• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Pope Resigning

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gosh I hate that silly thing. Breakdown:

1. It's a MERCEDES. You're spending money from the CHURCH ON A MERCEDES
2. He's no better than any other man on this earth in the eyes of God. So he can stop acting like it.
3. He's not God. Treat him like a human people.

There's more, but I'll reign it in. In essence: the Catholic church tends to ignore the whole "no other Gods before me/no idols" thing *coughMARYcough*

The Catholic Church describes Mary as a person to look up to and revere, an example of how we are supposed to conduct ourselves as Catholics.

I was specifically taught to never worship Mary, only to respect and revere her. And we are not to pray to Mary, but to ask Mary to be our conduit to offer our prayers to God.

That we worship Mary as a god is a misconception.

That said, the Catholic Church irks me quite a bit, as a Catholic, for the unnecessary internal inconsistencies it creates and perpetuates.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Catholic Church describes Mary as a person to look up to and revere, an example of how we are supposed to conduct ourselves as Catholics.

I was specifically taught to never worship Mary, only to respect and revere her. And we are not to pray to Mary, but to ask Mary to be our conduit to offer our prayers to God.

That we worship Mary as a god is a misconception.

That said, the Catholic Church irks me quite a bit, as a Catholic, for the unnecessary internal inconsistencies it creates and perpetuates.

Glad to hear that, it's a misconception I bought. That said, isn't Jesus the conduit between man and God? Isn't that his...you know...entire purpose? There's just no biblical basis for holding Mary to any high esteem. She herself said she was unworthy (because who IS?). I respect her, because what she was brave enough to do was incredible, but saying "hail mary", claiming her "queen of the universe", and having her picture/statues adorned across the many forms of Catholicism bothers me. I suppose it depends on the realm of Catholicism being practiced...because there's a quite a few.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to hear that, it's a misconception I bought. That said, isn't Jesus the conduit between man and God? Isn't that his...you know...entire purpose? There's just no biblical basis for holding Mary to any high esteem. She herself said she was unworthy (because who IS?). I respect her, because what she was brave enough to do was incredible, but saying "hail mary", claiming her "queen of the universe", and having her picture/statues adorned across the many forms of Catholicism bothers me. I suppose it depends on the realm of Catholicism being practiced...because there's a quite a few.

I assure you, there are plenty of worse issues with the Catholic Church than the Mary thing. It's a very conceited faith.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assure you, there are plenty of worse issues with the Catholic Church than the Mary thing. It's a very conceited faith.

I read through my Bible and the Pharisees...well, lets just say I see a lot of the same things today in the big church organizations.

mbhhofr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Scola at 8 to 1 looks like the best bet out there right now. The majority of the votes come from Europeans, and they don't like change.

If he spelled his name Sicola, and he was elected Pope would he be called Pope Sicola? :rollseyes:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
today: approval rating from above

BC2h8wiCcAEuA05.jpg

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Maher ‏@billmaher
The Pope can quit? WTF? He's Sarah Palin now? Guess the College of Cardinals will convene to elect the obvious replacement, Jerry Sandusky

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Maher ‏@billmaher
The Pope can quit? WTF? He's Sarah Palin now? Guess the College of Cardinals will convene to elect the obvious replacement, Jerry Sandusky

Meh, I remember when Bill Maher used to be funny. Now he's just a bitter old man.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if they decide to go with a young candidate, do a whole reworking of the Catholic Church. Wouldn't it make a ton of sense for them to pick a guy that is younger, charismatic and could inject new life into a dying religion and be the face of their cause for the next 30-40 years rather than trot out another white haired wrinkled face that will be gone in a decade?

I agree!

hot-nun-hail-mary.jpg

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you seen the inside of St. Peters? The kind of money that the church has spent over the years on gaudy decoration is absurd.

Honestly, how did we all take so long to figure out the gay priests thing? No straight man decorates like that.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conference call mouth breathers who either:

1. Don't have a mute button
2. Don't know how to use a mute button
3. Flat out don't use mute buttons

Woah

Wrong thread.

These things drive me nuts and I am Orthodox so have nothing for that dude in Rome. Just a man to me. I hope he mutes his conference calls because he looks like a mouth breather who eats corn nuts during calls.