• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: How I spent my summer vacation?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right there with ya,, I had no idea. I'll have to do my research if/when we go looking at property in W Ontario.
u should be alright in Ontario. Only BC has the legal issue. Natives in the rest of canada hadtheir legal rights "extinguished" through legislation when this country was formed ... not in BC though

URBAN AREAS?

How in God's name would that work? "Hey, we like that mall / Arena / business park / condo community"

thats EXACTLY how it works ... they claim it ... they dont get it of course but then the wait is for a land swapwith the federal govt

i think their are 4 nativebands with claims to parts of vancouver as their ancestral home

heres the musqueam example ... biggest one

Musqueam Indian Band: This Land Is My Land | Vancouver Real Estate | BC Business

they have claimed 150,000 hectares of land as theirs in and around vancouver ... treaty process is slow ... but alot of people think its gonna get ramped up with the department of defense "selling" land on the west side of vancouver conservatively valued at potentially a billion dollars

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/08/15/bc-jericho-lands-sale.html

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
u should be alright in Ontario. Only BC has the legal issue. Natives in the rest of canada hadtheir legal rights "extinguished" through legislation when this country was formed ... not in BC though

Because the Royal Proclamation of 1763 stated that the crown must negotiate and sign treaties with the indigenous people before land could be ceded to a colony, the Numbered Treaties were negotiated in most parts of the Prairie Provinces. The Government of the Colony of British Columbia, however, failed to negotiate many treaties and as a result, most of the province's land is not covered by treaties. The few exceptions are the 14 Douglas Treaties on Vancouver Island, Treaty 8 (1899) in the Northeast of B.C., and the 2000 Nisga'a Final Agreement.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glen Lake, Michigan. Visit it if your ever in the distal interphalangeal joint of the ring finger on the Mitten.

Seriously man. Nothing like sandy bottom fresh water lakes. Fishing was fannnntastic this year. I had "the one that got away" finally. *sigh* At least 24 inches, probably 5.5-6lbs, large mouth. Half the boat saw him when he leapt from the water, so I don't feel as bad. Still stings. Luckily Dad helped cheer me up by taking us on a charter boat on Michigan. Caught a few salmon, 36 incher. Good eats.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right there with ya,, I had no idea. I'll have to do my research if/when we go looking at property in W Ontario.

thats EXACTLY how it works ... they claim it ... they dont get it of course but then the wait is for a land swapwith the federal govt

i think their are 4 nativebands with claims to parts of vancouver as their ancestral home

heres the musqueam example ... biggest one

Musqueam Indian Band: This Land Is My Land | Vancouver Real Estate | BC Business

they have claimed 150,000 hectares of land as theirs in and around vancouver ... treaty process is slow ... but alot of people think its gonna get ramped up with the department of defense "selling" land on the west side of vancouver conservatively valued at potentially a billion dollars

Jericho Lands sale worries Vancouver residents - British Columbia - CBC News

Thanks. I enjoy learning new things. Very interesting.

Glen Lake, Michigan. Visit it if your ever in the distal interphalangeal joint of the ring finger on the Mitten.

Seriously man. Nothing like sandy bottom fresh water lakes. Fishing was fannnntastic this year. I had "the one that got away" finally. *sigh* At least 24 inches, probably 5.5-6lbs, large mouth. Half the boat saw him when he leapt from the water, so I don't feel as bad. Still stings. Luckily Dad helped cheer me up by taking us on a charter boat on Michigan. Caught a few salmon, 36 incher. Good eats.

Yeah, that's Lake St Clair. Shallows out about 100 yards, sandy floor and the water was at least 20 degrees warmer than Erie. Water was super clear, and there was a nice gentle breeze in the cove we were in. Pure awesome.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Bingo.

On top of mortgage payments and federal taxes you had to pay a lease of close to $7000 a year. Steep as it is, but it was only locked in at that rate for a finite number of years.

Might be hard to get market value down the road if the lease goes up significantly... or if the local band adjusts their claim.
A friend of mine has a cabin on a very scenic and out of the way lake (past Squamish, then about 45 minutes off roading over a mountain to get there). His cabin isn't on native land, but he has to drive through native land to get there. Well, of course they have to pay a rights of use lease. and of course it has been creeping up year by year because they have no leverage. If they want to use the cabins, they need to cross the land.

URBAN AREAS?

