• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - I'm bored, Part Tanev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CONGRATS....

dont blow up the moon

I'll see what I can do... :spy:

YEAH!!!!!!!!! Now you and your fellow scientists can shoot each other in the ass with it. :laser:

Only when on break, of course. :nerd:

I've been shot with lasers like this. You don't really notice unless you just stand there and let it burn your flesh.

Ooo, congrats.

Are you putting it on a shark? Please tell us you are putting it on a shark. Or at least on Joe Pavelski.

No.... :pout:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This laser though, I'm so excited for it. If we get the one we talked about yesterday, it'll be a nanosecond pulse laser with high power and tunable wavelengths from 420 nm to 740 nm, and 270 nm to 370 nm. Our experiments will have so much better resolution! :nerd:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This laser though, I'm so excited for it. If we get the one we talked about yesterday, it'll be a nanosecond pulse laser with high power and tunable wavelengths from 420 nm to 740 nm, and 270 nm to 370 nm. Our experiments will have so much better resolution! :nerd:

what would you use it for? what kind of experiment.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's good. We all need closure. Closure is healthy.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what would you use it for? what kind of experiment.

We can get pretty exact information about the energetics of molecules from photoelectron spectroscopy, but we do imaging, so we also probe (at least qualitatively) the molecules' electronic structures.

Link, you say?

Sanov Group

That's my research group's homepage. :)

We're working on something like four publications right now which could be submitted for review by the end of the month, with two more back projects which could be submitted within the next three months. We're having a productive summer. :thumb:

That's good. We all need closure. Closure is healthy.

Lawyers... :rolleyes:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can get pretty exact information about the energetics of molecules from photoelectron spectroscopy, but we do imaging, so we also probe (at least qualitatively) the molecules' electronic structures.

Link, you say?

Sanov Group

That's my research group's homepage. :)

We're working on something like four publications right now which could be submitted for review by the end of the month, with two more back projects which could be submitted within the next three months. We're having a productive summer. :thumb:

Lawyers... :rolleyes:

Im not sure much of what you said but what I will do is go do a little research and try to understand it :D

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not sure much of what you said but what I will do is go do a little research and try to understand it :D

For determining electronic structure, I barely understand it, so I won't even bother with that.

But photoelectron spectroscopy is taught in gen chem, so I'll give that a shot.

Basically, you hit a molecule with light of known energy, and it knocks off an electron, and you measure the speed of the electron, you can determine the electron binding energy for that electron by simply subtracting the kinetic energy of the electron from the energy of the light.

That is to say:

hv = eKE + eBE

hv is the energy of the light (Planck's constant times the frequency of the light), eKE is the electron's kinetic energy, and eBE is the electron binding energy.

The energetic component of my research really is that simple. (You know, if you ignore Franck-Condon vibrations and what not... :rolleyes:)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As do I.

But money can sometimes help you spread more love of the subject. Wait, that makes it sound like a STD. :L

Yeah, but if I stay in academia, I'm not so sure I'll get the rights to my patents anyway. They might go to the school.

Speaking of school's taking the money of academics, I learned something very interesting recently. I'm being paid this summer out of my PI's grant money so that I can focus on research and don't have to teach. It turns out that he pays a "tax" to the school of 31% on top of what he pays me, as well as an additional 51% of my pay to the government out of his grant. So for every $100 I make, $182 comes out of the grant.

The school is now planning on upping their keep to 57%, which means for every $100 I make, $208 will come out of the grant.

There are four graduate students in my lab, and we each get paid $20 per week. Our grant will take a huge hit soon. (Which is why we're buying the laser now. ;)) But seriously, what a ridiculous way to go about things. No wonder grad students only get paid for half the hours they work (optimistically).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I screwed up when putting the nozzle back into the chamber of my instrument.

Now instead of four hours of collecting data, I'll only get two.

Rats. :tsk:

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not often someone passes me the puck for an empty-netter.

All the credit goes to Eloco. :yo:

Datsuyk_jpg_475x310_q85.jpg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nozzle still isn't aligned... I have to open the chamber again... :tsk:

At least this time I know which way I need to move it.

Status
Not open for further replies.