• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Jason Collins

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Becomes the first active player from any of the 4 major North American sports leagues to come out today.

Could be interesting to see what, if any, impact it has on his off-season prospects, as he's a UFA now.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meh.....I dont care if he likes guys,girls, llamas, etc. If you dont want it to be a big deal, dont make it a big deal.

Unfortunately I am sure it will have some effect on his options with teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time believing this is a big deal. It would be one thing if he was a young player who was an All Star.

Jason Collins is a 12 year veteran who played for 6 different teams & is a free agent. The 34 year old Center has been a backup his entire career.

He might not be playing in the NBA next season.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a big deal for a good reason though, in my opinion. In order for this to NOT become a big deal (as it should be in sports), someone needed to step up that has been in the room with teams. He's that guy. Maybe it spurs on others to come clean, and I hope it does. He's not the only guy to do this though. A member of the USMNT came out a few weeks back, and Britney Griner did as well, with little fanfare. The reason being: it's accepted in those realms. The NHL has created a pretty welcoming environment for it...but I'm not sure how it'd be accepted in the NFL or MLB. The NBA is showing pretty good colors today, meanwhile idiots like Mike Wallace show a complete lack of decency on the matter. Look, I don't support the act fervently, it's something I struggle with, but daggone it people shouldn't be afraid to say that they're homosexual. That's just wrong. I don't care what they do, but who they are as a person. Sexual orientation doesn't define someone...and why in the world are people so afraid of them? "Oh no, he saw my butt! Maybe his gay will rub off on me!" Time to grow up and treat people as equals regardless of race, creed, nationality, orientation, gender...just respect people and we'll do well.

annnnnd SCENE!

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time believing this is a big deal. It would be one thing if he was a young player who was an All Star.

Jason Collins is a 12 year veteran who played for 6 different teams & is a free agent. The 34 year old Center has been a backup his entire career.

He might not be playing in the NBA next season.

However, it may just provide the needed incentive for the next young star player to come forward based on Jason Collins doing so and the reaction (both positive and negative) it generates.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a much bigger deal in a top-level men's sport too. Using Pix' example of Britney Griner, I don't think people are as surprised to hear about a top female athlete as a male athlete.

For whatever stupid reason, a lot of people assume that most female athletes are gay, so they're not shocked by the revelation. But since men's sports are supposed to be so tough and masculine, having a gay player is a big shock to a lot of people.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a much bigger deal in a top-level men's sport too. Using Pix' example of Britney Griner, I don't think people are as surprised to hear about a top female athlete as a male athlete.

For whatever stupid reason, a lot of people assume that most female athletes are gay, so they're not shocked by the revelation. But since men's sports are supposed to be so tough and masculine, having a gay player is a big shock to a lot of people.

Not only for public perception though...straight women, in general, are much more accepting to lesbians than straight men are to gay men. I have multiple lesbian friends. Heck, I've lived with two...doesn't bug me (although the first one had feelings for me I couldn't reciprocate, so that was a little awkward, but meh...you get over it). Men in the sporting world are typically macho, and they assume that being gay means being soft...which is not true (though it can be). I also tend to think that a lot of straight guys are constantly afraid of being hit on or something, but I doubt that would ever happen. Professionalism exists. The irony being that these straight players often treat female reporters like pieces of meat (though some bring it upon themselves by dressing like one).

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just dont know where it goes from here

I accept it ... no big deal at all to me ... theyre equals ... theyre humans ... I know that one gay athlete coming out may change the opinion of some bigot out there and also may ease the burden/torment a young gay person out there who feels isolated and alone might feel

but then what? does being gay become a stat? do highschool seniors declare which college university they are going to and on the same day declare whether they are gay/straight ???

are we gonna hear ... "this is the first stanley cup won by a team captained by a gay person (and he's swedish!!!)"

in summary ... what Im getting at is ... meh

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, It's time for me to break my silence. To all of my fellow Hooplans......... I am a lesbian.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a pretty big deal IMO for two reasons:

1) Current players who might have homophobic leanings will hopefully realize that just because you're gay, doesn't diminish your ability as a player or teammate. That type of realization normally only comes when somebody you never expected comes out, and Collins appears to be that character.

2) The reaction of current players will hopefully demonstrate that despite the fact lockerrooms can generally be pretty homophobic environments, it might only be a surface phenomenon, and that beneath that, there actually is quite a bit of acceptance.

I know some people are kind of meh about this, and don't think it should be a big deal, but don't underestimate what kind of strife closeted individuals have to endure. A 12 year NBA career is a huge accomplishment, but if Collins had been openly gay in college, there's a good chance that career never happens.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, It's time for me to break my silence. To all of my fellow Hooplans......... I am a lesbian.

Somehow, my wife telling me that "Steve from Buffalo called" will never quite have the same meaning ever again :D

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, it may just provide the needed incentive for the next young star player to come forward based on Jason Collins doing so and the reaction (both positive and negative) it generates.

Good point. This could definately lead to other players coming out if people are positive about it.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won't truly be equal until the biggest gay name in sports gets indicted on federal charges of drug possession, tries to carry a gun onto a plane, picks up a third DUI, tries to bribe a cop with a billion dollars, or is accused of r*pe and has to buy his husband a rock the size of a golf ball.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won't truly be equal until the biggest gay name in sports gets indicted on federal charges of drug possession, tries to carry a gun onto a plane, picks up a third DUI, tries to bribe a cop with a billion dollars, or is accused of r*pe and has to buy his husband a rock the size of a golf ball.

You forgot get away with Murder.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True Eddie.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the news and it seems like everyone of importance wants to use this chance to show their support and have rushed to their tweeter's to get their name out there.

Maybe it's me but it just looks like a bunch of people trying to get their name attached to a major story. He announced it, it's over and lets move on.