• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Target got got (de facto Bad Cyber Stuff thread)

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we somehow blame Ukrainians?

That's the assumption I am going on.

Actually, information I saw yesterday points to Illinois.

Which is just as bad.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we somehow blame Ukrainians?

Actually, information I saw yesterday points to Illinois.

da-bears.jpg

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Follow up:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/11/b...million-customers.html?hpw&rref=business&_r=1

I knew the initial number was bullshit. But I didn't think it was 3 times short of merely bullshit.

Also, this is a very concerning point:
The company now says that other kinds of information were taken, including mailing and email addresses, phone numbers or names, the kind of data routinely collected from customers during interactions like shopping online or volunteering a phone number when using a call center.

This means that their initial assertion that it was "Malware on the Point of Sale terminals" is a big fat lie. The bad guys had root access on a back end database.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jeez not a good run of form for target ... also announced yesterday canadian sales at the new stores are in the crapper

guess that means not so many cdns got their info compromised lol

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jeez not a good run of form for target ... also announced yesterday canadian sales at the new stores are in the crapper

guess that means not so many cdns got their info compromised lol

As you know jstew, Zellgart aren't fooling anybody, prices are 30-40% higher than Target in the US and the selection is no where near what you see in the States.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you know jstew, Zellgart aren't fooling anybody, prices are 30-40% higher than Target in the US and the selection is no where near what you see in the States.

yup and that sitch aint changing with a 91 cent dollar

/and btw ... wonder if the commish knows about this turn of events :noidea:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's better. Target in Canada sells hockey jerseys and hockey equipment.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actualy ... i dont think they do ... maybe thats the problem lol

The ones I saw in and around Missisaugua and London this past summer all had hockey gear and knock off jerseys. Tons of (obviously) Leafs shirts and stuff. But they had real sticks, skates and helmets too. CCMs and Easton if I recall. Wal Marts had it all too, it was a real novelty to me. That's why I remember it.

The "Sporting Goods" aisle sign in Target even had crossed sticks and not a baseball.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ones I saw in and around Missisaugua and London this past summer all had hockey gear and knock off jerseys. Tons of (obviously) Leafs shirts and stuff. But they had real sticks, skates and helmets too. CCMs and Easton if I recall. Wal Marts had it all too, it was a real novelty to me. That's why I remember it.

The "Sporting Goods" aisle sign in Target even had crossed sticks and not a baseball.

idk :noidea: there arent as many out west and they came into this market after they established presence in ontario east ... maybe its coming soon but we went to 2 in early december(burnaby and coquitlam) (both in malls - maybe that makes up part of the difference?) looking for skates for our son and there was nada

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that being said ... they have hockey stuff in the target in bellingham just over the border

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
idk :noidea: there arent as many out west and they came into this market after they established presence in ontario east ... maybe its coming soon but we went to 2 in early december(burnaby and coquitlam) (both in malls - maybe that makes up part of the difference?) looking for skates for our son and there was nada

Not sure. All I know is the ones I went into in the GTA were almost exactly like the ones here except they had Hockey stuff and no Starbucks up front.

Seems silly that they would focus on some markets and not others. If you're going to make the move into a country, do it all the way.

I noticed the one Best Buy I went into was TINY compared to the ones here.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure. All I know is the ones I went into in the GTA were almost exactly like the ones here except they had Hockey stuff and no Starbucks up front.

and they DO have a jazzy starbucks section at the 2 targets ive been to in burn. and coquitlam ... i guess maybe they did do some market research

they had to stagger their rollout out of new targets across canada because it was such a huge capital expenditure ... had to line up all the real estate (and bought an existing discount retailer)

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a WalMart card I hope that's OK. I'm getting paranoid about using plastic instead of cash.

Wingingit

Non-Essential
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a quick report today on our local station that Neimon Markus also was hit, don't shop there, but worth posting.

I don't shop and will not shop Target anyway... Tots is all I'll say.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nieman Marcus got hit as well.

Plus I am hearing three more retailers got owned. 5 total with Target and Nieman.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BOSTON (Reuters) - The U.S. government sent a confidential, 16-page technical bulletin to retailers and other merchants on Thursday that describes the malicious software and techniques used to attack Target Corp late last year.

The report provides steps to identify the malicious software used by criminal hackers that went undetected by anti-virus software when it infected Target's network, according to Tiffany Jones, a senior vice president with the security intelligence firm iSIGHT Partners, which helped draft the document.

"This report was generated so that we could get it into the hands of commercial entities so that they had information they needed to protect themselves," she told Reuters in an interview.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BOSTON (Reuters) - The U.S. government sent a confidential, 16-page technical bulletin to retailers and other merchants on Thursday that describes the malicious software and techniques used to attack Target Corp late last year.

The report provides steps to identify the malicious software used by criminal hackers that went undetected by anti-virus software when it infected Target's network, according to Tiffany Jones, a senior vice president with the security intelligence firm iSIGHT Partners, which helped draft the document.

"This report was generated so that we could get it into the hands of commercial entities so that they had information they needed to protect themselves," she told Reuters in an interview.

Reading it as we sp- er, type..