• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - I'm bored, Part Pangos & Bell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Davis should have just went with the booster juice instead

bautistatransitposte.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpeg

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel good sports month continues!

He tested positive for Adderall, its not a PED. You do need an exemption to use it which he did not have. Which is really stupid of him.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adderall, eh, that's the stuff Browner got busted with when he was the Seahawks.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel good sports month continues!

He tested positive for Adderall, its not a PED. You do need an exemption to use it which he did not have. Which is really stupid of him.

i would have thought Aderall would be considered a ped when it comes to baseball? doesnt it purportedly increase focus and concentration? :noidea:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would have thought Aderall would be considered a ped when it comes to baseball? doesnt it purportedly increase focus and concentration? :noidea:

I don't know, if so I wouldn't think it would be allowed at all even with an exception. I don't really know anything about the drug.

I will say, while not a doctor (thought I did watch some Quincy ME growing up) that I judging from some interviews I wouldn't be amazed if Davis has some ADHD which adderall is often prescribed for.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Damien Cox still think Joey Bats is taking PED's?

coxsucker always lives up to his name but you just never know right? I wouldnt print such an accusation in a paper but dont mind going poonerman on a message board :nod:

and if it ever goes bad for Jose he can always say he never lied ... he always said he was on the juice :noidea:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, if so I wouldn't think it would be allowed at all even with an exception. I don't really know anything about the drug.

I will say, while not a doctor (thought I did watch some Quincy ME growing up) that I judging from some interviews I wouldn't be amazed if Davis has some ADHD which adderall is often prescribed for.

I was more a Trapper John MD kinda kid :noidea:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was more Quincy M.E. than Trapper John M.D. myself - Of course, then a crazy Canadian by the name of Howie Mandel made an appearance on St. Elsewhere and I started getting into that show.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In last nights Angels game, Trout was hit twice. That makes it three times in two games against the same team. That is not a coincidence. Pitching inside is an art and most pitchers aren't artists.

So in the bottom of the ninth, a new pitcher for the Angels, throws his first pitch and it hits the Texas batter square in his wallet. The home plate ump warns the Angels pitcher and both benches. The Angels were winning handily and it was the last game of the series, but the look on Angels manager Mike Scoscia and pitching coach Mike Butcher was a "really, wtf?" The Angels pitcher's next pitch missed the catcher completely.

So in summation, the face of MLB can get pegged three times in 24 hours and the umps do nothing, but a relief pitcher in bottom of the ninth of a blowout game hits a batter in his rear end with his first pitch and now it needs to be escalated.

Yep. I was making this point the other night on twitter. Although I think the umps have a large part in this, I still think the burden is on the league to actually do something about it. There needs to be black and white rules in place so that the umpires aren't stuck in "gut feeling" land. Make a rule about the intentional hit batter, or simply about the number of hit batters by a certain pitcher. Obviously that won't be easy, because there's a lot of guys out there (*cough* Charlie Morton *cough*) who hit a lot of guys with breaking balls, etc. However, simply ignoring it in a day and age where there's a focus on injury prevention is negligent. Baseball just seems too scared to hold guys accountable outside of PEDs. So, last night alone: Trout is hit twice, Stanton is hit in the face, and McCutchen is buzzed an inch from his forehead. Oh, and Headley got hit in the face too (although that one appeared to be a cutter that got away). So that's three super stars and a Yankee.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adderall is a drug for ADD/ADHD, helps maintain focus and keeps you sharp. So yeah, unless prescribed for a known condition, big no-no. That's the drug that's big on college campuses during finals week for a reason. However, I had read somewhere that he had an exemption in the past, but not this year?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The story shaping up is that he was on Adderall for ADHD, and was concerned about his sex drive as he and his wife were trying to have kids. He went off the medication and did not renew his exception for it. At some point, he apparently started taking it again. Going off the medicine very likely affected his focus and explains the dramatic drop in his performance.

At best, he's a moron who can't read/comprehend the rules. At worst he's a guy who, in response to his production and was either coaxed or decided on his own to use a banned substance that, by definition, would improve his performance.

I will be watching the Orioles front office very carefully on this one. I hope and pray that no one in a suit said "Get back on it".

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The story shaping up is that he was on Adderall for ADHD, and was concerned about his sex drive as he and his wife were trying to have kids. He went off the medication and did not renew his exception for it. At some point, he apparently started taking it again. Going off the medicine very likely affected his focus and explains the dramatic drop in his performance.

At best, he's a moron who can't read/comprehend the rules. At worst he's a guy who, in response to his production and was either coaxed or decided on his own to use a banned substance that, by definition, would improve his performance.

