• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: What are your hobbies

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just wanted to get to know some of my fellow posters here a little better.

What hobbies do you have that you spend your money and time on?

I basically like anything outdoors related. I'm an avid fisherman, hunter, mt. biker, and appreciator of any and all outdoor activities.

I have a dirt bike and ATV, but am really leaning towards selling the dirt bike. I recently acquired a fairly new Mt. bike. I've taken my new and my old mt. bike to the shop, and asked for them to put the better parts from my old bike on my new one. I've neglected my Mt. bike for the past 10 years or so. I got into racing my dirt bike and found myself not riding my mt. bike at all anymore.

I've never been in better shape than when I used to Mt. bike few times a week. I'm hoping I can rekindle the relationship, and in turn get into better shape.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golf

Fishing

Working out

Cooking

I read a ton of books

I grew up on a farm/winery, so going home and doing stuff there is where a good portion of my free time is spent

Wine

I like to travel to places a lot of people don't go (Romania, Bulgaria, Albania).

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Golf

Fishing

Working out

Cooking

I read a ton of books

I grew up on a farm/winery, so going home and doing stuff there is where a good portion of my free time is spent

Wine

I like to travel to places a lot of people don't go (Romania, Bulgaria, Albania).

My Dad used to Golf a lot more than he does now. I always thought I'd get into golf, but the older I get, the less likely that will ever happen. Plus it would cut into, not only my fishing time, but my fishing budget.

I'm pretty sure my wife would go ape shit if I told her I was going to make golf a new hobby.

My brothers and i have started targeting sharks. We started small, fishing from piers in NC, but have graduated to targeting much bigger sharks. We only go once or twice a summer, but go for a week or so at a time.

Shark fishing is very expensive, and a lot of work. We kayak our baits a couple hundred yards off shore, and use reels capable of holding around 1000 yards of 2-300 lb test line. We'll be going to the core banks of NC after the fourth of july for a week. I'm really hoping we can put a 500 plus lb shark on the beach, as we definitely have the gear and the know how to get it done.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Dad used to Golf a lot more than he does now. I always thought I'd get into golf, but the older I get, the less likely that will ever happen. Plus it would cut into, not only my fishing time, but my fishing budget.

I'm pretty sure my wife would go ape shit if I told her I was going to make golf a new hobby.

My brothers and i have started targeting sharks. We started small, fishing from piers in NC, but have graduated to targeting much bigger sharks. We only go once or twice a summer, but go for a week or so at a time.

Shark fishing is very expensive, and a lot of work. We kayak our baits a couple hundred yards off shore, and use reels capable of holding around 1000 yards of 2-300 lb test line. We'll be going to the core banks of NC after the fourth of july for a week. I'm really hoping we can put a 500 plus lb shark on the beach, as we definitely have the gear and the know how to get it done.

That is a lot more involved than my bass, walleye and musky fishing...along with the occasional trip to Smith Mountain Lake for inland stipers. I have caught some small sharks at the beach (Chincoteague) on ultra-light gear. I have 4 pound line working. It was crazy fun, but I have not gotten into really big fish, other than on charter trips. I did hook up with a cobia once, near Naples, FL on a walleye pole with 12 pound line. I fought him for about half an hour before he wrapped around a pylon and snapped my line. I got a few pictures of him around the boat but had no control over him. He was running the show, and I was just along for the ride. It was crazy fun, and I had about a 10% chance of actually landing him with the gear I had, but it was still a lot of fun.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
running
DIY
slo-pitch
gardening

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That is a lot more involved than my bass, walleye and musky fishing...along with the occasional trip to Smith Mountain Lake for inland stipers. I have caught some small sharks at the beach (Chincoteague) on ultra-light gear. I have 4 pound line working. It was crazy fun, but I have not gotten into really big fish, other than on charter trips. I did hook up with a cobia once, near Naples, FL on a walleye pole with 12 pound line. I fought him for about half an hour before he wrapped around a pylon and snapped my line. I got a few pictures of him around the boat but had no control over him. He was running the show, and I was just along for the ride. It was crazy fun, and I had about a 10% chance of actually landing him with the gear I had, but it was still a lot of fun.

IMO, it's much more fun, and definitely more challenging to catch bigger fish on lighter tackle.

