• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Politics and other stuff that is sure to piss everyone off

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. And part of the solution is to stop accepting the "everyone does it" defense.

I'd support term limits, but most people don't want to muck with the status quo, so I don't really see a positive change coming down the pike. And now the Supreme Court has ruled that anonymous money in our political system is OK in unlimited quantities. Isn't that just bribery?

Yes. I am using "everybody does it" as a reason to change it all, not as a defense.

The SuperPAC ruling is absolutely disgraceful, but has seemingly gone uncontested by the American public. Predictable, but disheartening nonetheless.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've never bought into the "money is free speech" argument.

Money is most definitely NOT free speech, but it is a complicated issue. It's very difficult to make access to the public forum fair for all.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems to fit with the present vein of conversation:

The Decline of Conversation - Albert Jay Nock - Mises Daily

And things have gotten worse since that was written. But I wonder if things are turning around a bit in some senses. After all, we are having this conversation. It seems to me that blogs and message boards are facilitating the return of conversation to some extent. I don't hold out much hope that our government can be saved from the mess it's degenerated into without some shock to the system, but maybe we can delay the downward spiral. And maybe we'll get that shock in the not so distant future the way things are heading, and build up the critical mass necessary to effect lasting change. We'll see.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
P0rn stars are Republican VTFF?

And Rocky and VTscores... Jesus. This thread was all about the devolution of debate and intelligent discussion in this country and how that does us all a disservice... and you both went out and did it and then ended it with a mutual ignoring? WTF?

Concur 100% with your assessment, all of it.

FWIW, I tried, really, I did.

I u****ied him right away. I was simply looking for a graceful exit, after realizing that any meaningful give and take was out of the question.

U Da Man.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not sure how Rocky can claim the voice of reason in this, or that somehow between all of his name-calling he was looking for a graceful exit.

I merely said that there are wackadoos on the left as well as those on the right. Somehow that turned into a retrial of Charlie Rangel, complete with the definition of "criminal".

I still say he's a wackadoo.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks like the robo censor got me on that one

What I said above is Un-Iggied (or un ignored)

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how Rocky can claim the voice of reason in this, or that somehow between all of his name-calling he was looking for a graceful exit.

I merely said that there are wackadoos on the left as well as those on the right. Somehow that turned into a retrial of Charlie Rangel, complete with the definition of "criminal".

I still say he's a wackadoo.

let it all go dude. All of it. I have, long ago.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Originally Posted by sparko
living in a world where he thinks everything is black and white ... it would be like expecting LAPD to arrest everyone involved in the riots years ago or expecting the fuzz to knock on every door that has a ****-pirate living there .. statistically impossible #GotSwagAt66

Preface:

Rocky,
You're quickly becoming compared to a nagging grandmother on this board. Quit taking this shit so seriously. Digging into the NCAA violation manual? Are you serious? It's 90 fucking degrees outside. If you're already retired, you should be sucking down beers at the lake or banging Mrs. Rocky in the sun. And let's not treat "NCAA recruiting violations" the same as grand larceny. Laws being broken?? Yeah .. Should my tax dollars be spent on investigative services for this? Not that much. I want my executive dept forces hunting down rapists and murders, not teenage football players or athletes who dope. Now to your comments...

Thats some dumb shit right there.
What's so dumb about it? It's dumb and unrealistic to expect the NCAA to police fucking twitter and it's also unfair to penalize the school OR the prospect because some nobody tweets them

I don't write them. The NCAA member institutions, like VT do. They want rules. They are called by-LAWS, because they have consequences if you violate them.
Yawn -- again, it's like asking our forces to arrest every ****-pirate and be there to hand a ticket out to EVERY person who EVER sped down I-81 .. not realistic -- whether it's right or wrong

Tell me Sparko, Special J, what laws do you not give a shit about? Is it ok to steal, is a jurisdiction doesn't have enough cops to enforce laws?
Let's not compare a recruiting violation with stealing .. I never did so quit putting words into my mouth .. You're stretching -- big time

The riots are OK with you, because it was a mass of people committing the crimes?

FYI, LAPD did charge many many violators, by looking at film after the fact.
Making assumptions again .. Of course I wasn't OK with it but to say that there should have been enough cops there to arrest EVERYONE who broke the law -- not realistic

Most of the very serious violators were indeed charged.
believe that if you want to

You're illogic and seemingly total disregard of laws, simply because they may be difficult to enforce, is mind-boggling.
I don't disregard laws -- just laws that have no teeth and are unenforcable .. I'd rather resources not be wasted in this way

Like I said in an earlier post -- you see things as black and white, right and wrong -- which is fine .. but let's be realistic man. Enforcing stuff like this is damned near impossible. You commit to enforcing this and you'll need to hire another 1000 employees to constantly scrape the internet for this crap. Not gonna happen and the NCAA has bigger fish to fry re: recruiting violations that somebody tweeting "You should go to School A". Like a teenage kid is going to care one wit about some unknown schmuck tweeting that. Now if they're tweeting "Yo -- the caddy that we boosters bought you for committing to school A is ready to go" << that's a different story. You have to pick and choose your battles. If they're not tweeting it, they're just gonna call like they did in the past. They'll get their 2 cents in one way or the other.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rep if you didn't even read this post because its too fuckin long ^^^^

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hey, the politically incorrect is back!

Rep if you've tried to reason with Rocky before, and you realize how long a post (or series of posts) is required to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's like "Fight Club". Discussions with Rocky will go on as long as they need to. Most of the time, they should get moved to a different thread, though.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Where is Rocky? I'm bored and ready to argue about something :D

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3