I will be watching the Orioles front office very carefully on this one. I hope and pray that no one in a suit said "Get back on it".

I wonder if he was struggling outside of just his field performance as well, finding it hard to focus on basic tasks, having trouble staying in conversations, losing focus during team meetings, etc., and got back on it, forgetting about the exemption rules.

I'm sure part of his motivation was on-field performance, but off-field effects likely also came into play, and it's not so far-fetched that a guy who has a condition which affects focus would forget an important step.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure the O's official scorer will still give Davis a hit on this, even though it was clearly an error on Davis's part.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if he was struggling outside of just his field performance as well, finding it hard to focus on basic tasks, having trouble staying in conversations, losing focus during team meetings, etc., and got back on it, forgetting about the exemption rules.

I'm sure part of his motivation was on-field performance, but off-field effects likely also came into play, and it's not so far-fetched that a guy who has a condition which affects focus would forget an important step.

I sort of understand, however: there's tons of people surrounding the players in place for these reasons. There's a whole sports medicine team in place to ask these things. Crazy to not think to ask at least.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the reason I don't so much suspect intentional foul play is that Davis could have taken it without repercussion if he just got the exemption. It's a pointless risk to try and "sneak" it. That leads me more to believe he just had an oversight.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the reason I don't so much suspect intentional foul play is that Davis could have taken it without repercussion if he just got the exemption. It's a pointless risk to try and "sneak" it. That leads me more to believe he just had an oversight.

I don't know if teams do it, but with everything that is at stake - why wouldn't teams do their own testing? The team could have found it and petitioned the league to get his exemption re-instated. No issue.

If I am paying millions for someone to perform a function, I am going to be damn sure I know everything about everything that could put that investment at risk.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I was making this point the other night on twitter. Although I think the umps have a large part in this, I still think the burden is on the league to actually do something about it. There needs to be black and white rules in place so that the umpires aren't stuck in "gut feeling" land. Make a rule about the intentional hit batter, or simply about the number of hit batters by a certain pitcher. Obviously that won't be easy, because there's a lot of guys out there (*cough* Charlie Morton *cough*) who hit a lot of guys with breaking balls, etc. However, simply ignoring it in a day and age where there's a focus on injury prevention is negligent. Baseball just seems too scared to hold guys accountable outside of PEDs. So, last night alone: Trout is hit twice, Stanton is hit in the face, and McCutchen is buzzed an inch from his forehead. Oh, and Headley got hit in the face too (although that one appeared to be a cutter that got away). So that's three super stars and a Yankee.

Jayson Werth and Ian Desmond both got beaned by Colon the other night as well. BOTH times he hit the batters it was immediately following a home run by the previous guy in the lineup. Ump tossed him the second time he did it (Werth) and Colon didn't even argue.

Baseball is ALWAYS way behind the times. I don't even understand why there are still umps calling balls and strikes. It's insane for something as important and routinely messed up as plate calls are. It'd be like Samsung refusing to use e-mail as a company.

But back to the topic, they just need to implement some standard for a suspension when a guy gets tossed. Probation the first time, 5 games the next, 20 games next, 50 games next, full season, etc. Each season everyone moves back one step so the problem children don't start in the same place as the well behaved.

Leagues constantly make judgment calls on these matters instead of building in standards they can rely on and agree upon with the union. It would cut down on criticism of the league and let the players know exactly what the rules are they are playing by. Better for everyone.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jayson Werth and Ian Desmond both got beaned by Colon the other night as well. BOTH times he hit the batters it was immediately following a home run by the previous guy in the lineup. Ump tossed him the second time he did it (Werth) and Colon didn't even argue.

Baseball is ALWAYS way behind the times. I don't even understand why there are still umps calling balls and strikes. It's insane for something as important and routinely messed up as plate calls are. It'd be like Samsung refusing to use e-mail as a company.

But back to the topic, they just need to implement some standard for a suspension when a guy gets tossed. Probation the first time, 5 games the next, 20 games next, 50 games next, full season, etc. Each season everyone moves back one step so the problem children don't start in the same place as the well behaved.

Leagues constantly make judgment calls on these matters instead of building in standards they can rely on and agree upon with the union. It would cut down on criticism of the league and let the players know exactly what the rules are they are playing by. Better for everyone.

It's the gray area that's crazy to me. Most leagues have black and white rules and standards in place to discipline this stuff, but instead it's put into the hands of the ump. And the ump decides things based on how he's feeling that day, pretty much. It'd take bias and guesstimation out of the game if you simply make it clear cut how to discipline a guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.