• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Winter Is Coming | Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ultimate Game Of Thrones Guide Into Season 5 Mount Rantmore

It's getting close! This is, in my opinion, the best show on television.

Going to be interesting this year. For the first time, the writers will have to deviate/make up the plotlines since GRRM cant be bothered writing the next books.

Some of the plotlines have a lot of book material left to run (Imp, Arya, Danerys, Jamie to a lesser extent) but some others have basically caught up to the books (Sansa, Bran, and for all intents and purposes, Cersei)

By next season, the television writers will be basically on their own.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be interesting this year. For the first time, the writers will have to deviate/make up the plotlines since GRRM cant be bothered writing the next books.

Some of the plotlines have a lot of book material left to run (Imp, Arya, Danerys, Jamie to a lesser extent) but some others have basically caught up to the books (Sansa, Bran, and for all intents and purposes, Cersei)

From what I understand GRRM has everything mapped out, he knows how he plans to end it and what will happen to each character, he just hasn't gotten around to filling in the blanks. He relayed this to the writers so they know the story arc and already know how it will all end. I trust them.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I understand GRRM has everything mapped out, he knows how he plans to end it and what will happen to each character, he just hasn't gotten around to filling in the blanks. He relayed this to the writers so they know the story arc and already know how it will all end. I trust them.

I have no worried about the tv writers at all. I was one of the many who read the books long before the tv series came out. And would like to read "the rest of the story"....I truly doubt that will ever happen though. I just dont see Martin ever "filling in the blanks". Which is a shame.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no worried about the tv writers at all. I was one of the many who read the books long before the tv series came out. And would like to read "the rest of the story"....I truly doubt that will ever happen though. I just dont see Martin ever "filling in the blanks". Which is a shame.

I wonder why that is? What is up with this guy? I would say the show blew up and he realized he could just sit back and rake in the cash but from what I understand the other books were severely spaced out as well.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder why that is? What is up with this guy? I would say the show blew up and he realized he could just sit back and rake in the cash but from what I understand the other books were severely spaced out as well.
Somebody that is that sort of creative (let's be honest, he's a genius to come up with such an incredible story) is typically a bit screwy and doesn't tend to think like normal people.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Supposedly there will only be 2 (or maybe 3) books to wrap it all up, but I just cant see it. Far too many plotlines in the book with lots of runway left at the end of book 5. I will leave it there, because I dont want unintended spoilers for the tv only fans.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta believe his publishers are none to thrilled with him either. Book sales would be off the charts if they were released now. Wait any longer, especially if the tv series passes him by, and book sales will plummet.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is true though that he's had trouble getting the books out all along, so it's got nothing to do with the success of the show. Books 2 and 3 were close together - considering the length of the books at least, but it was 5 years from book 3 to book 4 and another 5 1/2 years to book 5 from there.

And all throughout the period leading up to both he talked about hoping to have it out next year. Always next year. I don't know if the guy is just overly optimistic or if he really just has that much trouble getting it just how he wants it.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is true though that he's had trouble getting the books out all along, so it's got nothing to do with the success of the show. Books 2 and 3 were close together - considering the length of the books at least, but it was 5 years from book 3 to book 4 and another 5 1/2 years to book 5 from there.

And all throughout the period leading up to both he talked about hoping to have it out next year. Always next year. I don't know if the guy is just overly optimistic or if he really just has that much trouble getting it just how he wants it.

I really think the bold is what the issue is. I remember seeing an interview with him saying basically that he is much more interested in telling the story right as opposed to telling it quickly. He also does a lot of other things, editing compilations and such that I've never read, so don't particularly care about. Here's to hoping that he finishes them soon.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's actually tons of Cersei material left. She was 1 of the main characters in book 4, which King's Landing has barely touched yet. I think the scene in Qyburn's lab with Cersei where he's working on the Mountain was actually from Book 4. Other than that I don't think there's been anything. Plus it's pretty much been confirmed that Cersei will be featured in the show's 1st ever flashback.

I think there will be a few changes to her story but for the most part stay the same. Doesn't look like the Kettleblacks will be involved so maybe someone like Meryn Trant will have to fill in a bit or something.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant wait for this season to start.

Was in London over Easter and was watching some thoroughly forgettable UK teen movie. I SWORE one of the characters in the move was Sansa. Except it was the actress that plays Sansa. Except it wasnt. I am hallucinating actors....I cant wait until Sunday.

Particularly looking forward to Arya's "development".

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

GRRM might have everything all mapped out but that could be a lie like the "Lost" writers used to say. Or like I say every time my boss visits my desk.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just rewatched Mountain vs The Viper hoping the result would be different. It wasn't.