• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Winter Is Coming | Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Resolution and set up for next story lines.

One question: did anyone else think it odd that Varys was on the boat at the end? I mean, two minutes earlier we saw him in Dorne. So he had Uber take him to Mereen, just to catch a boat to, errr, where exactly are they going?

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best GOT episode ever... And it's not fucking close. So many turns of plot, so many things revealed, the music was incredible, and one of the most beautifully shot episodes I've seen. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

The first 20 minutes of music was fantastic. "Surreal" doesn't even begin to describe it.

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Resolution and set up for next story lines.

One question: did anyone else think it odd that Varys was on the boat at the end? I mean, two minutes earlier we saw him in Dorne. So he had Uber take him to Mereen, just to catch a boat to, errr, where exactly are they going?

I see what you mean, but I think it's just a matter of time passing. When Varys showed himself in Dorne, the ladies were discussing revenge for the deaths of the Martels during the trial. Clearly time had passed even though it happened just after the big kaboom. Same goes for Jaime arriving at King's Landing, when he had just been shown at The Twins a few scenes before. Or Varys is a shapeshifter, like the dude at the house of the undying. :)

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see what you mean, but I think it's just a matter of time passing. When Varys showed himself in Dorne, the ladies were discussing revenge for the deaths of the Martels during the trial. Clearly time had passed even though it happened just after the big kaboom. Same goes for Jaime arriving at King's Landing, when he had just been shown at The Twins a few scenes before. Or Varys is a shapeshifter, like the dude at the house of the undying. :)

True, and the Arya scene as well. At least they haven't gone "Full Pulp Fiction" and completely abandoned linear time progression.

Wife and I had a debate. So, did they really reveal that Jon Snow is a Targeryan? Could Lyanna have been impregnated by Robert Baratheon? Seems pretty clear that Jon is indeed Lyanna's baby now, but they did not categorically state who the father was, did they?

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, and the Arya scene as well. At least they haven't gone "Full Pulp Fiction" and completely abandoned linear time progression.

Wife and I had a debate. So, did they really reveal that Jon Snow is a Targeryan? Could Lyanna have been impregnated by Robert Baratheon? Seems pretty clear that Jon is indeed Lyanna's baby now, but they did not categorically state who the father was, did they?

I'm pretty sure Lyanna said something like, "If Robert finds out he'll kill him", to Ned. I don't think they confirmed that Jon is a Targeryan, but to me they ruled out Robert. I can't imagine Robert would kill the son he created with the love of his life.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My questions and comments.

What was the purpose of luring Pycelle to the lab to be killed? I know he and Cersei didnt get along but was their a significance to taking him there? Who is going to pay the prostitute?

What was the purpose of leading Lancel down there? Didn't that jeopardize their entire plan?

Also why would Arya's voice be different just because she had a different face on? Everyone knows that when you put a face on it doesn't change your voice. Pretty stupid.

Really good finale to a excellent season.

Last edited:

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure Lyanna said something like, "If Robert finds out he'll kill him", to Ned. I don't think they confirmed that Jon is a Targeryan, but to me they ruled out Robert. I can't imagine Robert would kill the son he created with the love of his life.

Thanks, I missed that.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And yet there was still smoke coming from the Sept when Bronn and Jamie arrived in kings landing.

It's possible that when they jump between story lines and locations that they aren't always moving in chronological order. However each individual's storyline is shown in chronological order aside from the obvious rare flashbacks. That's pretty much how the books are. So we saw Jamie and Bronn at the twins following the explosion but that could actually happened before it to give them time to get back to kings landing shortly after it happened.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet there was still smoke coming from the Sept when Bronn and Jamie arrived in kings landing.

It's possible that when they jump between story lines and locations that they aren't always moving in chronological order. However each individual's storyline is shown in chronological order aside from the obvious rare flashbacks. That's pretty much how the books are. So we saw Jamie and Bronn at the twins following the explosion but that could actually happened before it to give them time to get back to kings landing shortly after it happened.

Sorry about the font. Not sure why it does that sometime when I post from my phone. :L

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mentioned this to my son, and he rewatched the final scene. He claims that some of the ships have Dorne and Tyrell/Highgarden banners. I guess it is possible that Danerys set sail from Mereen on the Greyjoy ships, and they swung by Dorne to pick up Varys.

Also, it was a little odd that Danerys left the Dothraki behind. Since Season 1 we are told she needs an army. Then she leaves them behind. Did she bring the Unsullied? :noidea:

Varys did promise the Sand Snakes "blood and fire". It does make sense that Danerys decides to use the armies of Dorne to conquer the Lannisters.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned this to my son, and he rewatched the final scene. He claims that some of the ships have Dorne and Tyrell/Highgarden banners. I guess it is possible that Danerys set sail from Mereen on the Greyjoy ships, and they swung by Dorne to pick up Varys.

Also, it was a little odd that Danerys left the Dothraki behind. Since Season 1 we are told she needs an army. Then she leaves them behind. Did she bring the Unsullied? :noidea:

Varys did promise the Sand Snakes "blood and fire". It does make sense that Danerys decides to use the armies of Dorne to conquer the Lannisters.
:scratch:

The Unsullied and Dothraki were specifically shown on the boats...

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet, Danerys told Daario they were staying put. Maybe I misunderstood her. Another reason to rewatch !

It was his merc troupe, the Second Suns, that she told to stay put. They haven't really gotten any facetime since first introduced, they only really show Daario.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet, Danerys told Daario they were staying put. Maybe I misunderstood her. Another reason to rewatch !
Danny has 3 Essos armies at her command; Unsullied, Dothraki and Second Sons. Daario is the leader of the Second Sons.

As Daks said, only the Sons are staying behind to police Mereen.