• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Kane and Toews Start Asking Price at $12 million

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PER SEASON.

Report: Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane may be seeking $12M annually - CBSSports.com

I think they will settle in the $9-10 million per season range, but that really puts Bowman in a tough spot. The Hawks' salary situation is tricky and some young up and comers like Saad are going to be coming off low dollar deals and will need new contracts during this time as well. Moving Sharp might be a reality and wouldn't be surprised to see others go as well. They will be GIII UFAs in summer 2015.

How does this relate to the Kings? Kopitar is due a new contract in summer 2016 and he was in the group of Selke finalists including Toews, has two Cups like Kane and Toews, is a major part of the franchise like Kane and Toews, and will be a premier player the summer he is eligible to become a UFA.

Unfortunately they will be signed before Kopitar, which means they will set the starting point essentially.

DOD0083

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me thinks that Kopitar has the demeanor and faith in the organization that he would take a little less to remain a King. I can see 9M per over a long-term contract being done.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$24M of what is rumored to be a high 60's or low 70's cap for 2 players. That only leaves approximately $47M for the other 21 guys on your roster if the cap is at $71M. Crazy. No way Chicago can pay that. That had better be a starting point for them and then settle for a long-term deal that averages out to around $7-8M per year.

Ox

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$24M of what is rumored to be a high 60's or low 70's cap for 2 players. That only leaves approximately $47M for the other 21 guys on your roster if the cap is at $71M. Crazy. No way Chicago can pay that. That had better be a starting point for them and then settle for a long-term deal that averages out to around $7-8M per year.

Ox

They won't take $7-8 million a year. Guys like Ovechkin make $9+, and he hasn't won a team award ever. Plus he signed his deal when the cap was lower, teams can spend up to 25% on one player under the post 2005 CBAs, which means for both those guys $12 million will be about 17%, and $9-10 million would be between 13-14% with the cap going up to about $71 million at that time.

Since they are free agents on their current team, the max deal they would get with $7-8 million over 8 years would be $56-$64 million. I just can't see these guys taking something that low. Doughty is at $56 million over 8 years.