How in God's name would that work? "Hey, we like that mall / Arena / business park / condo community"
I had read a while back that the island of Montreal was covered 225% by native claims.
ie. more than one band has claims, and they overlap. a lot

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
it has

last 2 weeks of august is pretty much always like this here though (just in time for the PNE)

but this morning ... yeesh ... its like mother nature is giving us a November 17th sneak preview

holy shit what a storm tonight!
BIG lightning strikes about every 20-30 seconds, but you can barely hear the thunder through sound of the downpour.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
holy shit what a storm tonight!
BIG lightning strikes about every 20-30 seconds, but you can barely hear the thunder through sound of the downpour.

Just heard on the news that there were over 1,000 lightning strikes in about 90 minutes over greater Vancouver last night. I was worried that my every 20-30 seconds would be taken as hyperbole
It was a big freakin storm, is what I'm saying

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard on the news that there were over 1,000 lightning strikes in about 90 minutes over greater Vancouver last night. I was worried that my every 20-30 seconds would be taken as hyperbole
It was a big freakin storm, is what I'm saying

was sleeping and I was awoken to a silver flash THROUGH my closed eyes. I could see teh fucking lightning thought my eye lids. it was CRAZY

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first day of my summer vacation..........................I woke up................................................Then I went down town..................................to look for a job..........................................................................................Then I hung out in front of the drug store...........................................................................................................................................................................The second day of my summer vacation..........................I woke up................................................Then I went down town..................................to look for a job..........................................................................................Then I hung out in front of the drug store...........................................................................................................................................................................The third day of my summer vacation..........................I woke up................................................Then I went down town..................................to look for a job..........................................................................................Then I hung out in front of the drug store...........................................................................................................................................................................Te fourth day of my summer vacation..........................I woke up................................................Then I went down town..................................to look for a job..........................................................................................Then I got a job.........................................................Keeping people from hanging out in front of the drug store...........................................................................................................................................................................

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that Marty McFly was doing test runs for Dr Brown over B.C. last night. :lol:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I heard that Marty McFly was doing test runs for Dr Brown over B.C. last night. :lol:

they would have caught enough gigahoeys

9625274559_52defc9d0b_c.jpg

9625476647_d3ca10bde8_c.jpg

BS52UchCcAAas4s.jpg:large

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, Great pics puck ! That last one is fucking incredible, I've never seen a bolt that wide! Holy shit!

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great fractals, puck.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see ya up and around, Boss.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see ya up and around, Boss.

Thanks BB. Coming along slow but sure. Had a bit of a set back because I was over doing it but the nice lady at PT just told me to slow down a bit. I want to get back to 100% so I've been pushing myself hard but like she said if I keep over doing it that will slow down the healing process.

I hope everything heals up soon because my cousin from Toronto wants to go down to S Carolina soon to see my sis and bro in law. It's too bad this shit had to fuck up my summer but there are many that have it worse so I feel lucky in that way.

Thanks again.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rented an old fire lookout in Idaho this past week and went up there with some family to pick huckleberries. One of the days we decided to do a 14 mile hike to nearby Mallard and Fawn lakes. About halfway through the hike we got caught in a thunderstorm, damn near on the top of the mountain with a very sparse smattering of trees here and there. The closest lightning strike hit a tree about 200 feet away from us. I wish I had video of it, but we dumped all of our metal/electronics for obvious reasons. I've never been scared more shitless in my life, but it was also an incredible experience, though one I hope I'll never go through again.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rented an old fire lookout in Idaho this past week and went up there with some family to pick huckleberries. One of the days we decided to do a 14 mile hike to nearby Mallard and Fawn lakes. About halfway through the hike we got caught in a thunderstorm, damn near on the top of the mountain with a very sparse smattering of trees here and there. The closest lightning strike hit a tree about 200 feet away from us. I wish I had video of it, but we dumped all of our metal/electronics for obvious reasons. I've never been scared more shitless in my life, but it was also an incredible experience, though one I hope I'll never go through again.

Sounds biter sweet, one of those vacations you'll never forget beautiful area but scary as hell with the storm. As long as nobody got hurt it's all good. All in all a time that you will never forget.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
another lightning storm tonight. great pic

546941_10151796276282808_1414255194_n.jpg

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First time in a long time my powers out... Strangely unsettling andits only been 3 hours lol