• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Philly Sixers Draft

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you guys want at 3? Not really a huge fan of Russell ... I see him mocked to us at 3 in early mocks and I don't think he's a top 3 talent. Winslow to me is a bit of a 2/3 tweener; worth a top 10 pick, but a reach at 3. Don't know much about Mudiay although from what I've seen it just looks like he played against a lot of inferior "athletic" players. This leads me to the guy I'd like at 3 Mario Hezonja ... to me this cat has the best chance outside the top 2 guys to make an impact in the league. Love his athleticism and explosion. Plus the guy can shoot and has excellent handle for his size. Opinions?

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you guys want at 3? Not really a huge fan of Russell ... I see him mocked to us at 3 in early mocks and I don't think he's a top 3 talent. Winslow to me is a bit of a 2/3 tweener; worth a top 10 pick, but a reach at 3. Don't know much about Mudiay although from what I've seen it just looks like he played against a lot of inferior "athletic" players. This leads me to the guy I'd like at 3 Mario Hezonja ... to me this cat has the best chance outside the top 2 guys to make an impact in the league. Love his athleticism and explosion. Plus the guy can shoot and has excellent handle for his size. Opinions?
Russell would be my pick. I think Hinkie loves the guy as well. I kind of wished Russell stayed at tOSU for another year, but can't blame him for getting the big payday opportunity. Just curious Rey, why do you not like him?

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell would be my pick and who I have wanted for a longtime. Good shooter and passing ability to let the young bigs thrive. I would be okay with Mudiay if that's who the Sixers decided they want. Never seen him play since he couldn't make it at SMU and went over to China. I would think we could trade down a few spots if Hezonja was the guy. Plus I don't think my heart could take another RS draft pick from this franchise.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mudiay can't shoot, so he would be another MCW. Russell is the guy, and is the best talent in the Draft. Hezonja would be a good #2 to pair with Russell, but unless Hinkie pulls some kind of deal, it won't happen. Hezonja is a great scorer, but offers nothing else.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Russell's a bad prospect ... I just don't see him as a great option with the 3rd pick in the draft. I want more explosiveness from a player that high. He has trouble beating the better college defenders off the dribble, often having to pick up his dribble because he can't get the angle fast enough. Ironically he reminds me a bit of Evan Turner ... whom I actually liked a good deal at the time.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet Hinkie can trade the picK for someone's #1 in 2024...

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell is the obvious pick. They are in desperate need of a shooter.

SixthStreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scouts don't think Mudiay's shot is that broken. He's actually not a bad spot up shooter. There are some small correctable flaws with footwork and elbow and hand placement from what I've read and also seen on video.

If the Sixers staff think they can fix it, he's the guy, IMO. His defensive potential is through the roof. In a PnR dominated league, you get a guy like Mudiay on the ball and Noel hedging the screen and playing the roller, you've got an enormous advantage.

That said, Russell is such a good offensive fit that if you have doubts about Mudiay's shot, you take Russell. His athletic testing numbers at the combine assured me that his athleticism is not in doubt. I think he's a pure PG that can shoot well. I don't think he's a 2 or combo guard.

I personally don't think you can choose wrong between the 2. They are both also reputedly high character level and work ethic.

If the Lakers throw a wrench in the draft and take one of these 2 over Towns or Okafor, I'm taking the leftover big. We can't assume Embiid will have long term health yet, so I'm not passing on either of them. You can trade them a year from now or Noel for a package starting with an elite lead guard. I think people are putting Okafor under too large a microscope. His post scoring and more importantly, passing ability out of the double team will make him an absolute force in the NBA. People that compare him to Al Jefferson are dumb. Jefferson is a black hole that can't create open shots for anyone but himself. Okafor will create open looks for everyone on the floor. He's like a PG in the paint. I'm very high on Okafor and glad the Knicks can't get him.

SixthStreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mudiay MCW comparisons are lazy too. Mudiay is strong and a bull with the ball in his hands. He does not have the pure explosion of guys like Wall and Rose, but he can force his way to the rim by physically abusing weaker guards. Sort of like a PG version of James Harden. I think he's going to draw a lot of fouls in the league and be a high FTA guy. MCW is so physically weak he's more or less incapable of getting to the rim. Even if Mudiay never becomes a better shooter than MCW I think he will be a significantly better player because his strength makes him a matchup problem on offense and defense.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could live with Mudiay, but I think he will be more of a penetrating PG at the pro level and we need perimeter shooters badly on this team.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chad Ford, ESPN's Mel Kiper for basketball, is on the radio now saying Russell would be a perfect fit for Philly and is likely there at 3.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been watching all the Russell vids I can find (good and bad) and my opinion hasn't really changed much as an underwhelming 3rd pick in the draft. I do like that he can shoot ... it seems we always have crappy shooting Guards. When's the last time we had a "really" good outside shooting Guard? Hawkins? Hornacek? He's also a creative passer, so he can open up opportunities for the bigs inside. Fit-wise he's not a bad match ... the problem I see is his lack of ups and his lack of finishing explosion off the dribble. Those runners he relies on so much in college won't always cut it in the pro's. You have to take it strong to the rim and either make it or draw the contact. Unless he develops into a Steph Curry type who can drain it from anywhere I think his lack of athleticism will hinder him from becoming a top player.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with your take but he is 6-5 and has decent length so if he can shoot and pass he can likely become a pretty good player--and we desperately need shooters.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6'31/2" in socks. 6'5" with sneakers. But, most other guys measure themselves with sneaks too.

NDIrishGuy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all should visit the Sixers board some time and talk there :P

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now it seems very possible that the Lakers will draft Russell. Some think he's the best player in the draft. A lot depends upon who the Lakers will trade for - a PG (Rondo?) or a Big (Cousins?), that will determine who they draft @ #2, or even trade the pick for players/picks. Towns will be the #1 for Minnesota.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell or Okafor and I'm happy. No Euros @#3.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like Okafor @ #3. He's slow and can't defend.

Russell, or a trade down and still get Hezonja.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our D is one of the strengths of the team. Scoring is a liability. Either guy would help

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6'31/2" in socks. 6'5" with sneakers. But, most other guys measure themselves with sneaks too.

Basketball players are measured with their shoes on?? That is freaking pathetic.