• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Jason Collins

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won't truly be equal until the biggest gay name in sports gets indicted on federal charges of drug possession, tries to carry a gun onto a plane, picks up a third DUI, tries to bribe a cop with a billion dollars, or is accused of r*pe and has to buy his husband a rock the size of a golf ball.

*sigh*

Maybe someday......

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the news and it seems like everyone of importance wants to use this chance to show their support and have rushed to their tweeter's to get their name out there.

Maybe it's me but it just looks like a bunch of people trying to get their name attached to a major story. He announced it, it's over and lets move on.

You got it. These particular people make me sick. They just wanted the positive press they know they're going to get from their kind words.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just dont know where it goes from here

I accept it ... no big deal at all to me ... theyre equals ... theyre humans ... I know that one gay athlete coming out may change the opinion of some bigot out there and also may ease the burden/torment a young gay person out there who feels isolated and alone might feel

but then what? does being gay become a stat? do highschool seniors declare which college university they are going to and on the same day declare whether they are gay/straight ???

are we gonna hear ... "this is the first stanley cup won by a team captained by a gay person (and he's swedish!!!)"

in summary ... what Im getting at is ... meh

You have to let it go. The Canucks lost.

It's a pretty big deal IMO for two reasons:

1) Current players who might have homophobic leanings will hopefully realize that just because you're gay, doesn't diminish your ability as a player or teammate. That type of realization normally only comes when somebody you never expected comes out, and Collins appears to be that character.

2) The reaction of current players will hopefully demonstrate that despite the fact lockerrooms can generally be pretty homophobic environments, it might only be a surface phenomenon, and that beneath that, there actually is quite a bit of acceptance.

I know some people are kind of meh about this, and don't think it should be a big deal, but don't underestimate what kind of strife closeted individuals have to endure. A 12 year NBA career is a huge accomplishment, but if Collins had been openly gay in college, there's a good chance that career never happens.

While I wish we lived in a world where labels like that didn't matter, but the bottom line is they do to a lot of cavemen. It is a big deal because it should open dialogue about it and the majority of people can start to realize that it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Problem is, the first time some moron calls him "faggot" in the heat of a game we will hear about nothing else but that for MONTHS. Anything to distract us from the discussion that homosexuality is not a disease or condition. It's a physical characteristic like blue eyes or long legs.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It needs to be a "big deal" now so that it soon WON'T be a big deal. The reason it's not a big deal now is because guys and gals are hiding it and lying about it...they shouldn't have to do that. That's the major point here.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a shame we live in a society where people feel they need to hide or lie about who they really are in their personal life. Being gay has nothing to do with sports, or how you play them. (Just look at how that Dad throws to his kid in that car commercial)

The fact that a player coming out makes such big news only reinforces the fact that people who are gay are labeled as "different" or not "normal" and must hide who they really are as a preson.

Society loves labels though, so I hope he enjoys being remembered as the first athlete to come out rather than what he accomplished on the court.

I don't even know where I'm going with this?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It needs to be a "big deal" now so that it soon WON'T be a big deal. The reason it's not a big deal now is because guys and gals are hiding it and lying about it...they shouldn't have to do that. That's the major point here.

Agreed.

As a fan of professional sports I want to see the best of the best at their craft out there playing (preferably for my team). The unwritten rule that gays shouldn't, or couldn't, be in the locker room has undoubtedly prevented us sports fans from watching some illustrious careers.

This should not be big news but it is. Well done Collins.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a shame we live in a society where people feel they need to hide or lie about who they really are in their personal life. Being gay has nothing to do with sports, or how you play them. (Just look at how that Dad throws to his kid in that car commercial)

The fact that a player coming out makes such big news only reinforces the fact that people who are gay are labeled as "different" or not "normal" and must hide who they really are as a preson.

Society loves labels though, so I hope he enjoys being remembered as the first athlete to come out rather than what he accomplished on the court.

I don't even know where I'm going with this?

Well said. Its exactly what I wanted to post but didnt know how to put it into words without confusing or pissing people off.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

exactly. now the question "who' gonna go first" is off the table.
courageous act, good for him, and good for anyone it might help.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly. now the question "who' gonna go first" is off the table.
courageous act, good for him, and good for anyone it might help.

Just like all the other minorities/repressed groups. "First woman!" "First African American!" etc. Gotta be a trailblazer first, then the title disappears and the action is all that remains.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
courageous act

I know I might take some heat for this, but I hate the fact that some people call it a courageous act.

Speaking out about being absued or molested is a courageous act. Testifying in court against someone, even though you fear possible repruccussions, is courageous.

If Collins was "courageous", he would have come out earlier in his career, instead of at the age of 34.

But like I said before, if society wasn't so obsessed with labels, there wouldn't be a need for these types of stories in the first place. Being gay doesn't change anything about the person playing sports no more than an athlete saying he's a Rebuplican.

Bottom line is that people are the problem, always have been.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like all the other minorities/repressed groups. "First woman!" "First African American!" etc. Gotta be a trailblazer first, then the title disappears and the action is all that remains.

I disagree with that. You always hear stats that say "he becomes only the 3rd minority player to...." or "not since this player, have we seen a minority player..."

Being first gets more press, but it doesn't just end there.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with that. You always hear stats that say "he becomes only the 3rd minority player to...." or "not since this player, have we seen a minority player..."

Being first gets more press, but it doesn't just end there.

No, but it starts to break down the idea that those people are somehow incapable of achieving anything because of their race/gender/orientation. The further we get from "the first" the better it gets. People stop viewing them as lesser in whatever it is they do.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but it starts to break down the idea that those people are somehow incapable of achieving anything because of their race/gender/orientation. The further we get from "the first" the better it gets. People stop viewing them as lesser in whatever it is they do.

IMO, it only highlights the fact that people are different based on race/gender/orientation. There shoudn't even be a "the first" at all. People are people.

I know, I know....in a perfect World I guess.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, it only highlights the fact that people are different based on race/gender/orientation. There shoudn't even be a "the first" at all. People are people.

Is EJ the first Bills black QB?

:D

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, you're right...but yes, perfect world sans labels. However, in a world laden with those labels, trying our best to break down the negatives associated with them is probably the best we can do.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time believing this is a big deal. It would be one thing if he was a young player who was an All Star.

Jason Collins is a 12 year veteran who played for 6 different teams & is a free agent. The 34 year old Center has been a backup his entire career.

He might not be playing in the NBA next season.

My thoughts exactly. The only reason he came out is for publicity and to attempt to guilt an NBA team into signing him. Wrong person :lame: