and give Texas Tech a winning season. Otherwise, Tech could be shopping for coaches come Christmas time.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 12 is so bad they can only field 10 teams. :dhd:

10 teams in the Big XII & 14 teams in the BigTen. Proof neither conference can add correctly.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas

Preview segment: The Kansas Jayhawks

Last season: Yet another catastrophe as Kansas went 1-11 again.

Good news: The defense has a strong playmaker at every level of the defense, with DT Daniel Wise the one to watch. The RB position has a lot of talent...

Bad news: ...but will the O-line give those players any chance to run? Seriously, Kansas didn't even had enough healthy players on the O-line to have a spring game. The WR's need to step up their game as well.

Key games:
9/8 @ Central Michigan (Come on, Jayhawks! You've GOT to win a game on the road at SOME point in your lives!)
9/15 vs. Rutgers (A critical game for BOTH of these sorry teams. I'd hate to be the loser of this game and have to enter conference play on a low point.)
9/22 @ Baylor (Baylor might not be fully functional by this time, so here's hoping that the Kansas offense can find a way to beat the Bears.)
11/10 @ Kansas State (This might be Bill Snyder's last "Sunflower Showdown" game. And Kansas is probably thinking "Thank goodness".)

Bottom line: Okay, I joked around with Kansas long enough. In all seriousness, I'm hoping David Beaty can get Kansas a couple more wins so he can continue this rebuilding process. If Kansas can win against either Central Michigan (to break that awful road losing streak) or Rutgers (to defend the shield of the Big 12), that'll be a great step forwards.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas State

Preview segment: The Kansas State Wildcats

Last season: Another fine run for the Wildcats as they went 8-5 (including 5 wins in their final 6 games to close the season). And now that K-State has another shiny bowl trophy to look at, there's a good deal of optimism around Manhattan in 2018.

Good news: The O-line is deep and talented, and the back-half of the defense should have a dramatic improvement. Quarterback is also a position of strength, as both Skylar Thompson and Alex Dalton are back.

Bad news: ...Wait. Coach Snyder doesn't know which QB he's gonna start the season with? Oooookayyyy... that might not help a offense that's missing some key playmakers at WR. And special teams (long a team staple at K-State) has major questions to answer.

Key games:
9/8 vs. Mississippi State (Just a straight-up fight between two "Power 5" schools. No more, no less. Although it WOULD be a big boost for the Big 12 if K-State can stun the Bulldogs.)
9/22 @ Kansas State (Bill Snyder is hoping that his defense is ready to stop Will Grier and company... or at least see the offense keep pace with them.)
9/29 vs. Texas (K-State can catch the Longhorns looking ahead to the "Red Rival Rivalry" in this one.)
11/3 @ TCU (This ends a tough 3-game run for the Wildcats, as they'll visit the Frogs right after dealing with the two Oklahoma schools.)

Bottom line: On my Big 12 preview thread last year, some people were saying "chaos is gonna ensue when Bill Snyder steps down and tries to give the job to his son." Well... that didn't happen yet. So for right now at least, things should be quiet at Kansas State as the football team will once again try to make headway in the Big 12 despite losing a few people.