• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Pope Resigning

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First time in nearly 600 years (!) that a pope resigned

Any details on the new contract? I can't imagine it's many years with how old he is (the over 75 contracts suck), but on the other hand, the Vatican does have an absolutely ENORMOUS amount of cap space to fill.

citing his health

Oh. OH. You meant THAT resigned.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any details on the new contract? I can't imagine it's many years with how old he is (the over 75 contracts suck), but on the other hand, the Vatican does have an absolutely ENORMOUS amount of cap space to fill.

True, but their attendance has steadily decreased. A lot of people are hopping off the bandwagon.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wonder if they decide to go with a young candidate, do a whole reworking of the Catholic Church. Wouldn't it make a ton of sense for them to pick a guy that is younger, charismatic and could inject new life into a dying religion and be the face of their cause for the next 30-40 years rather than trot out another white haired wrinkled face that will be gone in a decade?

buddy_jesus.jpg

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey...pages are only 16 posts now?

Yeah, I think the default was changed to that. I had to go switch mine to 20 posts instead of default.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely irrevelant to the thread, but when the Pope gets mentioned then posting this pic becomes obligatory:

043-Nothing-says-I-trust-God-more-than-3-inches-of-bulletproof-glass-catholicism-the-pope-faith.jpg

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely irrevelant to the thread, but when the Pope gets mentioned then posting this pic becomes obligatory:

043-Nothing-says-I-trust-God-more-than-3-inches-of-bulletproof-glass-catholicism-the-pope-faith.jpg

LOL I love that. What is he so scared of? If he is actually the most righteous man on earth, should he be taken care of or accept gods will?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL I love that. What is he so scared of? If he is actually the most righteous man on earth, should he be taken care of or accept gods will?

Gosh I hate that silly thing. Breakdown:

1. It's a MERCEDES. You're spending money from the CHURCH ON A MERCEDES
2. He's no better than any other man on this earth in the eyes of God. So he can stop acting like it.
3. He's not God. Treat him like a human people.

There's more, but I'll reign it in. In essence: the Catholic church tends to ignore the whole "no other Gods before me/no idols" thing *coughMARYcough*

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gosh I hate that silly thing. Breakdown:

1. It's a MERCEDES. You're spending money from the CHURCH ON A MERCEDES2. He's no better than any other man on this earth in the eyes of God. So he can stop acting like it.
3. He's not God. Treat him like a human people.

There's more, but I'll reign it in. In essence: the Catholic church tends to ignore the whole "no other Gods before me/no idols" thing *coughMARYcough*

Have you seen the inside of St. Peters? The kind of money that the church has spent over the years on gaudy decoration is absurd.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you seen the inside of St. Peters? The kind of money that the church has spent over the years on gaudy decoration is absurd.

Well, I know a lot of the gaudy crap comes from a long, long time ago. I'm alright with ornate/beauty, that's fine, but this is just unnecessary materialism. I'm the pot calling the kettle black, because I have more than I need in life, but it was Jesus who said it was easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich, materialistic man to enter the kingdom of God. They just aren't devoted to being the "body of Christ" and doing work, and that's sad...because they hold immense power. Mother Teresa? SHE had "it".

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hate to play devil's advocate (ha!) here, but really, just because he's holy doesn't mean he throws up his hands and says what happens happens. The bible says trust in Jesus, it doesn't say, "But no, dude, totally put your hand in that blender. It's cool."

Also: “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.” Proverbs 27:12

I am not meaning to start a religious debate or anything, btw. I'm just pointing out that bulletproof glass is hardly inconsistent with Catholic teachings. Unlike several other things the church does which are.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be a very good Pope. I like driving and would probably complain about how my driver was handling things, what route he's taking, how slow he's going. Also, I don't like white cars, and I'd probably have to tint the windows. People would probably take issue with my rooting interests in hockey as well. So I'm going to bow out of the running.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be a very good Pope. I like driving and would probably complain about how my driver was handling things, what route he's taking, how slow he's going. Also, I don't like white cars, and I'd probably have to tint the windows. People would probably take issue with my rooting interests in hockey as well. So I'm going to bow out of the running.

Yeah, me either. It's the hockey thing. Hard to be all respected and holy when you spend every other night yelling "MURDER THAT @%$!ER, RINALDO!!!" and "GLAD TO SEE <opposing team name> IS HELPING THE REFS PAY THE MORTGAGES" at the TV/computer.

Come to think of it, I'm not so sure I'm not going to Hell.