Besides the "home run" baits we use, that are anywhere from 10-25 lbs with multiple hooks connected to 1000 lb steel cable, that we kayak out, we also use lighter surf gear.

We catch 1-200 lb sharks in the surf using 10-12 foot surf rods, and spinning reels with 3-350 yards of 40 lb mono. When you get a shark on, they run for at least 100 yards where you're wondering if you'll be able to get him turned around or not.

It's definitely a challenge, and takes a lot of practice, with your line usually breaking a few times before you land one. They are very fast and very strong.

Once you get one hooked, it's anywhere from 25 or 30 minutes to an hour or more depending on the size of the shark, and or the size of his heart...it wears you out, but great fun. I'll post a couple shark pics here in a few.

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
okay.. shark pics are in the profile.. and I updated my avitar to a pic of the one and only (knocks on wood) time I've been bitten by one.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guitar (I have a Fender Tele and a knock-off Gibson SG)
Fishing (mostly trout-fishing with the fly rods, my bro taught me how to tie my own flies growing up, so I enjoy doing that from time to time, when I need new ones)
Hiking
Softball (slo-pitch)
Surfing
kayaking

Last edited by a moderator:

Rossinole

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wanted to get to know some of my fellow posters here a little better.

What hobbies do you have that you spend your money and time on?

I basically like anything outdoors related. I'm an avid fisherman, hunter, mt. biker, and appreciator of any and all outdoor activities.

I have a dirt bike and ATV, but am really leaning towards selling the dirt bike. I recently acquired a fairly new Mt. bike. I've taken my new and my old mt. bike to the shop, and asked for them to put the better parts from my old bike on my new one. I've neglected my Mt. bike for the past 10 years or so. I got into racing my dirt bike and found myself not riding my mt. bike at all anymore.

I've never been in better shape than when I used to Mt. bike few times a week. I'm hoping I can rekindle the relationship, and in turn get into better shape.

Add in golf and they're pretty much the same as yours.

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fishing (mostly trout-fishing with the fly rods, my bro taught me how to tie my own flies growing up, so I enjoy doing that from time to time, when I need new ones)
Hiking
Softball (slo-pitch)
Surfing
kayaking

I've always wanted to get into fly fishing. I have a buddy in Fl whom I visit to go fishing. He has a couple fly rods. I've caught peacock bass on one of his fly rods. i was a ton of fun. I know good fly rods are up there in price. that's the only thing that's held me back.

if i got into fly fishing, I'd have to get at least a descent fly rod. I've heard the good ones start at a couple hundred bucks..add to that all the tools and equipment I'd need to tie my own flies, and it's out of my budget for now.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
this is my basement
IMG_6432.jpg

also, I like to golf poorly.
but mainly I am a chauffeur for my daughter.

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
this is my basement
IMG_6432.jpg

also, I like to golf poorly.
but mainly I am a chauffeur for my daughter.

Wow.. you're into playing guitar like I'm into fishing.. like borderline obsession...nice!

bonham

We are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
running
used the play the drums
reading sometimes

i'll have more one day when i'm not broke..

Burns80y

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hunting
fishing
golfing
drinking

I also make my own trail cameras. They can be used for many things scouting, seeing whats on your property, etc. There are a lot of digital cameras that you can use. Just take them apart solder a few wires in and hook them to a contol board with a motion sensor. It is pretty addicting and you can make some money off of them.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hiking
Softball (slo-pitch)
Surfing
kayaking

Do you play in Pittsburgh???

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
running
used the play the drums
reading sometimes

i'll have more one day when i'm not broke..

Are playing the drums like riding a bike? One thing I have always been interested in is playing an instrument, or the drums. I just never really pursued it. I'd like to be able to play any instrument really, but if i had my choice, it's be the drums or the sax.

I hope you get back into playing the drums..if ya want :D

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay.. shark pics are in the profile.. and I updated my avitar to a pic of the one and only (knocks on wood) time I've been bitten by one.

Nice pics.

I agree that light tackle is killer. I caught a 12 pound largemouth on 2 pound mono down in a swamp in Florida one time. It was on a Team Diawa procaster ultralight. It took like 20 minutes and he broke the line right as I got him on the back but I scooped him up before he got back into the water. I took pics, weighed him and put him back. It was a thrill. It was also my senior year of high school.